Flamed Flame Top

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by rykus, Feb 5, 2018.

1. rykus

rykus Senior Member

My house burned down last year. Managed to pull this out and a few others but I didn't have the heart to really get into it till now...as found with some fun effects from IG. IMG_1106.JPG
    So I decided to grab the least burned of my Les Paul's and see if I could restore it to player...

Was a '98 R8 I got of fellow member Retrobob... the OTPG pu's are still good, but I gutted her and started cleaning... I'll get some after pics tomorrow.

Attached Files:

framos, sk8rat, BWOTW and 19 others like this.
  2. StillLearning

StillLearning Senior Member

Sorry to hear, and best of luck going forward!

harrie 0492 likes this.
  3. harrie 0492

harrie 0492 Senior Member

OO my .... he rykus is it this?? [​IMG]

4. joff

joff Senior Member

Ouch...lost for words. :sadwave:

5. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Damn...that´s bad luck... I hope everybody is well.

Your guitar looks like Rammstein´s Richard Z Kruspe´s Signature ESP guitar now:)

[​IMG]

The finish is called "burnt"...

Best of luck and I am looking forward to seeing how your guitar will end up! Maybe just put a Floyd Rose in it with some active pickups and do some Rammstein:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

rykus likes this.
  6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Back in 1984 i was in a San Francisco music store and saw something very similar hanging on the wall. It was a real 1959 Standard looking like a spent match. And it was for sale............................."1959 Standard Fire sale $3000".....If it was a joke, i wasn't laughing......half of the Celluloid inlays burnt holes clean through the fretboard......stuff of nightmares......even Stephen King wouldn't understand......I feel your pain:(

Hogie34 and rykus like this.
  7. Jazzfinger

Jazzfinger Member

Very sorry to hear about your house and guitars. Makes me think I should start selling off what I'm not using.

rykus likes this.
  8. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Damn. One of my worst fears. Hope everyone was/is okay... that’s what really matters. And if you really liked that guitar before the fire, you should definitely resurrect it. It deserves it and so do you.

GBLEV and rykus like this.
  9. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

:( Oh, man. I'm so sorry that happened. I hope everyone involved is OK.

Thanks for sharing and I'll be interseted to follow your progress on the R8.

rykus likes this.
  10. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Man that sucks. Good luck with the resto.

rykus likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Oh, man, that hurts looking at.

I hope everyone's well and you can get a good start moving forward again.

rykus likes this.
  12. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

Damn ...that sucks. Sorry to hear this. Real mystery how the "superman" plastic remains pretty much unscathed. :confused:

rykus likes this.
  13. rykus

rykus Senior Member

No Harrie, 8 8400 was sold back to Pete Bosl***. He sold it to me and really regretted it so I sold her back 5 years later about a year before the fire... but I did loose a few others including my replica and historic makeover and my favourite 2 LP's are severely burned a 69 custom and 01 R9...

My amps burned to nothing... yeah I am not stoked I wasn't more prepared but not something you think will actually happen..

14. rykus

rykus Senior Member

The guitars(that survived)where leaned in their cases headstock up and case handle pointed out in a closet of an exterior wall... because they where tight together the bodies on the ones in the middle didn't burn. The open space around the headstock gave enough air that the headstocks burned off all them, but the open cases on fender PRS where much worse because all the open air space..

Lifton case burned a bit less than the pink 90's style I gues because once on fire all the padding shrank and gave an air pocket by the selector switch because that is where I got the most damage(was also the part of the guitar highest off ground pointed at the heat)

In hind sight even a few wool or moving blankets over them would have helped, and being laid from most valuable up flat on the floor also would have helped... if you guitar room is on a second floor etc I'd be worried and maybe look into good cases... I know I will be buying some next time!

15. rykus

rykus Senior Member

IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1110.PNG This is the 98 pre burn..

DADF#AD, SaltFox, Mockbel and 8 others like this.
  16. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Ugh, what a terrible circumstance. (Understatement of the year, I’m sure). Definitely one of my worst fears. Good luck, I’d love to see how any bit of it can come back to life.

My vote would be to name it Lazarus or Phoenix.

Seriously best to you and yours. I’m sure in many ways the guitar must be lessor of many concerns.

Rik shafer, rykus and harrie 0492 like this.
  17. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Yeah it was a house I bought off my father, and we both "collect" stuff (hoarders,lol)... was really devastating and honestly my guitars where my main concern and probably the hardest to swallow.... I bought my 69 custom in 2004 with every cent I had... bought my 50watt plexi around the same time... probably won't get to own those again but there is so much cool hand built amps and guitars now it is easier.

I'm going to try to restore my custom if I can do anything with this R8... or send it to BCR Greg!

Luckily I had my favourite strat, my dog, a braz R0, and my two prize collector guitars at other safe spots and my cat was smart enough to get out...

DADF#AD, SaltFox, DrSte31n and 7 others like this.
  18. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Tore down and cleaned up with orange clean alcohol and scrubby then taking the char off with 200grit... IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1113.JPG IMG_1115.JPG IMG_1117.JPG

sk8rat, drpietrzak, CaptainT and 14 others like this.
  19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Oh man, so sorry you had to go through this Doug. :(

Good luck bringing this one back to life. :)

Cheers, Rudi

rykus likes this.
  20. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wow, so sorry to hear this. But I have to admit, this looks so cool as-is, I'd be very tempted to slap some heavily aged hardware and some strings on here, and play the crap out of it:

[​IMG]

Frank