for all you kids who own 100 watters

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by voxac30dude, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I have a vintage 50 Watt full stack Marshall I've had since around 1967. I'm not
    getting rid of that for anything even though it hasn't been switched on for some time.

I get off just going in there and looking at that thing. I have other amps as well but that one is special. Don't need it?..who says?..

2 people like this.
  2. tonedragon

tonedragon Senior Member

3. Six Gun

Six Gun Senior Member

There is no sound like Big Iron from a Marshall Super Lead or an old tweed twin. Sounds like the OP does not know about Big Iron and the Tone of a SL.

My 1970 Marshall Super Lead, I put all new Filter Caps in it and I made a new 12Ga. Shielded 12 Foot long Bulgin Power Cord and this Amp Kicks ass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tweed Twin OT vs. Bassman 5F6A OT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

Same here.

I have 'only' 50Watts with me in my Orange Thunderverb, but at least that amp comes with over-size bass amp trannies, because this amp can double as a bass amp if need be - it was designed that way.

Great for thick low end guitar work.

A/B'ing my Thunderverb 50 with my cousin's old (no sold) Laney GH 50 L :hmm: :lol:
    Blew the Laney out the water (using the same cab for both amps)

5. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

I've never had my 50 watt halfstack above 6, maybe 7. Stupid loud. Not Plexi loud - I've done that in the same closed space before and it was even worse. I can't say anything because I'm an offender, but there is next to no point in having a loud amp in your bedroom. If your ears are bleeding in the test room at the guitar store, just think of how much your neighbors would hate you, living somewhere that isn't sound proofed. And for that matter, how quickly you'd go deaf.

6. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

Is a Plexi really THAT (((LOUD))) ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNOnt71Rna8]Dragster versus Guitar Amps Volume Wars. Which is louder? Guitarist magazine HD video - YouTube[/ame]

7. rykus

rykus Senior Member

My 50w plexi is my favorite amp of all time... but my 100w metal face's get a certain extra charachter of tone at a certain level.... hard to desribe, but you can hear the extra 2 tubes filling in the power amp distortion.... can't hear the drummer though, just see him waving his arms around mouthing out what looks like he wants to be mic'd to the PA..?..?:naughty:

I'd still take my 50w'ers over the 100's as I like a bit more power section gain, and don't want to bother with the attuners ect, plus I can still afford a couple nice power tubes every here and there... Matched quads are getting stupid priced though.

8. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I personally used to use a 50 watt amp that was switchable to 25. But I never ran it at 25. Then I switched to my 100watt boogie dc10 which is switchable to 50watts, but I never lower it that much, because I love preamp gain. My master is never much above 3. And I have always gotten huge compliments on my tone. And personally when I bought my 100 watt boogie I wasn't looking for wattage I was looking for tone, and it just so happened that the one I liked the best happen to be the 100 watt version. But yes for me preamp gain is what I love. Just my taste.

9. mercinariesgtr

mercinariesgtr Senior Member

Im kinda weary of adjustable wattage amps. I have a early 80's, tolex, 6l6 carvin x100b and it sounds great on 100 watt but meh on both 50 and 25. The best part about that amp is its cleans and they get all muddled and lose their shimmer in the other modes. Hopefully things are better on these newer(and pricier) models your discussing.

10. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

This thread nicely boils down to:

"Don't tell me what to do and I wont tell you to go f**k yourself."

..gotta love MLP. :laugh2:

8 people like this.
  11. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I think having different wattage amps can be a good experience for people. I have a AD30 single channel and a Plexi and they are not miles apart in outright volume. The MV on the Orange is nice though. But a Plexi cranked is something heavenly.

1 person likes this.
  12. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

Fixed :thumb:

13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Mine are both very early 90's models, and yes I will agree you do loose some of the uummph of the amp when you switch down the wattage. Which is why I don't use the switches much, but on the peavey classic 50 it was nice because it made it possible to use the amp at home at lower volumes. The boogie on the other hand 50 or 100 didn't matter it was too loud for home usage anyway. Lol but the boogie keeps it's tone pretty well when switched to half power mode.

14. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

I say an AC30 is overkill unless you're Jimmy Hendrix or the Beatles.

15. Johnny_Sokko

Johnny_Sokko Senior Member

I love the my 100 watt Laney Supergroup but just love the extra grind of a 50 watter like my JMP even more.

1 person likes this.
  16. rd2play

rd2play Member

Of course a 100W/50W is too loud for the majority of venues. That's why I also bought an Alex Attenuator.

1 person likes this.
  17. shayne

shayne Junior Member

I know its Necro but you sir are an ASS . I live in an apartment and I had my amp dimed about an hour ago . Who died and made you king shit. If a person wants to jam a 100 watt then do it. its not about need is it . you remind me of BONO.:dude: