[First Post] My First Epiphone LP :)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by benjamin, Feb 26, 2009.

1. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

First of all I'd like to thank everyone, I've learnt so much on this forum.

Finally got my first Epiphone Les Paul Custom off ebay!!!

I'm not even sure if it's a fake (The serial number doesn't have a factory code and I was told it was made in Samick Indonesia). I don't really care at this point. I have already added 2 500k push/pull pots with .022 metal film caps, replaced those stock pickups with SD Jazz / JB Model and installed a pair of straplocks. Currently planning to install a Bigsby B7 on to this guitar and probably a better bridge to go with it. :laugh2:

Here are some pics of the LP:
    Ben's Epiphone Les Paul Custom
    No Facebook account needed.

Just noticed that I posted the wrong link, sorry lol.

2. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

That's a real nice guitar you got there bro. Congrats.:thumb: I hope its not fake either man but if your ok if it is well than its all good. Can I ask why you didnt check first though?:hmm: Either way, with all the modds you are doing to it, i bet it sounds killer. :dude:What kinda stuff do you play?

Congrats again and welcome to the forum bro!!!:)

3. Partsa

Partsa Junior Member

I love the white colour on LPs. I love the gold hardware on white LPs. I love how bigsby looks in general. Ergo, I think your guitar looks awesome.
    Does it sound as good as it (is going to) look?

4. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Congrats, Ben! That's a sweet custom! :thumb:

5. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

Man your just full of love bro:thumb::laugh2:

6. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

Hmm... The guy did give me a set of pics of the the guitar and they looked real enough in the pics so I bought it straight out. That was before I discovered this forum. I wasn't aware that there were fake ones around at that time.

The guitar sure sounds a lot better than with the stock pickups. These SD pickups are known for their versatility and I think they really do. I play all sort of stuff from jazz to metal.

The truss rod / action / intonation were crap out of the box so I did a set up myself and now it's perfect. The only problem is the guitar won't stay in tune. (I'm pretty sure it isn't the way I string it.) I've ordered a set of grover locking tuners and hopefully the holes on the headstock is not bigger than the new tuners. :hmm:

I just love my LP!

Cheers :thumb:

7. pbrad74

pbrad74 Member

Nice!!

8. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Ben a lot of the tuning issues come from the strings binding in the slots in the plastic nut, a set of small files is all that is needed to correct the problem. just clean up the slots a bit and it will stay in tune better.

And properly stringing and then stretching the strings will also go a long way to keeping it in tune.

9. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

Great tips!
    I'm gonna try that now. Thanks a lot :thumb:

10. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

I don't want to make a new post to ask this question, so I'll ask here in my own thread.

What Tune-o-matic bridge goes well with my bigsby b7? or should I just contact TWANG?

Edited: (Nevermind I just bought a metric roller bridge and it fits.)

11. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

Yup what LP said bro. Some powered graphite mixed with vasiline is a great lube for your nut and helps to keep you axe in tune real well. Just put a little on a toothpick in your string slots the next time you change out your strings and your in. I have regular old plasitc nuts on my guitars and thanks to that stuff, no problems for me man:thumb:

12. qwank

qwank Senior Member

the headstock looks iffy :Ohno:

edit: actually, maybe not

13. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

lol no worries. Every comments count.

14. Ar0Rose

Ar0Rose Junior Member

Hey bro! Congratz!! :D Yeah, I have a Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's also made in Samick, Indonesia and It does not have a factory code (It's serial no. is 0808231718) But I seriously love it dude... :thumb: It's finish is almost flawless too... And I love the slim-taper neck.... Anw bro ur's look exactly lyk mine except mine's in Ebony... N by looking at the photos it looks just lyk mine... Was wondering tad the guitar has a long or short tenon?? N does the SD SH2n Jazz & SH4 JB sound awesome wif the guitar?? Anw... Bro all in all tad's a f***ing KILLER guitar XD Congratz!!! :applause:

15. Ar0Rose

Ar0Rose Junior Member

O yeah... I also emailed Gibson photos of my guitar and all and they confirmed that it was legit and Epiphone now have serial no. wifout factory codes... N usually Indonesia and Korea made Epiphone headstock logo the 'h' is usually pointing directly sightly towards the right side of the middle of the binding And bro your guitar looks damn sweet...

16. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

Hey thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the info. Just wondering did yours came with alpha pots when you first got it? Thats the only reason I think mine was fake.

17. Jody

Jody Senior Member

You just gotta love those white customs....you have good taste my friend...[​IMG]

18. benjamin

benjamin Senior Member

Hey Thanks :thumb:
    EMG pickups and black hardware on a white custom!
    Believe it or not I had the same thought but then I went with gold.
    Awesome choice bro!

Anymore pics to share?

19. Jody

Jody Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2: beat ya to it...:D and sure...[​IMG]

20. Ar0Rose

Ar0Rose Junior Member

Yeah, mine did came with Alpha pots... N yeah, they are legit... I just think that Indonesia has cheaper labour that's all... And I seriously love it... :thumb: Hoping to get a White one later on... :laugh2: