For Sale: 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary (Alpine white)

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by TimGreer, Jan 28, 2009.

1. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

This is the last year they made the all mahogany bodies and necks. The tone difference is dramatic and (I think) much better than the maple necks the following years. This is the last of the models made in the desirable Kalamazoo, MI factory, before they moved to the Nashville, TN plant. Plays and sounds like a dream. This is one of my favorite guitars, but I've got a '67 Camaro RS convertible that is one week (or less) away from a completion on a complete restore and now is not the time to take money out of stock investments, so I'm parting with some gear.

All original, other than the pickups and tuners. I have one of the original pickups, but the two in it now are Seymour Duncan JB TB-4 (bridge) and AlNiCo II (neck). The frets are small, and low, and it absolutely plays like butter! It has the normal yellowing of the alpine white into a more creme color, "Twentieth Anniversary" engraved on the 15th fret (factory). Gold hardware, with black witch hat knobs and pickguard. Everyone wants this guitar and I hate to sell it. Asking $3,000.

No breaks or repairs. I have created a web page for it with very detailed information and detailed pictures: Please see http://www.chatbase.com/lespaul/ Email tim@studiotracks.com for information or questions you might still need. I'd love to keep this, if possible, so email or call me before I change my mind or get money from another source or a sale of other gear. Thanks!

PS: Yes, it comes with the case.

PSS: While I'm new to this forum, I am a known member at the HC forums, among other popular forums (having sold and bought and traded gear for years), and have 100% feedback on ebay (I just don't want to list on ebay -- my member name there is "timgreer"). Thanks again.

[​IMG]

2. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

Update: People have asked about trades. I'm really looking for money for my car restoration, but I MIGHT take a partial trade for a 70's Marshall amp head (50 or 100 watt, but it must have original transformers), but that's unlikely with the money I need (still, make an offer if you have one). Anything else, I'd not be interested in, I'm sorry to say. Thanks again.

3. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

PS: This is "best offer", but I expect I'll likely get offers at or around the asking price.

4. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

Another update for people asking. Yes, I will ship anywhere, provided you pay the shipping costs, I don't mind shipping anywhere in the world. US would be easier, but I'm open to shipping out of country if you need it.

Also, as noted on the page with the description, I will meet someone or they can drive to me, if they are local or wish to make the trip (I'm willing to drive up to 150-200 miles in any direction if you are serious, where we can either meet half way or whatever).

Thanks.

5. Jon BonTempi

Jon BonTempi Senior Member

Hi Tim

Sent you email.

graham

6. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

Cool guitar! I have a white 74' aswell but, I think Kalamazoo continued into the 80's. I got 79' K.M. aswell, made in kalamazoo.

7. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

They did continue making some guitars in the Kalamazoo factory, and it was indeed up until 1979, but this was usually for more specialty builds (as far as I'm aware anyway). The production in general did all move to Nashville, TN, but the Kalamazoo, MI factory did operate until late '79 (I don't believe it went into the 80's, at least not past 1980, but I certainly may be mistaken).

8. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

You had me until here. :thumb:

9. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

tuners are a very common change, and it's not that hard to find a pair of original TTops. Even adding on for the pickups, IMO this is still a really good deal, for a blonde '74.

I don't think you mentioned that '74 is the first year for this color too.

10. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

I'm funny about extra holes. I would have bought the Kernal's if it weren't for that.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/28506-fs-1977-les-paul-custom-white.html

11. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

If you like the maple necks and don't mind the paint being stripped from the neck, or the condition on the back, it wasn't a bad price by any means. It's not like mine is in mint museum condition either, even it this one is a bit more rare with the model, it's older and has a mahogany neck instead of maple -- but that doesn't mean it's more desirable to everyone for those reasons. Anyway, I've already had a decent offer on this that I may accept, but I'd absolutely not sell this if I didn't have to.

I looked for 2 years before I found this guitar and it was perfect, just what I wanted, and very difficult to find. Perhaps because I knew the exact woods, year and model (and color) I really wanted, I was able to look past the tuners and pickups. I don't pretend the lack of the second pickup isn't an issue for someone, but one other pickup for about $100-150 average, and $30-50 for original tuners and you're looking at a complete, original '74 20th anniversary white Les Paul Custom. Just saying that makes me wish even more that I could keep it.

PS: On that '77, doesn't it look like the wood on the top end of the headstock is separated a little, or is that just the way the image makes it look?

12. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Senior Member

Very nice looking guitar!:thumb: How much does it weigh?

Thanks, jd

13. plecoman

plecoman Senior Member

Hey,

I emailed you!

14. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

It weighs exactly 10 pounds to the ounce (I thought it was as little less, but I rechecked and it is 10 pounds).

15. kernelofwisdom

kernelofwisdom V.I.P. Member

'60's camaros and Norlin Customs?? I admire your taste! Beautiful guitar. Everybody ought to have a weak spot for these. This puppy will sell.

16. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

Thanks. :)

17. samsnead

samsnead Senior Member

18. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

PS: $2,800 without the original pickup I would otherwise include (case still included, of course).

19. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I have a couple of questions.

When did you acquire it?

Was the guitar refretted? The missing nibs make me think it probably was sometime in it's life.

[​IMG]

Here's another example of a White '74 LP Custom that is for sale here on the forum:

[​IMG]

Case is not original, right?

[​IMG]

I would think a '74 would have stickered T-Tops, not the stamped version. Are you sure this is original, or did it come with the guitar when you purchased it? It's also obvious that the cover has been removed at some point. In any case, the stamped T-Tops aren't worth much at all.

If anyone of thinking of buying it, I'd have Will Boggs look at it first. He's in Redding, and I'd trust his judgment.

Not to bust on your auction, but you are a new member, and I cannot PM you to ask the questions.

BB

20. TimGreer

TimGreer Junior Member

About a year and 1/2 to two years ago.

I believe it was, and the guy I had gotten it from might have had it done. The fret job is excellent. If a guitar is played much over the years (35 in this case), it will eventually need a refret. Some people keep theirs like art work and don't play it much, which is cool, but if that was the case and condition of this guitar, I'd be asking double what I am.

That's correct, I don't believe it is the original case, but it's a very nice one.

I didn't purchase this guitar new, I'm not that old. :) I've owned early 70's Les Pauls and another 20th anniversary (which I also had to sell) and the pickups don't always have the sticker on them and I know them to be original. This pickup, I can't say was original to this guitar, but the lack of a sticker isn't an indication isn't not original to this year and model. They had stamped them before '74 and after, too.

Yes, the cover was removed at some point, as you can tell in the image. I'm unsure why you think they aren't worth much, I've never seen them go for very cheap. Also, they sound great (though I suppose that's open to personal opinion).

I know Will and have been to his house, and while I don't know him well and he seems like a cool guy, I don't know him to be a Les Paul expert, so I fail to see how that is relevant to this sale. If you mean that you know him and he happens to be a trusted member of this particular forum, then I "get" that.

If you wish to check on me for reasons of trust and the detailed images aren't good enough, you're free to ask questions and for detailed images of any part of the guitar you want. If it's really about how long I've been a member _here_, on this specific forum, then you're also free to check the Harmony Central forums, where I've been a member for many years and am a participant, where I've sold, bought and traded gear (trading being the most risky) and never had an issue. You're also welcome to check rigtalk, gearzlutz and other forums. You can also check my feedback on ebay (username "timgreer") where I've done over 150 transactions (usually with high end gear -- no cheap crap) since 1991, where I have 100% positive feedback.

That's fine, and I'm not offended, but I am honestly confused about the mention of Will looking at it to serve as a means to add some trust or validity to this particular guitar I'm selling. Not that I care, and if someone wanted to only buy it if he looked at it I could certainly do that (even though it seems strange to go to him about it, as if he's a Gibson Les Paul expert or just could verify what I said in person). Again, I'd do that if someone really wanted, but I just don't agree that's a reasonable thing to suggest simply because I'm here on this forum (check around, if you wish).