For all wanna be guitarists out there..Read before you post.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Phil47uk, Aug 15, 2010.

1. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

Well, I didn't really want to get into those exams with my teaching analogies, but just to clarify, I was fortunate enough to be working in a school where the principal believed that if you teach the kids all of those literacy skills, that is, how to properly read a book and understand what they're reading, all that test prep bs is unnecessary. So it was. There was enough other bs to contend with there anyway. I still believe that young children ought to have some preparation before being thrown into the fire.

Anyway, what I'd been trying to get at in some of my posts and failed quite miserably, is that I can read through many of these so called guitar lesson threads and find there is nothing new or exceptional about many of them in their presentation. I appreciate that people take the time and put a lot into posting what they do to help others. It takes me an hour just to post a short paragraph never mind a few pages of text and diagrams. I do venture in, curious and enthusiastic, hoping that I may read something I haven't before and find that special insightful tidbit that ignites a spark.

Note: I'd hit enter by accident and long before I was ready to post.

2. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Reply in private PM..

3. FrankieOliver

No, Phil, I probably spend more time reading through many of these threads trying to understand than I do posting my own thoughts. I do go in, curious and hopeful that I may see something that will register.

It's difficult for me to articulate how I learn. I thought I alluded to this earlier. I am a visual learner. That is, I can read through much of it and not get it unless I get a feel for what the writer means through demonstration. There are also books with a lot of text but leave little in the way of explanation on how to take what is read and apply it to practice.

As I said, in an earlier post, I was getting what you were talking about in your yard in the Shire that day because you were explaining it and demonstrating examples of what you were saying. That clicked for me. Unfortunately I was unable to recall it and apply it when I got home.

Still, the point is is that you were able to reach me through the use of words and demonstration. "Here, let me show you what I mean...to get a feel for what I am talking about." A simple demonstration to follow a simple explanation goes a lot further than long drawn out explanations without.

But yeah, this is an internet forum where text and symbols as the primary method of transferring information.

4. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Reply in private PM.

5. FrankieOliver

Something like that, Phil.

6. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Yeah, next year we are going to hold a sceance and see if we can contact John Vasco's spirit guide.
    Hopefully he'll have a better sense of rhythm than the silly sod himself.:laugh2:

7. zontar

zontar Senior Member

Well, yeah--you should listen to BB dude...
    :D

But it is a good thing you good thing you gave a good answer--keep doing that--maybe someone else learned from it...

8. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

phil, i jst read the first post in your thread and i have to say that this post makes more sense and is probably the best post i have read on this forum, full stop.

9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Ah... now you are talking...:dude:

:laugh2::laugh2:

10. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Thanks mobprop.
    My initial post which I wrote some months ago wasn't really about me personally, but for the other guys in here who I know put in far more time and effort with replies than I ever do.
    I just don't understand why some people these guys help out don't even return to their own thread, let alone acknowledge the effort these people have put it to help them.
    Christ! It doesn't take much to even type 'thanks'.
    This is a pity, because the majority of people who do come in here I know are genuinly interested and polite people and it would be such a shame to loose some of the wealth of combined knowledge that help in here simply because they feel they are wasting their time.

Look forward to seeing you in May..:dude:

Phil.

11. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

i have been spending a lot of time in the backstage area trying to keep things happy and going strong, and there is always someone who pops into a thread, stris the pot, and then disappears. i was posting in the more technical sub forums, as my experience is more with the guitars themselves than playing, but i got tired of people either arguing with the advice or asking for it and never coming back.

12. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Well I'm afraid I have to agree with you Mobprop. That's one of the reasons I don't post backstage any more. Converstaions have got quite shallow and banal to say the least and the only decent conversations or tongue in cheek fun I can get these days seems to be back here or in the meet forum.
    Pity really, we had a great place going there..

13. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

dont worry phil, i am trying to bring the fun back. i will not feed into the little shits' taunts.

14. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Well I said I wasn't going back there and I know you can take good care of yourself, but should you ever need verbal backup in the form of a vitriolic tongue lashing they wont get over in a hurry just PM me any time.:laugh2: :dude:

15. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

lovely phil, i just might take you up on that.

16. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Any time Mobprop...Any time..:dude::dude:

17. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

Feckin' creep!!! :D :dude:

18. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

love you too vasco. lol

19. John Vasco

mob,

Will you be able to get over next May?

20. John Vasco

I was going to post 'Bad cess to you!' to Phil, but with him having no irish blood in him, he wouldn't have a clue what it meant!!! :D :dude: