Floyd Rose or Kahler?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by renegade87, Jul 20, 2017.

1. renegade87

renegade87 Junior Member

Hey Guys,

So I have a mint 2015 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro in Honey Burst that I want to modify. I could go out and buy a Pro FX, but why take a gamble on the condition of an uknown and out of production guitar when I have the aforementioned LP in my possession. Realistically, there are so many of these out there (Honey Burst Plus Top Pro's) that they're a dime a dozen so resale value is of no consequense to me (I have 13 guitars, 6 of them Epiphones).

Right, down to it. The FX Pro's come standard with the Floyd Rose Special Tremolo. I'm wondering whether to go with that on my LP or spring for the Kahler 2200 STUD MOUNTED 6 STRING TREMOLO?

The Kahler is way more $ ...359.00 compared to $89 for the Floyd Special. But the Floyd would require much more routing, requiring a larger cost for my Luthier to do it (I have a Bosch Colt router but I don't trust myself on a perfectly mint guitar. Best to let an expert handle it).

In regards to playability, tuning consistency, etc. what would you with experience with both Tremolo's choose.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

The other side of the argument states why take a gamble on totally ruining an otherwise perfectly good les paul if this operation goes wrong?

You need to consider the fact that Les Pauls like yours are manufactured by design with a 3 degree neck angle to accommodate a TOM bridge. This is so the action of the guitar can be set nice and low despite the high profile of the TOM off the top of the guitar. Modifying the guitar to fit a completely new bridge that's of much lower profile means that the neck angle that was set at the factory to accept a TOM now works against you rather than with you. You risk making the guitar unplayable because the action might never be able to be set high enough for the strings to follow the angle of the neck properly. Trust me, that is not a problem you'll ever want to deal with.

In your situation, a Floyd Rose FRX is going to be the closest thing to what you're looking for. It's a largely reversible mod (as long as you're willing to suck up the fact that 2 extra screws will need to be drilled into the headstock to accept the locking nut), and the high profile of the bridge as it sits off the body is designed to be similar to that of a TOM, which gets around the problem of the neck being glued into the body at an angle.

renegade87 likes this.
  3. renegade87

renegade87 Junior Member

Thanks T00DEEPBLUE, I had forgotten about the neck angle situation. This is why I posted the question of you experts here.

I am very familiar with the Floyd Rose FRX having installed one on my 2016 Gibson Explorer T. But, I originally bought it to place on a new Epiphone G-400 Pro. But they don't fit. It may or may not fit the Epi LP Pro, but I'm not going to pay >$300 for another one to find out.

My local Luthier is on vacation, but when he gets back I'll ask the question and see what he thinks.

Thanks for your response.

4. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

It begs the question; Why not just take out the FRX you currently have out of the Explorer and see if it fits the studs on the Les Paul? You can't really be in a better situation than the one you're currently in if you want to know if it'll work.

5. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

The Kahler is $359?!? They're THAT much nowadays? Sheesh...I'll sell you my original Kahler from the 80's for $359, but that includes the rest of the guitar that's still attached to it.

T00DEEPBLUE likes this.