firehawk

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I've come across a line 6 firehawk at a reasonable price. I've wanted to dip my toe in the modelling, mainly for my church gig. the 6505 isn't exactly clean enough for what I ideally want, so the firehawk would be mainly used for clean or maybe a light OD, plus comp,delay,chorus,reverb (I don't want to lug my pedalboard AND the firehawk) the idea is that the firehawk would go direct to the board (like my amp does currently).

ability to tweak via bluetooth is a great feature for me, personally... but it doesn't matter if the tone sucks... what say you? am I going to be disappointed?

2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I have a Firehawk 1500. It sounds great, but the Bluetooth will drive you crazy. It's a clunky set-up and mine disconnects/reconnects by itself every so often. Do your work setting up tones at home, because making major adjustments at a gig is a PITA.

kevinpaul likes this.
  3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I had the Firehawk before the Helix. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to bump up to the Helix. The sounds are pretty great, but like Rocco said - the Bluetooth is ANNOYING and inconsistent.

4. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I wish they'd put the Helix brain into the 1500 cab... I'd buy one for sure.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, I've heard about the bluetooth.. supposedly, the newer firmware fixes some of those woes... but I'm more of a set it up at home, then not mess with it when out... so I'm less worried about that... to me having to hook up to the PC every time I want to edit is more of a pain in the ass... that's why I was looking at the firehawk over the hd500(or X)

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

That's cool then. Yeah the FH sounds really good. I have often thought about grabbing another for the fun of it, but always stop myself because the Helix is killer.

Rhust likes this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

oh, if you got the helix, I wouldn't...

I'm thinking firehawk now and see how I like it... and then save my pennies... if the firehawk makes me happy, I'll sell all my other shit and get a helix, kemper or axe... I would love to tell the wife that I don't ever need another amp or pedal... but maybe that's dreaming :)

8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

That's what I did. I GREATLY enjoyed the FH, but found myself wanting MORE, lol. There are some models in the FH that Helix doesn't have. I particularly enjoyed the Gretsch amp model. It was VERY cool for my country/rock side project. I miss that model, lol....

I'll tell you, I thought it would be a dream too - but then it became reality. I really did sell all my amps. I kept one. Plugged in a couple weeks back and went straight back to the Helix!!

9. Rocco Crocco

Then i think you will love it.

10. Rocco Crocco

I think the Firehawk is 98% of the Helix in terms of sound. Some models in FH sound better to me (Fender Blackface in FH is amazing). Having snapshots, and the fact that you can assign multiple functions to a single footswitch is really the only reason I prefer the Helix. If the Firehawk could do that and fix the connectivity issues they'd sell a million of them.

mmd likes this.
  11. The General

The General Senior Member

I recently got the Firehawk with the intent of replacing my ginormous gig rig with something smaller, lighter, and more portable. Overall, it's a great unit to test the modeling waters. Here's what I found:
    • Bluetooth is easy and a huge PITA at the same time. Tough to adjust much on the fly during a gig, but easy to learn and use at home.
    • The tones you can get are very good and wide ranging. I was able to get awesome sounds thru headphones very easy. After that, I started to struggle a bit. Those great headphone tones didn't transfer as well as I'd like to direct into a PA system at rehearsal volumes (louder than bedroom). I was able to tinker and adjust to get better tones at rehearsal but rest of band wasn't happy with me taking so much time. Then, had the same problem going from rehearsal volume to gig volume (not the same for us, unfortunately). More adjustments needed, which is not something you want to be doing during gigs.
    • Still learning, so maybe there is a way to globally adjust all the patches for the room/situation but I haven't figured it out yet. I was having to adjust each of my patches individually for each room we played in, which was slow and took me from many presets back to using 2-3 clean and 2-3 dirty for each gig. Over time I may get this worked out, but it isn't as easy as I had hoped.
    • You will need a very good speaker. Our monitors are "meh" and the other guitarist doesn't like to have the instruments very loud in them, so I went out and bought a powered speaker in order to hear myself on stage. There went my dream of carrying only the lightweight FH to gigs. And it also added cables and cords. I didn't spend big bucks on FRFR, so I could never really tell if tones were good or bad.
    • It helps if you have a good ear for tone and a solid understanding of sound equipment. I don't have either. When you increase volume and the tone gets trebly or fizzy, or turn down and have too much low end, you need to be able to know what's causing it and how to adjust it. Is it in the EQ? Do I adjust amp settings? Adjust pedal settings? I watched tons of videos, and some of these guys just KNOW exactly the knobs to turn to get what they want. I don't have that gift, so for me it's lots of experimentation.
    • There are LOTS of adjustments that you can play with. It can get overwhelming.
    • Lots of banks available for presets, but cycling thru during gigs can be tough with the short time between songs. The drummer would be counting down and I was still trying to go from patch 2C to patch 16A. I started to order my patches to the set list which helped, but was more work.
    At home, I love this thing. So many cool tones just right there for you to play with. I get to play with amps that I would never be able to buy. So much fun and never get bored. For gigs, I'm not there yet. I've gone back to cab, amp and pedals for now. It's just easier for me to adjust. I don't have have as many tones available, but I noticed I was only using about 5 or 6 with the FH anyway so not a huge deal. I continue to play with it, and may get it right one day.

I would definitely encourage someone to try it, especially considering used units are not very expensive.

Good luck.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

for speakers at home, I'm planning on borrowing one of the monitors from church, that way it is exactly the same... tone wise anyway.

I really think for me it will be a great rig... I'm trying to run clean now, and my amp isn't clean enough... so from being able to go use it as a clean amp, plus delay, reverb chorus and drive is really all I need most of the time... I could seriously have 4 patches for church, and maybe 8 for home, and be fine... that leaves 100+ to just play with :)

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool. Yeah, I found you could create really sweet clean and semi-dirty tones on the FH. Being a church player also (on top of the band I am always talking about) you really can't go wrong with the FH or the Helix....well any modeler, really!!

Rhust likes this.
  14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, tbh, pretty much any generic tone will work after you layer enough chorus, delay and reverb on it ;)

but I'm also thinking big picture... if this does the trick for me, it could spell the end of my tube amp days.

mmd likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA, yep!

16. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

has anyone done a comparison of the amplifire 12 vs the helix/firehawk/ax8? it seems to be priced in between, making it very tempting the demos I've seen sound good, too... on par with the fractal or helix, but it's damn near impossible to know from youTube...