For all wanna be guitarists out there..Read before you post.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Phil47uk, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

i will be doing my best to get there in may. if my employment situation is doing well, then it should be no problem. might have the wife and daughter in tow.

2. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

There'll be other wives/partners there. 'Er indoors will be there again, and I expect Phil's wife and daughter. Jimmyq's partner will probably be there, and Harmony is itching for the event to take place again.

3. John Vasco

Here's some of Phil's old pupils after they started a band following lessons from the cockney clunkhead:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY]YouTube - The Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody[/ame]

4. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Obviously a lot more musical talent going on than with your two prodigy's :laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOv2cUv4gcU]YouTube - Bill & Ben the Flowerpot Men Dance[/ame]

5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Bollocks you old sheep tupper.

6. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

What's all this waffle you are coming out with now. Just because your great great Grandfather was Irish you now think you are some kind of expert on the country. Twat!

7. John Vasco

Bill & Ben = before my time. More your time, matey.

You have to admit though, Phil, that Muppet clip of Bohemian Rhapsody is hilarious!

8. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

They might well be before your time, but you sure as hell look like one in those photos of you when you were younger. In fact you still do look like one, only more shriveled up.

[​IMG]

9. android13

android13 Senior Member

You forgot to consider the tl;dr option. A wall of text can deter many people away rather quickly.:laugh2:

10. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Yes but I didn't expect it to exceed more than two replies.:laugh2:

11. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

2 possible replies the common MLP user would post come to mind:

:dude:

and

Why?

Anyway, good thread, most stuff in the world, in life and of course in the world of guitar and music is not answered and resolved by a single response or a single sentence and most of the time there's more than one solution to things, so, if more people tried to elaborate on things everything would be better. Thanks for starting this thread:thumb:

12. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Blimey Thundergod.. You are giving some credit with them having two responses. :dude: Dude Is about all some could muster. :laugh2:

13. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

:lol: So true.

14. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I just simply can't understand some people.

If I were to go into a model aircraft club and ask a question related to aircraft and a real time trans Atlantic pilot answered my question, even if I didn't quite understand it I'd at least acknowledge the time and effort the person put in to reply.
    Perhaps it's simply called being polite. I honestly think that some people are either totally thick or darn right rude. :laugh2:

15. gazmax08

gazmax08 Senior Member

I competely agree with these two points. :)
    Im 14, and Im not that good at guitar, but i sold my ps3 about 2 weeks ago so that I cold concentrate more on guitar, and I have noticed a big difference in that amount of time!! :D
    Now all i need to do is cut back on facebook and this :')
    And the second point, I knew more theory stuff than a good friend of mine who had ben playin guitar for 40 years :')
    How do you think that made me feel??
    PRETTY DARN GOOD!!!! :')
    And because I know so much theory stuff, I can get in with alot more musicinans who are 10, maybe 20 years older than me, who can teach me more things :)
    I was recently talkin to a guitar player/performer/teacher for about 4 hours non stop :')
    and the next day i heard off this other guy who was there at the time, that this guitar player/performer/teacher guy was amazed at how much i knew, and he would be honoured to have me as a pupil :')
    I thinki im going to stick to the self-taught rout for now :)
    And I do agree that theory doesn't make you a good player, beause Im quite a nerd when it comes to theory, but im not even that good when it aomes to practical, bu im getting better :D
    Sory for the big nag but aaah well :')
    Gaz

16. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

A 14 year old with his head screwed on.. Good for you..You'll notice the difference when you go to college believe me, coz you'll be the guy getting all the work, especially if you are versatile and tuck a few playing styles under your belt as well.

How do I know?
    Coz I have fed a shed load of pupils through college over the years and also work in the music departments of these places too.

Phil. :dude:

17. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

Well.....

It was a long read.
    And worth every minute spent on it.
    Problem is I am going to read it several more times now.
    Like good music - it gives up it's treasures slowly, with every time giving more.

This thread is, in so many ways, the antithesis of pop - instant gratification is for ninnies.....

18. antz

antz Senior Member

This advice has really helped me.

I'm just about to enrol myself in some lessons because I've been playing 2 years, entirely self taught but I don’t know a single scale or piece of theory and I'm now struggling to push myself and expend outside of what I play daily. I've tried to sit down and learn it but me and a book all alone don’t mix….I need someone there to give me a kick and dare I say it, some confidence in my own playing as I only play at home by myself and struggle greatly with playing in front of anyone, even at a music shop.