Forum question

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Sharky, May 24, 2017.

1. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

Hi all,

when I open an unread thread it often happens that I end up either on page 2, 3 or even the last page. Sometimes it opens at the very beginning, which I would prefer.

I checked the setting in my profile and didn't find an option to change this behavior.

When I open a thread I already opened before, it jumps to the first unread answer, which is nice.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Not quite sure about the troubles you're having, but I'm moving this to the Front Desk section where you're more in the path of help.

3. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

OK, thanks.

My problem is that when I open an unread thread, it will open at a more or less random position, for example on page three when a thread has eight pages, and not as before the new forum was installed at the first/initial posting of the thread.

HeartString likes this.
  4. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

The page numbers are really close to the thread title. If you click on the thread title it will take you to page 1 if you click a bit lower you'll catch a page number and go there instead. Are you using a cell phone with the mobile ap?

Malikon likes this.
  5. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

When I open a thread, it usually goes to the first unread post; I think this is a great improvement.

6. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

no, desktop computer, huge screen, no way I click on anything I don't want to. I just tried it several times.

This is how it looks when I move the cursor over the topic, the page numbers pop up on the lower bout, the content of the initial posting above and I can click on everything as targeted as I want. I can also click onto the farest left side of the thread title, where the page ## are not even close. Even though this is a thread I have never opened before, it will just open somewhere

screen.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    HeartString likes this.
  7. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

Hopefully someone from MLP admin will see this and help you.

8. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

I don't know what this is. I go to an unread, unopened (by me) thread, and I get the first page.

I go to a thread I've read or posted in before, And I get sent to the middle somewhere.

9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

it's been happening to me too

10. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

me too, I didn't question it and figured it was just bringing me to a new post or something.

I would just click back or forward to get where I wanted to be and chalked it up to the new software..

Great! Now I'M gonna obsess over it! :Ohno:

Apparently there is no rhyme or reason...

11. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

OK guys, here's the easy fix for all of you facing this problem. If you want to go to the first posting of a multiple pages thread, just click on the date shown in the headline of the thread, not on the headline's text, and it will bring you to the initial posting. After that, everything's just fine. When reopening it, you will be jumping to the first unread posting, more or less reliably

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    DarrellV likes this.