Fit Jaydee Pickups In a P-90 Cavity Guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by terriblebmx, Sep 2, 2017.

1. terriblebmx

terriblebmx Junior Member

Hey guys I've had these Iommi pickups for the longest just sitting around not being used.
    I really want to put them into use again along with the bridge and I was wondering if they can be fitted into a P90 cavity without issue or will I need the pickup ring with them?

I have my eye on this Gibson P90

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My current guitar which I don't feel like messing around with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My pickups and bridge (R.I.P Schaller 456)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

Yes, you will have to route the cavity just a wee bit. If your using an original John Birch pickup you can get away with a standard P-90 route but not with the Jaydee

The_Nuge and marksoundguitars like this.
  3. terriblebmx

terriblebmx Junior Member

Thanks for your reply Lou, btw I love your guitars. Tony was my reason for picking up the guitar. I'm going to have a luthier do the work. I currently have creamtone making me some custom pickup rings for the pickups and a pickguard to fit. The guitar I ordered just arrived today. I'm a little dissapointed with the contour of the body but it's not too bad. It's not as fat as the epiphones. The head is smaller as well.

Left SG 67' reissue P90, Right - Derek Trucks
    [​IMG]

Where the neck joins on the re-issue looks a bit weird to me but I guess that's how they do them? (left - derek trucks, right - reissue)
    [​IMG]

Headstock comparison
    [​IMG]