Flamed Flame Top

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by rykus, Feb 5, 2018.

1. scottatgc

scottatgc Member

Shouldn't it be covered under your home owners insurance?

rykus likes this.
  2. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm curious, did you put in an insurance claim? My biggest worry is a fire or even a pipe leak. I opted for a Heritage insurance policy for piece of mind. I don't trust my regular home owners policy to cover high end musical instruments. Can't wait to see the results of your restoration.

rykus likes this.
  3. Frails

Frails Senior Member

Damn man! Anyone with a guitar they’ve bonded with can relate to the pain you must have felt. Are those OTPG’s dbl whites?

4. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Horrible to hear about your house man! I've been there when I was young. We lost everything but we moved on and started again through the struggle.

After the clean up I would not change a thing about that guitar you decided to clean up. It's a moment and point in your life. Leave it, cherish it and play the hell out of it if it is still playable IMO.

rykus likes this.
  5. bungle

bungle Premium Member

Just died a little inside. Total tragedy! Great your goina try and bring it back. Best of luck.

Mockbel and rykus like this.
  6. mptachenko

mptachenko Junior Member

That is a terrible loss! But the guitar looks really cool. I love guitars with stories and guitars that show their battle wounds and live through them to keep rocking. I can't believe I am the first to say "I guess it is a real flame top now!" Good luck with the restoration. I look forward to see what comes of it.

rykus likes this.
  7. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

This is very saddening; I'm sorry for what I imagine are a lot of losses.

Looks like she might rise from the metaphorical and literal ashes and be born again, though. Best of luck to you sir.

rykus likes this.
  8. Mark1406

Mark1406 Senior Member

This is more or less how I see it.

It's going to cost you to get this guitar back in shape.

1. Would you prefer to search for a killer Les Paul and hang the burnt guitar up on the wall.

2. Do the least you have to do to get it working. I suspect replacing the neck won't be cheap, so you could glue a new piece of wood where the carbon starts. I wouldn't be happy with this. I'd want a new neck. I doubt the bridge and tailpiece are in very good shape but I wouldn't scrimp on these parts, then put aftermarket electronic into it. I wouldn't worry about refinishing.

3. Send it to someone like Historic Makeovers and it should be like new. Very expensive.

I'd probably go for options 2 unless it was really something special, or had a lot of sentimental value.

Regards

Mark

rykus likes this.
  9. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter

..Best of luck as you move forward !!... thankful you and family are ok

10. davidjudd2

davidjudd2 Junior Member

My shop burned down in the Cedar fire of '03. i lost most of my guitars and all my tools. There was nothing but ashes and puddles of aluminum left, so having some mementos to work with is pretty cool. You'll do the right thing.

Thumpalumpacus and rykus like this.
  11. Rik shafer

Rik shafer Junior Member

Agree.

rykus likes this.
  12. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

It might be cool if you crowded some tuners in what's left of the headstock.

13. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

Did insurance pay for the loss of contents, ie the guitars? I've got coverage for all our contents including my guitars.

jc2000 and rykus like this.
  14. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Silver Supporter

think about what you saved , let the other stuff go

good luck to you moving forward

rykus likes this.
  15. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

So sorry for the house loss as well as the guitars. If you do revive it, it'll have one hell of a mojo story.

rykus likes this.
  16. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Ohh Doug,
    I just found this thread, and my heart sunk!
    So sorry to hear this news. Glad your ok.
    That R8 had the best neck, and sounded so good!
    Good luck with the restoration, and more importantly re-building your home ect.
    All the best!
    I'll stay tuned.

rykus likes this.
  17. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

Sorry about the loss of your home. Can only imagine the hurt involved. Looking forward to seeing the positive story of the resurrection of this ol' burned girl.

This isn't the same burned Les Paul that was in Haight St. Music towards the end of the wall on the right as you walked in the door was it? Those guys had a few like that, including an old Marshall with " liquid damage" from a mishap with a beer . I can't remember his name, but they had a very talented luthier working there back then as well that was known for his immaculate headstock repairs.

mudface likes this.
  18. mudface

mudface Senior Member

YES!!....Wow...that is so cool, that was hell of a long time ago.....I have thought what had become of it...:hmm: I wonder if it's the same one...

Hogie34 likes this.
  19. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

Yeah, that was my go to shop back then when I was playing the rock star LOL. They were a bunch of really cool older guys who were around when Jimi did some hanging out in the park partaking in recreational behavior hehehe.

Rykus, sorry for the hijack man. Just crazy some of the stuff that gets brought up in these forums from pre-internet days.

rykus and mudface like this.
  20. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I spent some quality time in that area indeed....bought some great gear....Leo's Music in Oakland was another good stop.:cheers:

rykus and Hogie34 like this.