First Build. Need Input!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tonyguitar1989, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Tonyguitar1989

Tonyguitar1989 Junior Member

Hello all,

Quick backstory, I have played for years and wanted to get into the building side of guitars. Jumped in with both feet and bought instructions on how to build a Les Paul. Realized I am in over my head and decided to buy a guitar off Ebay half built to see a physical example of how they are built but still get to do some of it myself. Attached are pics of the guitar bought off Ebay.[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

My issue is the specs for my build (bought offline) are different than the dimensions of the half-built guitar i bought off Ebay (in hindsight I should have expected this). The body dimensions are very similar, as well as the nob cavities are accurate. The issue I have run into is the pickup cavities (on the physical guitar) are higher up the guitar than the plans show.

Will the difference in spacing between the pickup cavities and the bridge/tailpeice on the actual guitar verses the plans cause a problem with the rest of the build? So on the guitar I finish, the bridge/tailpeice will be in the correct spot but the pickup cavities will be higher up the body.

Thanks!

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Whats with that huge gouge in the neck tenon? That looks pretty funky. I'd send that thing back.

mux164 likes this.
  3. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Looks like that's how they do the tenon to make it easy to CNC. It is done that way so they don't have to cut shoulders like an LP Standard. It's more like a JR. I'd like to see the other side. It maybe tapered like a junior on one side??

Pick up spacing may not be an issue. You have to figure out the scale length. Your drawings could have a different scale length for which the kit was designed. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it. That is your scale length. Dry fit the neck and measure from the 12th fret that same distance you measured and mark a line on the body of the guitar. PUP spacing isn't that important. Generally the neck pup is close the the end of the neck, and the bridge pup is close to the bridge. The bridge location is the important measurement and needs to be exact.

Regards Peter.

Tonyguitar1989 likes this.
  4. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

Yeah, my lord, that router gouge is nasty! How could they send that out??

5. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

That is on purpose. If they route it with a radius corner, they would have to chisel the corner out. CNC kits are done this way so the neck fits into a square corner.

Regards Peter.

bilbarstow likes this.
  6. Tonyguitar1989

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful. I will try your suggestions and get back to you with results. Thank you all again!

7. Tonyguitar1989

Hello All,

Back again for more advice! So I have taken the above advice and I definitely appreciate it! I have gotten my bridge and tailpiece and marked out the spots on the body according to the plans. On the stew-mac website it suggests to be as accurate as possible but + or - .030" or (less than half a 16th). Now, I understand in a perfect world perfect measurements and placement would be ideal but if I am 1/16" off will it really make that much of a difference? I am aware of what not being centered on the body/neck will do to the strings falling off the sides of the fretboard, but if i am a 16th off up or down the body will that mess with something?

Thank you all again, i appreciate it!!!

8. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Do not go by the plans. You have a guitar that is already built. Why would you go by the plans for a different guitar. Dry fit your neck and draw lines along the edge of the fret board along the body. Make sure the pups are pretty much centered on those lines. Next measure the approximate location of the bridge and make sure the bridge pup route isn't too close. Then if those are all good, glue in the neck. Then mount the tailpiece centered on the actual lines from the edges of neck. Once that is done put on tuners and string up and put the bridge underneath and set the location of the bridge based on intonation. You can also place pups in and get the strings going over the pole pieces and centered nicely on the neck. Then you can drill for bridge studs.

Cheers Peter.

9. w666

w666 Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017