fix my mix!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Joeydego, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Acoustic, cheap mic, interface, fender jaguar and a mesa MKV for electric stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/joeydego/acoustic-thing

Working with painfully bad monitors. Doesnt sound awful in some mid priced headphones. Whats in need? I have a few ideas but dont want to point them out quite yet.

I already know my slide playing sounds like a cat swung around by its tail. I might retake that track.

2. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Wait til you get home and use your better stuff.

KInda mish moshed together with not enough differentiation of individual instruments. And maybe some subtle timing issues that exacerbate the previous? Add a click track and isolate all the individual tracks and listen to which might be out of sync. Maybe none. Then move on to making individual space in your soundstage for each. Add compression on that acoustic guitar track and bring it consistent throughout right where it needs to be. Carve out niches using an EQ where there is too midrange overlap.

It sounds like each track on its own would be really nice. But thrown in the blender, goes in the wrong direction.

But I'm really a beginner, so hopefully all the Pros will pipe in! Or Piper Down! (So I married an axe murder)

I'm thinking a light, end of Summer, reflection piece.

Watch out Pete Thorn..... JD is on the prowl. LOL

I think when you get it worked out, it will be quite nice!

3. Joeydego

Glad you pointed out the timing issues. They're all in the percussion tracks and they're drag and drop and don't quite fit the song perfectly. The accents are off. I think the effects are also a bit overboard. Thanks for the listen.

4. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Just listening on cheap studio headphones at the moment. Seems to me like maybe too much going on in the same frequencies. Ears got fatigued quickly trying to piece out the parts. Could be the headphones though.

5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

The more I listen to it, the more pronounced the slightly off (time) on the canned tracks are taking this apart.

Do you still have PT8? Did they start Elastic Time yet? I've never used it, but it can address these issues. Might be 9 or 10 when it started. Probably a whole bunch of videos needed to learn it. Thankfully YT is really good for learning PT features.

The over the top effects might just work fine when timing is dead on. Slight timing issues make good stuff look like gas station toilet faster than most other issues. LOL You know. :laugh2:

Fix it though. This could be really nice! Also spread out the instruments using various techniques. (panning, EQ, and so on) :fingersx:

6. Joeydego

Yea I have elastic audio. Its mostly the conga track killing it and a little of the tambo too. Might edit midi hit by hit to see if I can smooth that over. 3 minute track will take an hour of editing.

7. DavGrape

DavGrape Senior Member

All good from me.
    Airy and open.
    I gotta have more slide, and earlier.

8. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

You're more optimistic than I thought! LOL

Give the elastic audio a try and see if you can re-time these to work. That's a lot better than trying find replacements that work. OR.... Buy a midi keyboard and a nice assortment of virtual instruments. Unfortunately there is no download like in The Matrix for Instant Keyboardist. I would've bought them all anyway!

9. Joeydego

What a difference a day makes!!!!
    Deleted percussion track (on the advice of Zeros)
    Added canned drum track. Im 90% happy with it
    Added 2 reso tracks. really makes the whole country acoustic vibe pop better now.

https://soundcloud.com/joeydego/country-road

10. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Hey Joey!

I know it's an old thread but I just got around to listening to it.

I realize I'm a virtual unknown around here as I just started a while ago, but I like stuff like you're doing here. :thumb:

Frankly, I am surprised because if I were to go off your Musician Finder shot I would think you were a lot harder rocker! Just goes to show, what do I know? LOL!

I have been doing live sound for well over 30 years and recently branched into the home studio - live recording realm. Just so you know I'm not COMPLETELY talking out of my rear end! :D

2 things stand out to me as soon as I started listening.

First the rhythm track. As the 'backbone' of the song it needs to stand out a little more. Run it into the limiter a little harder and dial up a little more sparkle to accent the edges a little. Make it dreamier, remove a little mid-range where the reverb is dominating and gumming up the clarity.

second the lead track needs sort of the opposite. It needs a little more compression and limiting to level it out and squash it down just a little so it doesn't overpower the background so much.

These will obviously work together, so I would start with clarifying the background and giving it some 'loudness' first.

Then just a little compression around the peaks of the solo, just to make it play nice with the backdrop.

my 2 cents.

11. Joeydego

Thanks for your listen and feedback. I promise I rock harder than this! https://soundcloud.com/joeydego/shreddy-thing-1/s-qYs4w

12. DarrellV

:wow:
    That was really good!
    I liked how you mixed it up by backing off on the intensity for a bit, then ramping it back up again.

Loved that little bit of low volume playing around near the end. Keeps it from just becoming ear fatiguing and shows off your creative streak.

Sounds like you had a blast doing it too! Can hear it in your playing.
    I was grinning along with it like an idiot! :D

Not a metal head by nature, I'm too old.
    But this, without the guttural puke in your mouth "singing", I really like!

Ok, surprised :shock:! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing!

13. Joeydego

Thanks so much for listening. I've always wanted to do a full blown album but lack the local musicians to collaborate with. This is all just demo quality stuff in my basement done by me (minus the drum programming on the track you just heard).

14. DarrellV

Go for it! Remember Tom Sholz and Boston? He didn't wait around for a band.

I didn't find anything in the drum parts that stands out, so it must have worked.

Oh, hey! Just heard of a new service they're offering around you called 'musician finder'. Maybe you could rent a band for the album.... :hmm:

Yes, I'm LOLLING!!! :laugh2:

This mix, BTW is much closer to what I was describing for your other track as far as balance goes.

15. DarrellV

Just read your Prosumer thread, so I caught up on some history.

If this is the same tune (I didn't listen to the other) They are right about the potential.

This is good crossover stuff that's approachable to non metal heads like the other member said.

Heck, I'd ship you my bass if it would help, LOL!

I assume you can play one....:cool:

FWIW I record mine direct out of the back of my Ampeg SVT head.

Sounds as good as my cab to me, and a lot quieter too!

16. Joeydego

Ive been casually looking around at used basses, +/- 200 or so. Wonder how going direct will sound or even thru a guitar amps clean channel :shock:

17. DarrellV

It would be iffy IMO using a guitar amp. Most of them are made to roll off at a higher frequency than a bass amp because it helps keep the 60 cycle hum noise out of the speaker. And in the old days (before 7 string) guitars didn't really go down to that level with any kind of strength, so it was easier to just roll it off.

Now a bass amp on the other hand, that's much closer to hi-fi and a clean channel to die for. I've played my acoustic through my SVT in a pinch and it sounded like a high end stereo. Clear as a bell!

Another thing to consider trying is splitting the signal and running one direct (for full range bottom end clean) and running one through your guitar amp with a little grit and mixing them together in your mixer.

I would direct out of your guitar cab if possible and not expose your guitar cab speakers to any extended bass work of any loud volume. Use headphones.

Speakers are also tuned for the range of sound they will be working in, loud bass would not be good for them.

However recording at lower volumes with a mic would be ok and might get you some interesting tones....

18. DarrellV

And on a different note:

I just re-listened to this at work on a more full range set of computer speakers.

Something I noticed that has nothing to do with the mix, but I believe is very important when coming across in a recording.

Since we cannot see you on a recording (unlike live), your inflections and emoting as you are enjoying yourself are lost on us.

What it sounds like is the solo melody is 'unhinged' from the backing track and seems to just meander over the top of it with no clear ties to it.

It may be my years as a bass player that make me more aware of this.

Every 8 or so (whatever your stanza length is) IMHO it helps to have a 'turnaround lick' or a small descending scale run that touches down on the final beat of the measure, even if it's just for one note, just so we know where we are.

It helps to anchor your soloing to the rythm track. It would accent where the words 'country road' would fall if it were sung.

It creates a reference point, like breathing in, and then you can launch into it again.

Oh, gosh I hope this made sense!:shock:

19. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

20. DarrellV