First Attempt at Recording an Original

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by DotStudio, Oct 10, 2016.

1. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Like the title says, this is my first shot at an original. Vocals need some work, needs some drums, and a last verse would be nice, but I think it sounds okay for my first attempt. Thanks for listening if you would be so kind :wave:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33vTPINdUIgeWp4Wm5hRmdKbE0/view?usp=drivesdk

2. DotStudio

I'm taking your deafening silence as a sign that you're all blown away by my recording prowess.

Finished it up...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33vTPINdUIgQzZXU2VJbkNGdXc/view?usp=drivesdk

My drumming skills lay somewhere between a toddler and Meg White. I also don't own a bass, so just imagine your own as you listen along!

Lessons learned...

Don't base an entire track on a quickly thrown together riff using one take with obvious timing issues.

Record each part without switching to other parts. Fiddling with the knobs screwed up the levels when I would come back to record something else.

Oh well, it was a fun learning experience.

3. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Senior Member

I can't get it to load.

4. DotStudio

It's it not coming up at all? If the player comes up, you can push pause and let it load a little bit, then push play again. (it needs to buffer)

Thanks for the attempt at least!

5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Please upload your file to www.box.com
    Then you can share the link easily. The way it is now it wants everyone to download your file.

6. Vegetable

Vegetable Senior Member

Sorry mate, says there is a problem. I'll be happy to listen once it's fixed :)

7. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥

DotStudio - I just saw this for the first time. I had to download it to my PC and then scan it for virii, because thta Google Drive player's not working.

This is only an opinion:

I like your guitar tones and playing for this piece. You would do well to get some drums, bass and some keys in there. The recording quality's good. The song is in the wrong key for your voice. You need to get your voice up higher so you can squeeze some soul into it. You're doing it in F# - I would recommend trying it in A or even B unless it's too high for you to sing. Keep up the great work. :yesway:

8. judson

judson Senior Member

link dont work...no music

9. DotStudio