First *Vintage* Guitar Day: 1966 SG Special "PLAYER"!

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by mr. moon, Oct 15, 2018.

1. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

Wheeeewwwwww!!!

I have made my first vintage guitar purchase: a 1966 SG Special!!!! Definitely player's grade, but dripping with mojo! Recently had a pro refret, so it plays "like butter" and the sound! Man, I finally get what people are talking about with vintage instruments. Resonates like crazy. War Pigs tone for days!

More pics will be on the way, but here are a couple to start with.

:headbanger:

Joth, Greco, LSAR and 9 others like this.
  2. bossaddict

bossaddict @david.beason on IG Premium Member

Looks good, congrats!

3. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Very cool. Nothing like a P90 equipped SG. Tone machines

4. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

Moar pics!!!!

As a player, she's rough around the edges, but such a joy to play and really inspires me. I usually determine if a guitar inspires me enough to keep it by whether or not I write a song using it within the first week. The first song came to me within hours of monkeying around with this one!

It's been routed for a humbucker in the bridge position, which could come in handy at some point. Has period-correct pickups (not sure if original or not), bridge intonation mod, replacement Grover tuners, and all original wiring with the exception of the bridge volume pot. The finish is checked nicely and the body is a single slab of wood.

mdubya, MusicMan and 61LPSG like this.
  5. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

Killer!

mdubya likes this.
  6. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

That's the first time I've seen a bridge modified that way. Honestly, it's pretty clever!

7. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

Same here!

So, here's a question for anyone here:
    Should I connect a ground wire from one of the pots to the solder point in the wiring (in green circle)?

8. judson

judson Senior Member

why?...looks like the ground wire is connected already up where the pup wiring rolls out?

is it humming and is it a ground wire...wouldnt hurt if you think its a ground and its humming

9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Wow. Those are some very livable issues. Congrats on a GREAT guitar!

10. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

No ground wire is connected to the metal cavity directly, so was wondering if that may assist with noise/hum elimination.

11. judson

judson Senior Member

im not sure but is it humming? do the old "hands on hands off "and humming goes away when you touch the strings test?

all my guitars are quiet as an ant fart, but i play at very low bedroom levels most times

i dont have any cavity shields except in an old 67 EBO bass i will check to see if they grounded the plate at all...

12. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

Yeah, there is some noise, more than my other guitars which all have humbuckers. Increased noise most likely at least partially due to difference between humbuckers and P90's, but just wanted to see how these were wired from the factory.

Actually, just did a google image search for it and it looks like they did not have a lead running from the plating to any pots or anything, so I think I will just assume that someone did that after the fact and not worry about it.

13. judson

judson Senior Member

try it as it cant hurt..here is the bass cavity doesnt look like any additional plate grounding

IMG_20181020_121841928.jpg

14. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

The pots are already touching the shielding no need to solder it.

judson likes this.
  15. bungle

bungle Premium Member

:dude:Congrats! Nice axe

16. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

Thanks! :jam:

Thus far I have put a new WD pickguard on it to replace the warped original, and swapped out the old Grover tuners with a new set of Grover locking tuners. All the tuner shafts were sloppy on the old ones, and it was pretty much a very easy replacement swap that required minimal work. Seems more resonant now, but that's probably just expectation bias rearing its ugly head...

bungle likes this.
  17. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

The pickguard doesn't affect tone, but sloppy tuner posts can. The tighter everything is for the strings from the TP to the tuner posts, the better.

18. mr. moon

mr. moon Senior Member

Agreed on all points. I was more concerned about the pickguard physically catching on something and getting ripped off the guitar, it was that warped. The new one is seated properly and causes me no concern getting caught on anything. I did pick up a pigtail bridge for it, but not sure if I will install it or not, as it's intonated really well with the original bridge and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", right?