firehawk vs amplifire

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ok, I'm really been soul searching on trying modelling... it's hard to give up the tube-amp crack

sorry for the wall of text...
    TL;DR version: does the amplifire sound as good and it is it easy to use? compared to the firehawk? either one updates? third party updates/add-ins? with either one I might still want to add a pedal or 2 if needed.. like a muff into the clean channel, for example... do either of them take pedals like a real amp would?

the full version:
    I even thought about going all-in... selling 2 amps, and a couple guitars to get a ax8 or helix... but first off, I don't want to sell a bunch of stuff to fund a purchase I'm not 100% on anyway... second, I already decided against the helix for one reason only: future updates... line 6 has a history of no longer adding amps/updates to products after a year or 2, which is fine for a $200 pedal... it is what it is, and that's all that it will ever be... for something that is meant to be a full rig replacement, it needs to have a lifespan... if I'm dropping a grand and selling a guitar, etc.. I better not feel jipped in a year.

so, here's the question, and I'd love to hear from someone who has both a firehawk and an amplifire or amplifire12... which one?

I don't need a million rigs/tones... I need a
    1) good light crunch tone (ac/dc, classic rock, or punkish... something like a pushed plexi/JTM45, maybe) ,
    2) a super clean (jc120 or fender blackface),
    3) a heavy crunch, like early metallica, classic metal tone, hot rodded JCM800 or something pushed with an OD pedal as needed, and
    4) a stoner/sabbath doom sound...
    everything else is just gravy... I don't use a ton of effects, tiny bit of amp reverb, delay and chorus occasionally... add a wah when I want to play voodoo child or man in the box... that's it.

honestly, my 6505MH does everything except the clean well enough.. but there's no way to make it cleaner and keep the other 3 sounds. I've tried. so that means either another amp, that could do it all in a small wattage, portable head with either a DI out or a cab clone or similar.

or I could keep my 6505 and get a small modeller that does it all 'good enough'

the fire hawk was the first one that really made me consider this, because for the first time, I could use my tablet, that I always keep with me anyway, and don't have to hook it up to my PC or a dedicated laptop to edit...
    the price is right, and it seems robust enough.. but no updates, and no hopes for additions later... plus the few line 6 products I've tried in the past sounded like shit... but those were red beans and lower-end HD series (pre-HD500X)... and youtube doesn't make these sound a WHOLE lot better... but that's not fair either

then I saw some demos for the atomic amplifire.. I hadn't heard of this (or if I have, I forgot)
    it's a little more expensive, and a lot less known... but add a midi to it, or upgrade to the 12 (for about the price of adding the midi) and you are there... the tones seem pretty good (again, on you tube) but it is a little more expensive, and updates/etc are an unknown... but it seems like there may be 3rd party support too?
    also, no expression pedal? at all? or can that be added to the midi? that's not as big a deal, because it can take a wah/ volume pedal and integrate onto a pedal board...
    my apprehension about the amplifire, is not available locally, so you can't try it first... unknown future, and the interface looks over complicated...

that's another thing... I've had a few modelling things in the past... and I feel like I was spending all my time jacking with presets and tweaking instead of playing... I would love something simple..

2. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

apologies, for somereason this double posted. please delete if possible

3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

apologies, for somereason this double posted. please delete if possible