First ever recording - be kind

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by redking, Jan 15, 2018.

1. redking

redking Senior Member

Hey guys
    Spent a few hours playing with Garageband, my Apogee duet and a cheap Peavey mic today and here are the results. This is my first ever recording of any kind...
    Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695/hunger-strike-1

2. redking

redking Senior Member

After listening a few more times now I wanna have another go at those vocals LOL :) Funny how just a few hours later and listening on different speakers and you hear it completely differently than as you were recording.

3. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Refine it. I like the overall tone of it.

4. judson

judson Senior Member

first time i heard my recorded voice i vowed never to record it again....i am still not comfortable with it

was that a reso you were playing, 12 string ?

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

The sonic quality is actually pretty darn good! If you want to refine your vocal, I have a suggestion.... write out the melody so you know what note each word and syllable should be. You can practice singing it while you play the single note melody on your guitar. It's so important that you don't sound like you're searching for the note. It's usually the passing notes that get you....nail those down.

6. redking

redking Senior Member

Thanks guys. The guitar is a Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk (6 string) - it has a bit of a Department Store sound to it, which I kinda like being a big Jack White fan. I cut those vocals so many times because many were spoiled by mic pops. Next run through I will have a pop filter in place to help that. And great tip Freddy on practicing the notes - I will record a track with the vocal melody played on guitar and sing to that for practice.... you totally nailed it about where I am "searching for notes" in between the signature notes of that song. Also doesn't help that the 2 best vocalists (imho) of my generation did that tune together as a comparison! :)

7. judson

judson Senior Member

i like the "dept store sound"...great advice from freddy also

slug_maine likes this.
  8. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

I think the guitars sound pretty darn good. The panning seems too hard. If you're not already familiar with them, you might want to read up on the many ways there are to expand and control the stereo field that go far beyond just panning.

I liked how you did the vocal again and sort of made it sound like another singer. You definitely succeeded in moving that part of the vocal back in the sound stage. I liked that.

I think you have a great tone to your voice, but you are off on some of the notes. Freddy's idea sounds good. In general it sounds like you just need to do it more. Given the great tone of your voice, I think it is well worth your effort to keep working on the vocals. I'm sure your pitch accuracy will improve with more practice. You're clearly NOT tone deaf and well on your way.

Keep it up.

slug_maine likes this.
  9. redking

redking Senior Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement Spitfire and everyone. I hope to get to work on this a bit more this week with some of those suggestions in mind.

10. redking

redking Senior Member

Pop1655 likes this.
  11. frozenotter

frozenotter Premium Member Premium Member

Not bad at all. You might find an Exciter/Sonic Maximizer plugin to sparkle it up a bit.

Also, it "sounds" like you are recording direct with the guitar ...might wanna use a mic instead.

12. redking

redking Senior Member

Everything is recorded with a Peavey PVi 100 mic, but on this second version I compressed the shit out of many parts of it. Now listening to it on computer speakers / headphones it sounds way too compressed, like all the life has been squeezed out of it. What do you guys think? Vocals may need a take 3 too LOL...

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

An improvement. But I would not say it's too compressed. It actually sounds like you are self compressing your voice. This is a very common thing with singers when they try to emulate a pop recording (also timidity can play a part.) What you hear on that recording is a processed vocal...compression and EQ...don't try to recreate that sound with your singing voice. Try singing it with a totally open chest. Imagine if you are on a ball field and yelling for a player to throw you the ball. Try it. "throw me the ball" in your flat out playground voice. Now try the same amount of unrestricted projection and yell "I'm going hungry"...that's the right projection, now you just need to give it musical notes. Same with the lower register stuff...you won't exactly be yelling it, but imagine you are in a conference room with 50 people and you need to speak up, you puff your chest up and let it out in a big sonorous way. You don't want to limit the bottom end in your voice....you want it to resonate. It's no different when singing. Then you control and shape the recording afterwards with compression and EQ.

14. redking

redking Senior Member

Thanks Freddy... I will try that next time. I'm gonna try these and some other voice training exercises I have seen on Youtube. I wanna find that combination of natural voice along with hitting the notes. All of my attempts to sing along to records, etc. since I was a teenager have been "from the throat" and not from the diaphragm / gut and my first recordings on my smartphone of singing from "the throat" this past summer were very weak, thin and displeasing (ie. very difficult to hit the notes that way). I had it in my head for years that I could sing "ok" based on what I heard internally rather than from a recording, so I am literally starting from scratch. I find it a challenge, but I also find it to be a lot of fun so I appreciate everyone's feedback.

15. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

You should be proud of your first attempt. A few technical improvements and vocal practice will make this a great tune!

Congratulations!

16. bocage44

bocage44 Premium Member

Nice job - thanks for sharing!

17. redking

redking Senior Member

Thanks everyone... here's take 3 (or 300 - too many vocal takes to count lol). I brought down the compression on the tracks and recorded the vocals with my new SM 57 today. I will have another go at the "I'm going hungry" line another day so I inserted a scratch take for now. Will see what this sounds like with fresh ears tomorrow.

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695/hunger-strike-3

18. redking

redking Senior Member

Ok so here is a part technical question and part vocal "skill" question..... When listening back to these tracks on crappy computer / Ipad speakers, a good portion of the bass in my voice is inaudible and with it, the pitch of my voice appears "more off" (lol) than what I think it is, especially when comparing to listening through my Apogee setup at home. Why? Does a human voice have multiple "tones" or frequencies that when combined together naturally sound like one predominant tone / frequency? And presumably when you remove/reduce the key frequencies, it makes the whole thing sound "off"?

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I think the phenomenon you are experiencing has to do with the crappy speakers not reproducing the fundamental freqs. It's not that the pitch is any different, it's just that without the richness of the lower freqs present the ugly truth is harder to take! So what I'm saying is that it's a psycho-acoustic thing....slight imperfections in pitch are a lot easier to tolerate when the tone is rich and full as compared to if the tone is predominantly rude mids.

20. redking

redking Senior Member

So would cutting the bass right out be a good way to listen back and evaluate the quality of each take in that respect? (in terms of pitch)