Flamed Flame Top

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by rykus, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

Brought a tear to my eyes. Save it! I bet when it’s restored to playability it’s tone has a new dimension to it that will be unmatched.

Mr Insane and rykus like this.
  2. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Wow, thanks so much for the support guys. Yes we had insurance but I should have had a separate policy on my music stuff. Still got back a decent amount and very high value on our house even though it was built by the previous owner and not that new.i just can't justify buying s new guitar right now...

I found a very burned R9 body I hope to get enough good mahogany for a headstock.. probably put a new overlay and inlay if it works out... the neck is honestly pretty alright so I'm just going to play it...

Found lots of tuners, bridges and tailpieces so I just need tuner tips and a selector surround and tip.

Yeah frails double white OTPG... my other set the screws all melted out... and my zebra bridge has a case melted to the bobbins...

cnote likes this.
  3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

This OP is shocking... worst nightmare for any of us !!

Guitar looks cool after you cleaned it but i wonder how does it smell !!

I am afraid fire for sure melted and deformed some parts... hopefully this boy is back to life !

rykus likes this.
  4. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Hope to hear the restoration goes well.

rykus likes this.
  5. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

Crud. Sorry to see this, my friend.

rykus likes this.
  6. 316guitars

316guitars Senior Member

Man, my heart aches for you but you are blessed that no one was hurt. You can replace guitars but you can never replace a loved one.

Blue Blood and SaltFox like this.
  7. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Yep!
    Leave the body as is.
    Thin coat of Nitro and you're good to go!

[​IMG]

:thumb:

JesseXGibson, jc2000 and rykus like this.
  8. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

AGREED!

rykus likes this.
  9. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

I’m very sorry to hear, I’m glad everyone made it out alright. Kudos to you for restoring it, it’s gonna look amazing

rykus likes this.
  10. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

DAMN! This stuff scares me to death.
    I can only imagine, after this happens, what it must be like every time you go to sleep or leave the house.
    I live in a communal situation...11 of us with a 6-year-old and 4 adults with intellectual disabilities, so I think about this stuff quite a bit.
    I didn't read the whole thread, Rykus, but I think the money in this thread could be increasing awareness by sharing what caused the fire and...just maybe...helping someone avoid a similar tragedy.
    Apologies if you already mentioned it.

rykus likes this.
  11. charlie chitlins

A buddy of mine who is a big collector of stuff recently lost it all in a garage fire...antiques, motorcycles...a fireman told him that something like 30% of fires are caused by squirrels chewing wiring.

rykus likes this.
  12. bum

bum Senior Member

Wow, sorry to hear this.
    I hope you are as well as can be expected and are able to move on at some point.
    I have no advice really, I am not an expert but I do think your pickups may need re wax potting :D

rykus likes this.
  13. Michel347

Michel347 Senior Member

I know how you must feel, same thing happened to us in 2011. Insurance paid for pedals, amps and almost all my guitars except for 2 of them that I got almost nothing while they worth several thousands, a really rare Mason & Bernard BE-140 acoustic and a 1972 Gibson Lea Paul Custom Black.

rykus likes this.
  14. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Ban squirrels.

scott1970 and rykus like this.
  15. charlie chitlins

Probably the biggest plus from the situation.
    Got all that stinkin' wax out of the pickups!!

bum and rykus like this.
  16. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Our was either rats/mice chewing the wires or a portable baseboard heater that something fell onto/into... was so burned they couldn't for surely tell us.

I did mention but leaning my guitars up how I did resulted in all the head sticks burning off... best to lay them flat and put your most expensive nearest the concrete... also a few moving blankets over them would do wonders at stopping the heat from creating embers in the wood...

They also make Co2 bomb fire extinguishers that I will be investing in in any future music rooms..

Mine all would have been fine but they couldn't find out gas meter and it caused a 2 hr inferno where instead of putting out my house they tried to contain the gas fire while I watched everything burn... so I guess knowing where your gas shuts off would be a good bit of info too..

17. charlie chitlins

Critters....
    Possibly, anyway.
    I don't know why rodents love to chew plastic, but they do...especially long skinny plastic.
    On our farm equipment the ignition wires get it bad.

18. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Senior Member

Oh man. So sorry for the loss of home and guitars. Glad you and the family are physically ok. I remember evacuating the Cedar fire and the preternaturally bright orange sky at 6am as me and the family hastily packed essentials in the car and sped away in hopes (thankfully fulfilled) things would remain on our return. Best wishes to you and yours moving forward.

19. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

Graft a new headstock on it get it back into playing and call it "The Phoenix"[/QUOTE]

20. moreles

moreles Senior Member

So sorry for your losses. I love what you are doing with this survivor, and unless the body is charred and no longer woody, I think you are on the right track, particularly doing the resto yourself. I, too, would save the neck and graft a headstock, or get a replacement neck if the neck is no longer sound. Both are do-able. I would not spend vast $$$ to have a high-end restorer remake it because that's not the result I would want. Speaking only for myself, I would want the therapy, challenge, and satisfaction of bringing my guitar back to life. Just looking at it, I can readily see the potential beauty there. I wouldn't turn my beloved guitar into a silly knick-knack if I could save her. Best wishes.

XpensiveWino and John Dewey like this.