Floyd Rose sustain block

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freddy G, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

This is good to know @Freddy G , thanks for the post.

Can I see a pic of the guitar?

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

this is the guitar:

P1070301.jpg

P1070304.jpg

P1070303.jpg

The_Nuge and Skyjerk like this.
  3. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

without a doubt, the non fine tuner bridge sounds awesome....way better than the fine tuner counterpart

5. Skyjerk

Hard to tell from the pic. Is that a standard bone nut? Obviously a locking nut would be a giant PITA without fine tuners...

6. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Really interesting discussion...

Cards on table, I prefer the brass block for the same reason as FreddyG, although I use the standard fat brass, not the L-block. But the quirky bit is that the roughly equivalent mass of the tungsten and brass L blocks apparently produces different tone, which is unexpected. Given the difference in shape (volume) and density between the two, this suggests that mass distribution might be playing a larger role than simply mass alone. A dense but relatively small tungsten block affects the vibrational properties of the tremolo unit as a whole differently to a less dense, larger brass block. This is, I freely admit, speculative, but something's going on. We cannot all be kidding ourselves in the same way :)

7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It's a tusq XL nut. The tuning stability is superb.

Skyjerk likes this.
  8. Skyjerk

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to report that I swapped out my sustain block last night.

I replaced the tungsten block with a fat L shaped brass block, and I can confidently report that Freddy was right again, although I cant say I'm surprised by this revelation. Freddy is often right :)

Funny thing, the guitar still sounds the same. "Huh?" you say?
    If it sounds the same how is it better?

Its really difficult to quantify the difference. Its not in-your-face "brighter" per se, and doesn't have noticeably different sustain, but the difference is not subtle. Its immediately noticeable, and a distinct improvement.

The sound feels more open. Like theres more air in it and you can breathe easily where before you were sucking air.

It could simply be that there are in fact more highs that, while not easily perceived or picked out, just open up the sound

I'm doing a piss-poor job of describing it. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I'm very glad that you concur with my observations!

and yeah, it's not easy to describe sonic properties.
    When I read audiophile BS jargon like
    "amazingly captivating, concise, engrossing, debonair, textural
    mid-range tones layering your sound stage while enjoying lifelike timing and
    pace to any passage of music." I either want to laugh or throw up :applause:

10. Skyjerk

Well, I was gonna say that but went with my own meandering, ambiguous description instead :)

11. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Thinking of doing the same on my Lifeson Axcess. I believe Adam from FU Tone actually did the big block upgrade to Alex Lifeson's Axcess or at least one of them. I'd love to know which material went in and how Alex liked it. There seems to be some confusion to which block will fit mine with the Graphtech Floyd it came with so he asked me to bring it to FU to get it done rather than me screwing it up. Just trying to find the free time to get up there

12. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Interesting... I thought it might be just me in my thinking about brass hardware... ;)

Whammy is not my thing but as far as the brass...

My '83 Kubicki Tele custom build has heavy brass plate, bridge, ferrules... My old original 1980 early Ibanez Blazer (Skrat type) has a heavy solid brass fixed bridge (top load) and saddles...

They both deviate from the somewhat ~standard~ tone pallete of each type of guitar...

Player buds that have played either or both have remarked on the easily noticeable difference from the norm of each...

Must be at least partly the brass... I have other like type guitars and none have the same colors....

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Brass block in his Axcess and I can tell you that he liked it. In fact when I was restoring Alex's Hentor Sportscaster I changed the stock Floyd block out for a big brass block as well and he liked that too.

jkes01, ehb, irocdave12 and 1 other person like this.