First contact with a True Historic - oh yeahhh

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Mike J., Dec 30, 2017.

1. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

58 sounds great!

Mike J. likes this.
  2. Nippon

Nippon You looking at me?

I have played quite a few TH, but don't find them any better than a regular historic.

I think people tell themslves how great they are, to justify the cost.

Not saying they are bad, just don't buy the hype.

3. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

I've played a few really great ones and some just average. I think people tell themselves how they aren't any better than a regular historic to justify not spending the dough. :cheers2:

4. Nippon

Nippon You looking at me?

I am sure some do. That would be their choice.

Looking at the board on the TH is pretty typical, from what I have seen.

Not good for a guitar of that cost.

winexprt and RAG7890 like this.
  5. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

Now I definitely agree with that. A lot of dry looking boards on Historics in general these days.

6. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

My objective impression: There was no tonal difference, nor was the 58 board feeling dry or rough. I mean it could use some nice oil treatment.

Price: Actually, I do not care about named and brands. Playing more than 50 gigs a year plus studio work etc. my instruments are tools that I have to strongly connect with. I don’t care about resale value, investment, which glue is used, long tenons, etc.

Both instruments were talking to me in a way I haven’t experienced in 20 years since I bought my number one Strat.
    Therefor I do not feel the need to justify the price in any way - they would definitely make me play and compose in a better way, which brings even more joy and motivation to my playing. I love inspiring instruments.

I know there are different opinions and motivations (pure collectors, players, friends of craftsmanship, etc.) and all of them are absolutely legit.

7. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

For me it's just cosmetic. I wouldn't turn down a great guitar because the board was lighter in color.

Stuff and lpthomas like this.
  8. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

My words :)

9. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

My only experience with TH is my friends Slash 58, it was better than most older Historics, it felt and sounded right to be like an old instrument, the pickups are more articulate too but I wish they were old mahogany because the newer mahogany sounds different.

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.........Boards at Gibson waiting to go in to Production. ;)

[​IMG]

:cheers2:

11. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

:rofl::rofl:

RAG7890 likes this.
  12. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

LOL Rudi

RAG7890 likes this.
  13. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

I'm more of LPC guy but my TH58 is a definite keeper. The board is pretty dark but was a little dry when I first got it but after some Fret Doctor and lots of playing it's pretty slick now.

DanD, jenton70 and Mike J. like this.
  14. DanD

DanD Senior Member

My '15s were dry. One was very dark the other is dark w/medium brown streaks. Both are getting darker just from play. Once I change the strings and fret dr. the boards they'll both be far darker than the run of mill reissue.

I really think you owe it to yourself to try a TH model. They aren't as cost prohibitive as many think they are. :cheers2:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Mike J. likes this.
  15. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

Bought the 58 TH today.

CaptainT, scott1970, bungle and 8 others like this.
  16. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Congrats! :cheers2:

Mike J. likes this.
  17. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

up here in Canada TH'S are as scarce as hen's teeth, saw one in the summer ... kept thinking about it and it was sold ... six months later saw another and that was it, this one wasn't getting away... I love it, no regrets

Curious George and Mike J. like this.
  18. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Congratulations! That 58 sounds nice for sure! Great playing too!

Never payed more than a few cents an hr by the time I own most guitars for a while... way better buy for me than clothes cars and all the disposable crap people buy! Sounds like you put some hrs in too probably worth it for sure!

The 59 sounded really good too but imo the strings sounded much fresher than the 58, and the 58 had a really sweet full sound. I bet she'll sing with some good fresh strings and a some play time!

Mike J. likes this.
  19. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

Thanks! You are right, both guitars sound fantastic. Actually, the 58 was out of financial reach, but as it was one of the last available 58THs in Germany, I convinced the owner to give it to me for the price of the 59. I also asked to set it up properly so that I could compare both guitars better. With a fresh set up it sounded much opener and direct than the 59. Not better, but more the way I wish an LP to sound like. Have played her yesterday for 2h in a row and the sound is so rich and full that I had to check twice if I coincidentally raised my amp‘s volume. Some people here mentioned the brighter fretboard wood - well I’ve oiled it and it feels awesome. Of course it’s not super dark, but the mixture of the woods on this guitar couldn’t be any better, so it’s super fine the way it is. So many new riffs and ideas were flowing out of that guitar that for me, being a semi pro who depends on a man-instrument dialogue, it unleashed lots of creative value.

KBMelb, rykus and mfolet like this.
  20. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

Here's a video I've recorded today. Professionally miked and filmed...finally :)