For those seeking more exposure for their brand

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SiriusAbbott, Oct 6, 2017.

1. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

As a musician and a builder i have only a rudimentary understanding of the whole endorsement thing
    As i understand,the endorsment generally consists of discounted equipment,and depending on the public stature/success of the endorser,free equipment along with a legal agreement to publicly promote said equipment.
    I also assumed that success would bring with it many potential endorsement deals.
    All that being said....
    I have a friend,a rising star in the world of shred guitar
    Warren Hughes-guitarist
    Warrens doing well in the industry,but has a strong desire to play " Made in the USA" guitars and amps
    And has thus far failed to gain much attention from American luthiers and Amp builders
    Which i am kind of shocked about!
    I told him i know lots of builders/guitar companies that he might find a connection with here at MLP.
    I asked what he was desiring guitar-wise,his response...
    " an American made bolt neck superstrat with dimarzios and a layout similar to a Charvel model 5"

So does anyone seek an endorsment deal for their product?
    Warren can be contacted via facebook,or i can arrange an alternate form of contact if desired
    Feel free to post some pics of your stringed wonders in this thread and i will send Warren to take a look
    Thanks y'all

2. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Warren contacted me a while back...I spoke to him over the internet and phone and was definitely interested in working with him. He broke contact pretty much immediately after I quoted him a (damn good) price for an initial build. He seems like a nice enough guy and I'd be happy to talk to him again, but that was my experience.

SiriusAbbott likes this.
  3. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

I told him as a disabled one man shop i could build his dream axe.......and he could receive it as soon as oct 2019
    Lol
    So i suggested that i make an inquiry for him.....

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I guess he's expecting something for free, which lets face it, is hard to find.

SiriusAbbott and KnightroExpress like this.
  5. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

In truth, there are tons of great guitar players in a world that no longer really gives a shit about hot guitar players.

You have to have some profile in the music world. Just being a great player isn't going to spur most of us to give up the amount of time, energy, and money needed to build a custom guitar and then just give it away for free.

Your friend maybe doesn't even really understand what he is asking and so has unrealistic expectations.

6. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Yep, WhiteEpiLP and Skyjerk are exactly right. I'm willing to deal a bit for the right person, but expecting a small builder to just give away that amount of time and money is a bit unrealistic. Full transparency: I essentially asked him to cover my material cost plus a bit extra because I do pay rent on my space.

Frankly, his straight-up search for freebies is probably exactly what's turning off many potential partners.

SiriusAbbott likes this.
  7. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

I can't say that this is the situation here, but it seems similar to something I've already run into a few times already on social media. I've had a few inquiries for endorsements. I've usually at least bit on asking what they would do for my brand and have asked what interested them in my guitars, given that they could not have played one and have suggested a discount rate should things be agreable. The conversation rarely goes further than this as the discount is not what they were looking for (free?) and they have no idea how it would possibly benefit my brand. I have only one exception to this and it's someone I know who plays in a pretty big rock band (in Canada) that I've known well for probably 13 years, attended his wedding (from across the country) and know to be a stand up guy and a good friend. He got a very good discount and I took very little above the cost of materials and shop supplies on the guitar. Despite him tagging me in a lot of social media posts he has made with the guitar in the past 2 years and getting a fair number of comments on the instrument online, in studio and on the road it honestly hasn't drummed up any interest that I can discern.

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Unless the guy is a Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Slash, or someone of equally high profile I doubt giving a free guitar to someone would generate any business...