Framptons '54 Custom found

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Oranjeaap, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Here's the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYzScXofjRM[/ame]

2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

So here's the early story (which I'm sure many of us have read/heard/discussed before) of his '54 as told by the man himself (from his FB page):

[​IMG]

"Peter Frampton
    October 22, at 1:22pm

There's nothing to compare to us guitar nerds when talking authenticity, is there?
    So here's the story, This guitar was originally a 1954 Fretless Wonder, Black Beauty Les Paul. It had the 2 early P90 pickups. Marc Mariana bought it in the 60's and wanted to turn it into a 1957 type 3-pickup Les Paul Custom. He wanted it to be like the one Marv Tarplin is holding up on the early Miracles album cover. Marc sanded the neck and body to remove the finish and then decided he wanted Gibson to refinish it in black. It was then routed to house 3 humbuckers, refinished and sent back to him.
    In 1970 when Humble Pie were playing the Fillmore West in San Francisco, Marc lent me the guitar to use. After the 3 or 4 shows that weekend I asked if I could buy the guitar. Marc then said, "No, I'd like to give it to you!" So now you know why he has PF Artist Approved #1 (PFAA#1) of the recreations, which is before PF #1 of the main run. I am eternally thankful to Marc.
    If there's anymore nay saying to come I will be obliged to update any details you feel are in dispute. LOL
    Thanks to All
    pf"

Pretty cool Marc Mariana got one!

1 person likes this.
  3. johno7

johno7 Junior Member

his 60 with double whites is in edgware

4. delawaregold

delawaregold _______Artie_______ Super Mod

Truly an epic thread! Thanks for bringing this back to the top,
    for the new members who may have missed it the first time around
    :thumb: