Fishman Fluence

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Weldaar, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Corporal Clegg

Corporal Clegg Junior Member

I am having a coniption fit trying to get the Fluence Classic Humbucker set to work in my Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro. The bridge pickup just doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I gave up and took it to Guitar Center and I had to prod the guy for weeks to work on it. (The good tech had just retired and the replacement was a sales guy). He got both pups to work but I felt there was always something not right about the tone controls. They just didn't do anything. I ordered a second set of pots to do it over again myself.

I installed a set of the "modern" Fluence set on a Schecter A-6 and everything works beautifully. So the experience prepped me to do over the Les Paul. Or so I thought. I thought everything was going great and found room for a coil tap switch and installed that as well. I closed the patient up and the bridge pickup is silent again. The neck pickup tone control now works the way it should and the coil tap switch works too. But I've spent all day trouble shooting and can't get the bridge pickup to work. It's maddening. There is virtually no information on the net except reviews, Fishman's own schematics, ads, but no one talking about having any issues. I really don't want to put this back in the hands of the Guitar Center Tech.

I fell in love with this technology and started by putting the Greg Koch Signature "Gristle Tone" Fluence set in my G&L ASAT Classic. It if wonderful. Then I figured I'd jump on on of Musician's Friend's "Stupid Deal of the Day" promos where this Les Paul was reduced from $499 to $319. I intended to make it a "project" and ordered the Classic Fluence Humbuckers. It's been since August that I mucked around not able to get the bridge pup to work, then having the GC guy install them incorrectly so that I got no "voicings" and no tone control. I have been getting along using EQ presets in Guitar Rig 5 to take some of the sizzle off. But with the success of installing the "Modern" set on the Schecter, I figured I was ready to get the Epi Les Paul to work as it should. I'm angry right now. I've done it all twice, thee time, looked at my connections under a magnifying glass. I just can't get the bridge buckers to fire up. Any help? Thanks in advance.

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Interesting thread. Thank you all. These pickups have sounded promising since the first reports came in months ago. What I would really love is for someone to develop a better battery-management unit, because I will never, ever again play active pickups if I have to use the stupid "unplug" "bring an extra" etc. routine. It should be easy enough to create a unit that disconnects power when no signal (or movement) has been detected for, say, 5 min. It seems ludicrous to me to pair incredible sound design and engineering with a really stupid power system.

3. Corporal Clegg

Corporal Clegg Junior Member

Fishman makes a rechargeable battery pack which charges from USEditB power. It lasts for 200 hours between charges. When you plug in the usb cable that comes with the battery pack set, a light turns red. It turns green when charged. They make one that is specially for Les Pauls which comes with a Les Paul cavity cover (black) which the battery-pack is attached to. It's very thin and won't come near your pots. The access and LED light are manufactured to be nicely convenient in the center of the cavity cover. No need to ever take off the cavity cover EVER again.

Caution--I bought one for my Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro and the route was too tight. I have spoken with Fishman support. They agreed to take it back and send me the "universal battery pack" which is the same battery and inch-square circuit board. But you have to drill a half inch hole in your cavity cover of non-Gibson shape to expose the USB and LED to external access. The battery and tiny circuit board stick on with peel-off two-sided material. Again, once you have it hooked up to the red wires going to the pups and black wire going to the ring on the jack which comes with the set pick up set, you never have to open the cavity cover again. The battery is supposed to last forever.