for all you kids who own 100 watters

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by voxac30dude, Aug 7, 2010.

1. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

Apparently you didn't get my point. There is more than one way, to do any one thing. More than one way to skin a cat. Your experience has led you to see things the way you see them. Someone else has had the same experience, but found a different approach.
    Lets face it, we are all on the same team, and ultimately after the same goals. We all want to sound good, as well as have a good time when playing. So that's it in a nutshell, do whatever you need to do so you can have a good time.:D

2. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Not JJ E34L, not Sovtek EL34, nothing that's branded by EH or Ruby. I really like Winged C, but I am keen to try the newer Mullard and Tung Sol reissues.

If you're changing preamp tubes, best you can afford in V1 - doesn't need to be NOS, but Brimar, Telefunken, Mullard are a really good investment. JAN Phillips 5751 also work very well, and JAN Phillips 12AX7 although they can be a little microphonic and/or noisy. V2 and V3 I'm not so fussy about, any good 12AX7 seem to work well and last for ages.

If Bill has better ideas, go with them, what you get in the USA is not necessarily what we get in the UK. He knows what he's doing. But JJ, Ruby, Sovtek, and Chinese GE were all problematic in my 70s Marshall 50. And New Sensor can be bad for rebranding so I stay away from what they sell.

Liam

3. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

I agree, I never post on here to be argumenative, solely for discussion and to bring my point of view to the table.

There really are a thousand ways to do things, I always say do what you wanna do! But, loud amps aren't always a bad choice ;)

I had JJ EL34s in my JCM900 and it made that amp REALLY bright (and those are already bright). I don't think I will get them ever again. They were OEM placement in all of my Orange amps I have had. Which is scary to think about considering those amps are dark sounding, with (from my experience) bright tubes and Vintage-30 speakers (in their cabs). Such a dark, middy sound most of the time (not a bad thing).

Definitely see what Bill recommends. I hope tubes don't set me back too much haha

4. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

don't mean to jump in out of nowhere because typically tech–talk is over my head, however, when i saw the caution regarding JJs it caught my eye

i have a DSL 100 watt stack with an Axion Superstack Mercury Magnetic PT and OT plus their choke

tubes: matched quad of the JJ KT77's and four hand picked high gain ECC83S's with one balanced for the phase inverter in V4

factoring aside the MM upgrades, the JJs made an excellent amp sound monster wicked

and, i do use a voltage regulator and power line conditioner

no issues with reliability or sag, etc. – except now i have jinxed myself

finally to my question, which is merely educational:

do i have an odd ball good set of JJs or in general JJs are not as good as the hype?

is there another brand/model anyone would care to recommend?

5. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

Hey Ray! How are you bud? Good to see you here.:thumb:
    Some like the JJ preamp tubes, and some don't. Some people think they are a darker tube (The Pre's) so if your amp is a bright amp, then they may work well for you. I have a set of JJ 12AX7's in my Champ clone. Funny, I dont find them dark. They sound good, but a little rough on top, and I haven't really put them up against anything else. Don't know anything about the KT77's.

X–Ray likes this.
  6. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I've liked the JJ preamp tubes so far. There are better out there, but not for the money. ECC803s definitely a winner in my Epi VJ, but I didn't like it in any of my Marshalls. Not dark, just not great sounding. ECC83s are an OK sounding ECC83.

Wasn't aware they were making KT77s. Their EL34s are really not great, and their EL84s seem to me marginally better than Sovtek, but not great. I know they say they're not the same as the old Tesla production, but to my ears they don't much better.

Liam

7. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Im not a fan of jj's. SED and the real Tungsol ri's are great tubes, at least they were in 6l6. I currently have jj's in my hiwatt (power section) and I will change them out for SED in the next few weeks or so. Unfortunately the best way to find the tubes you like is to buy and test.

8. kam4ff

kam4ff Senior Member

I will say that I love the JJs I have in my JCM 800. both pre and power amp. I cant comment on whether they 'darken' the sound or anything, because I had it retubed by my tech when he was cleaning up the amp because it sounded weak. he didnt change any parts though. the amp is just thunderous and amazing. when I toss some JJs in my Hot Rod Deville, Ill see what it does to the sound.

9. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

10. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Senior Member

I prefer/play 100watt amps, life's too short.

Peace

1 person likes this.
  11. NCStratDude

NCStratDude Senior Member

I'm much happier playing my half stack set down to 7 watts than through a 1x12 cab with same speaker. So even with lower wattage amps I'd still go big cabs live. If you can't hear the difference between the same speaker in 2 different size cabs mic'd you are either lying or deaf.

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

[​IMG]
    God doesn't lie, silly child.:laugh2:

And actually it is the amount of air you move that makes the difference - so 4x10 > 2X15 > 2X12 etc.

13. S_G_D

S_G_D Senior Member

I love when people bring back train wreck threads I wasn't around for.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

1 person likes this.
  14. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I've owned lots of 100 watt Marshalls over the years, lots of punch and full sounding. Great in a rock band situation. Now all my Marshalls are 50 watts or less mainly due to cab constraints and rary playing out anymore. My only current 100 watt amp is my 1972 Fender Twin Reverb. This thing sounds spectacular at almost any volume. Great glassy cleans and full sounding. Love this 100 watt amp.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  15. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I'm a 57 year old kid with a 100 watter - a Fender Twin amp for clean cleans.
    I also have 16w,30w,50w,65w and 75w. None of these will do what the twin does - it's horses for courses.

3 people like this.
  16. mmd

mmd Senior Member

yeah, old post, but here is my 2 cents on the issue. some of us just don't get the headroom needed for a clear, undistorted clean sound at stage volume. sorry to say, but even a 30 watt amp is going to start breaking up as you crank the volume (or the master if the amp has it). not everyone wants "bluesy break-up" with the power tubes. I want my clean to be loud, clear, and articulate. as far as power tube break-up for distorted tone? ehh, while it isn't a bad thing, if I have to sacrifice my clean sound, I can do without it. that is why I play amps that have master volumes - I can set the preamp gain, and bring the master up to where I need it.

i do record with lower powered amps - between 5 and 20 watts. but live? hell no. 100 watts or more. that is how i get the tones i need at the volume i need. are the amps cranked to 10? no - that is idiotic. the clean is loud and clean. the distorted channel is as loud as needed for the venue.

i think some of the guys that bellyache about 100 watt amps haven't played any amps that were designed and/or built after 1970. i have had modern marshall, mesa, soldano, and rivera amps - all 100 (well 85 with the mesa) watters that were VERY usable with the volume while providing good tone. none of these amps ever needed to be run wide open to get the goods.

3 people like this.
  17. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Sweet necro thread!

Whenever I play out, I prefer to use my 300w Ashdown, because I prefer to send the very best thump to the chest.

disclaimer: I am a bass player...

3 people like this.
  18. xSinner13x

xSinner13x Senior Member

Yes.

:thumb:

19. arc anjil

arc anjil Senior Member

I wish Peavey made a 50 watt Valveking head!!

I'm a firm believer in multi-speaker sound (as opposed to single speaker) and most 50 watt combo's are single speaker boxes. You have to go to 100 watts to get a 2x12.

20. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

I never play out with this anymore... I use my Mustang III (oh, wait... that's 100w, too).

Because it's easier to haul & set up and I can leave all my pedals home. But, I do kinda miss the look on the sound man's face, when I would bring that into the venue :) I can still hear him saying, "That's gonna be to loud!"

Too loud for you???? Pussy!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.