[Forum Luthier content] Something wicked comes this way...

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Kølabrennern, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

Basically, it's like new wood, that's kiln dried. Kinda makes you wonder how much factor NOS air dried wood makes?

2. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

3. mono

mono Senior Member

Killer guitar, you are a lucky man. I've been in contact with Scott a few times but never had the cash for a build. Hopefully he won't become "boutique" in the near fitire :)

Lots of photos on arrival please!!!

4. Electric Bison

Electric Bison Senior Member

Yeah. Profit, to me, is in the way of quality(not just for guitars :rolleyes:) making great instruments unavailable for many people. Unfortunately a guitar is no longer an instrument as much as it is a product.

Do you have some pics up on the forum of your axe?

(I wonder is Dunkin' Donuts has a copyright for the wheel? :lol:)

5. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Allright, I've been away since yesterday, but I did get to pick up the guitar after a bunch of problems with the shipping company that didn't own a GPS and the fact that I live far out in the woods. It arrived in one piece, that was a relief for one, since I've received no less than 2 broken guitars during the last few years.

It's amazing! I just came home a few minutes ago, so I will now finally get the chance to play it a little after only having time to put real hardware on it yesterday before leaving. I'll also snap a few pictures, so stay tuned!

And I don't want to discuss the whole replica, counterfeit, copyright infringement thing again. It's been done a million times already and I frankly don't care at all. This instrument is not an accurate copy of a Gibson; nor was it meant to be at all. It's the result of a collaboration between the builder and me, and in my opinion he should have any right he wishes to put his own logo on the headstock when the guitar is significantly different from a Gibson Les Paul apart from the shape.

6. Electric Bison

Right on! Looking forward to see the pics! :cool:

7. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

Hello everyone,

I am very glad to see that the guitar made it safely to Lars and that he likes it. Here is some more information on the guitar:

The wood is genuine (i.e. South American, not African) Mahogany. It was among that last batch I could find in Southern Ontario and was a premium piece.

About the bridge on my LP.... I position my bridges and tune the guitar before drilling the bridge posts. I do this to ensure correct and flexible intonation. I don't care so much how it looks, but how it performs. On my first LP, I drilled according to measurement and did not like the idea of having just a tiny bit of saddle adjustment room.

The last comment I'll make is that I don't make guitars anymore. I began making them in order to build a really nice LP for myself. I wanted a very nice guitar for recording. Now that I am done with both, I have retired from that work. All in all I have built 8 guitars. I sold six and have kept two for myself. There you have it.

I should say that I really really like this one that Lars got. It handles and feels great. I am looking forward to seeing some more pictures of it too.

Sincerely, Scott

8. Kølabrennern

...and everyone wept. :) But that is understandable, and honourable to quit while you're on top!

Picture time! :D

In shade I think I got the better colour representation, but I'm on a new Mac and haven't completely gotten used to the monitor calibration yet, so it might be off. I KNOW the colours are off in the sunny pics later down here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the body thickness. It's so light and comfortable I can't even tell you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a beauty, ain't it?

9. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Holy Smackin' A$$holes that's a great looking guitar!!!

10. Electric Bison

:shock:

That is just stunning. What a great job. What a beautiful top, the grain just pops right out. It even looks comfortable. I love the peghead too, really nice.

Scott, nice to meet you man. Congratulations, this really is a jaw-dropping piece of instrument. Have you documented your work on any of the guitars you built? :naughty:

Kølabrennern you're a fortunate viking man! Custom built are always good but this looks :applause::applause::applause:
    Also like the "vintage" stringing, i don't see that often here.

11. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

:shock:
    :wow:

Just...I mean...wow. Nice!

12. captain von rat

captain von rat Senior Member

pickguard? argh! noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

13. Kølabrennern

Thanks guys! And yeah, I need a pickguard. Think I'll buy one of those A.V.H guards from Dave Johnson. :)

14. mono

mono Senior Member

Absolutely incredible. That is another prime example of Scott's work that I will use for reference when I have the funds for my own replica. Congratulations Lars :)

15. Kølabrennern

Another picture before I go and record some clips. You probably can't tell by my stone cold exterior, but I'm quite excited :laugh2:

[​IMG]

16. JIM'S GoldTOP

JIM'S GoldTOP Senior Member

That looks great! :thumb: Enjoy that beauty!!!

17. vintageJIM

vintageJIM Banned

custom built/order made, made by hand, gorgeous, and the last one?

Congrats to the builder & to the new owner; absolutely brilliant :applause:

PS
    I really like the fact the builder did not put the Gibson marquee on the head stock face = not a fake :cool:

18. Kølabrennern

Yes, I praise myself one lucky soul!

I have a couple of clips now. Here's an unplugged recording, first comes the ExNihilo LP and then another LP I own which utilizes SA mahogany. Honestly I'm quite baffled, the second guitar sounds pretty bad in comparison. Two Røde NT-5 mics in XY were used.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8953230/Akustisk.mp3

Then some hardrock. Just the bridge PU in full humbucker mode. I'm playing parts of a song from a Norwegian glamrock band called "Gatecrashers".
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8953230/Alone.mp3

Edit: The guitars are a little out of tune in the acoustic recording, sorry about that.

19. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Wow, the finish on that guitar looks absolutley stunning!! :shock:

Its a shame you wont be making any more :(

Kola, youre looking very different!

20. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

beautiful guitar, love the colour and grain on the back and neck. That finish is glass-like too, good job scott and too bad you won't be building anymore. Good thread.