First ever recording - be kind

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by redking, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

good question. perhaps. All I know is my ear is super sensitive to pitch problems so I hear it no matter what. If your DAW has any kind of pitch correction tool, apply it to your track...just open it it up so it analyzes the track, don't actually apply the correction part of it. This is a great way to see where you're off until your ear is trained enough to tell on your own.

artis_xe and mgenet like this.
  2. redking

redking Senior Member

I'm gonna experiment with shelving the bass off on the vocal track as I am singing and see if that helps how I hear it as I'm singing. My own voice resonates "through my head" much deeper than it is in real life, and it affects my perception of the pitch - I think mostly when I try to sing in a lower pitch. This also affects how I have heard the vocal tracks through my headphones as I have so far really pushed the bass and cut the treble - maybe the opposite of what I should be doing. Another option is to capo the guitar and sing it in a slightly higher register and see if that helps with the situation.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Getting your headphone mix just right is critical! Also, flip the polarity of the mic just to make sure what you're hearing in your headphones is actually aligned with the bone conduction of your head.
    And yes, you should experiment with keys. A whole tone or even a semi-tone can make a huge difference!

4. redking

redking Senior Member

Ok... here's #4...

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695/hunger-strike-4

I capo'd the guitar on the first fret and raised the pitch by a semi-tone and I feel like it made a big difference to the verses, although the "I'm going hungry!" screams at the end were much more difficult for me. I re-recorded everything from scratch in the new key using an SM-57 and checked back and forth between my headphones and computer speakers a bunch of times to get additional perspective on how the track would sound. (also bumped up to 72 bpm from 68) I always hear it different a day later, so will see how I this sounds to me tomorrow, but for now check it out and let me know what you think.

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

wow. What an improvement. That key is much better for your vocal delivery and power. (although the guitar sounds like a banjo now....but that's not important)
    Pitch is way, way better too.

6. redking

redking Senior Member

Ha! thanks Freddy! Ya the "banjification" of the guitar is unfortunate... lol. I'm thinking a slightly heavier gauge of strings or just tuning the current strings up a half step instead and skip the capo. The screams at the end are kind of painful so need to try those again and give the vocals one more try. After that I will probably move on to other projects as I'm getting sick of singing this song over and over again.. lol.

7. redking

redking Senior Member

Ok.... Version 5 guys! :acoustic:

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695/hunger-strike-5

I rented a Gibson J45 and re-recorded all the guitar parts and I also had another run at the "screams" at the end. (Damn! now I have to buy a J45! :naughty:) Please let me know what you think overall. I have roughly mixed this in Garageband by playing with levels on each track, EQ, Compression, Reverb etc. - but no clue where to go from there to try and make it all gel a bit better or "Master" it so to speak. I'm gonna search youtube for mastering demos - any videos (or tips) you would recommend?

Thanks!

8. redking

redking Senior Member

Oh yeah, I lied about being sick of this song.. lol. I think I will eventually add the ending of the song with live drums, electric guitars and bass once I get my recording method figured out for all of those.

9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Sounds great but why record a song someone already did? How bout something YOU wrote? You sing very good and i would love hear YOU and something you wrote..

10. redking

redking Senior Member

Refined the screams at the end.. V.7 they were a bit flat in V.5

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695/hunger-strike-7-1

Thanks for your comments frankv. I am using this song as a learning tool to improve my singing and recording skills because there is a frame of reference of a "known song" and it makes it a bit easier for me judge my progression. I am currently demoing and piecing together my own stuff as well, but it takes time for me to create the vocal melodies to fit the guitar parts that have long been written (a dozen years in some cases). Stay tuned for some original stuff in the future.

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Honestly, mastering is a rabbit hole that you don't want to go down right now. I suggest just getting more adept with your mixing tools for now. That's a whole huge skill set to begin with.

If you really want to try though, just start with a simple compressor or limiter on the stereo bus. I like an SSL comp set to maybe 3:1 with just a couple of db reduction. And/or a brickwall limiter like a waves L2 (last in the chain if you use compression as well)....same thing...set for just a couple or 3 db reduction. This will give you a bit of glue for the mix and also make it a bit louder and more in your face.

12. Ambrola

Ambrola Senior Member

This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed

??????