For those of you that record

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Fixxxer, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

What are you guys doing? I'd like to pick up a mic and recorder, but don't want to go crazy. I'd prefer to get a mic first then another unit unless the all in one units are cool.

Thanks.

2. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I am currently without a band, but that doesn't stop me from recording at all.

My typical process.

1. I cut my guitar, bass, and vocal parts on a tiny little Boss Micro BR field recorder. The sucker can be bounced up to 32 tracks, and I rarely get past 7 or 8....and that's typically running 4-5 guitar tracks max, or 2 vocal tracks, or on one song, 2 bass tracks. During this recording process I will record against a click track noting the beats per minute so that it can be easily transposed later to another recording technique.

2. Once I have recorded the files, I will master them to MP3 or wave files. Sometimes I'll do a very rough mix with the field recorder, and other times (depending on where I'm going with it, how much money I have, and whether the mood's right), I'll master the individual tracks to MP3.

3. After doing this, I'll email or send the files off to a friend who is a beta tester for Pro Tools. We've been using EZ drummer for drum tracks which has worked out really well. Based on experiences with a recording studio back in the 90's, drums are the biggest pain in the ass to record...and this is atypically where the real investment should go in when considering recording. Occasionally I will do vocal tracks over at his house...if he's not available, I will book time at a studio for drum tracks and mastering only...and it saves a ton of dough because I'm not sitting there trying to play tracks on a studio's time...with this method, even if forced to pay, 3 songs a night is no big deal at all.

But in this instance I have the tracks set up on a memory stick, (or email), and I'll give him the beats per minute. We've done multiple songs this way with no real issues.

4. Once mastering is done? Drop it off on a CD, send me the wave files or MP3 files, and it's a done deal. No big whoop there.

I don't get too hung up on my guitar tone, and I don't really try to mic amplifiers. Layered recording doesn't per se capture a live feel, but it's very, very clean...and it can be done at a very reasonable cost. Digital models make life soo much easier. And, I don't have a ton of money or space to try to capture my magic tone with a mic on the guitar. I blew a lot of time back in the day going through this or that amplifier mic'd with this or that effect...and often it was to no avail.

But...that's basically how I record. It doesn't cost much to do it this way...

EDIT: I'd seriously check out something like the Micro, Fixxxer, or the equivalent of it with an AC power supply. They're about the size of a cell phone, and you can take 'em anywhere...

3. Jody

Jody Senior Member

this is my console [​IMG] I have a room studio that works great,every thing I need to mix, master, and burn all in one unit

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

My band has a pretty cool arrangement with alocal studio.

I do their web site, and instead of charging the guy I bank all my work and he trades me off for studio time. We do the tracking in his live room, then he'll burn me a DVD of the files and I bring it home and do any overdubs and mixing here in ACID 6 Pro.

We've done three demos like that.

- D

5. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

I use a Samson G Track USB Mic hooked up to my laptop with Adobe Audition. The mic's on a regular stand, but for recording instrumental tracks I raise it above my head level while seated, point it down maybe 20 degrees, and place it across the room (about 15x10) from the amps. This orientation works well for volume and EQ balance in a soundproofed room.

[​IMG]

6. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

my MacBook/Garageband--->250gig hardrive.

PreSonus 8-input FireWire; 57's on guitar, snare & kick. 2 condensers for over-heads. "Cheap" MXL condenser for vocals. ART pre-amp/phantom power for bass & VOX.

We just leave everything hooked up at rehearsal.

7. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

Yeah those DAMN MAC books appear to be popular but way out of my range.

Anybody else?

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Anyone using a Mic into a unit?, if so what mic?

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

For the home setup, I have an Oktava MK-319 large-diaphragm condenser mic into an M-Audio Mobile Pre preamp/breakout box. It's got 2 XLR inputs and 2 1/4" inputs, so I can either feed the mic into it for vocal overdubs or the POD into it for guitar ODs.

The Mobile Pre is pretty reasonable - I got mine for about $150.

- D

9. Volusia

Volusia Senior Member

I have the Yamaha AW1600 work station.

10. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

you my friend have some nice sound clips, I like how they don't distort and really capture the ambiance of what you are doing.

1k is a little steep fr me though, I'll keep an eye out for something though...

worse case I mighe get a hand held digital recorder..... later on:hmm:

11. kluson

kluson Senior Member

I'm using Pro Tools with EZ Drummer

12. racerratt

racerratt Senior Member

M-Audio Delta 10/10LT, Sonar 8 with (EZ drummer, BFD drums, Broomstick bass, Waves Mercury bundle and too many soft synths to name), Sony Soundforge 9 for mixing and mastering and finally Sony CD Architect 5. The band I'm in uses this setup for writing songs and demos and I've done numerous commercials with it. One of these days I will add on some good mic's and pre's but for now it does fine for what the band and I need.

13. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

I'm old school "digital" :laugh2:---
    a couple of stand-alone workstations,Roland VS-880 and VS-1880.
    For guitar,it has been the Johnson J-Station for the direct-inject thing,and usually a SF Champ,15 watt Vox Valvetronix,or a Valve Jr. for amps.When I get setup in the new house next month I'll be able to experiment with other amps.

14. tomaburque

tomaburque Senior Member

These have huge utility value:

[​IMG]

I have mine mounted on a little camera tripod.

15. Hemply

Hemply Senior Member

I use:

Presonus FIRE BOX Interface
    Cuebase LE 4 Recording Software
    (2)Shure SM81- LC's for micing my guitars
    M-Audio MIDI Key
    Everything is recorded to Hard Drive

16. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

On the road I use a laptop running ProTools, Alesis SR18 drum machine, shure mics, and my Digitech RP500 guitar processor.

I am in the process of building a full on project studio at home, it will also be ProTools based.

17. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

depends on what the situation is.....but, I am in pretty deep so, for the quick and easy: guitar into a EH tube mic pre...then into a presouncs firebox....running either Sonar 7 and/or ableton live and, then using NI guitar rig (or the waves one)....

the tone is lacking but it is easy....and, I think that if I really wanted to the get a better sound I could re-amp but, have not tried that yet

(JOIN THE RECORDING SOCIAL GROUP....I have made a commitment to try to get that up and running)

18. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

i use the Micro BR..it works great and very easy to use..