firehawk vs amplifire

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 15, 2017.

1. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Rhust, PM sent.

Rhust likes this.
  2. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

You need to do what you need to do. AX8 is frustrating at first. If in doubt, use a preset. They're really quite good.

Good luck.

Rhust likes this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have no doubt the Helix (either one) or the Atomic are absolutely great.

But I do not think you will regret the AX8.

You can get one side of headphones plugged straight into the AX8 output. I plug into my Bad Monkey (9v adapter plugged in, pedal not engaged). You still only get sound in one ear, but it souds f**king amazing. :wow:

A Behringer headphone amp is cheap and will do the trick.

A pair of Presonus Eris 4.5 ($199 for the pair before discount) will kill two birds with one stone. Decent, cheap studio monitors for speakers, and they have a headphone line out.

The AX8 is a little bit of a PITA interface wise, but the stock models will blow your socks off. Once you figure out the interface or plug into a laptop with AXE edit, it is no big deal.

My biggest complaint has been with monitoring. I've had my AX8 since April, and it almost never pisses me off any more. :lol:

Keep in mind my experiences are all at bedroom levels. But with careful monitoring choices, I have no doubt the AX8 would sound great for gigging.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

so, now I've done it. I went to guitar center and demo'd the helix. it's the only one I could demo locally, but it was pretty damn impressive. my wife blessed the purchase even... but I still came home to mull it over and re-listen to demos...

then I ordered the helix LT and a pair of the Presonus monitors... I HATE going into temporary debt for a purchase, but this way, I'm done and I can even sell my 6505mh and 1x12 cab if I have to.

AmpedUp, AllTheSound and mdubya like this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Congrats, Rhust. :applause: :dude:

I doubt you will be sorry with the Helix LT. It sounds great and has more features than the AX8. It is really easy to build presets and to get good sounds.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    AmpedUp likes this.
  6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Ease of use and support was what finally swayed me... maybe everyone has been snowballed, but the general belief is that the helix platform will be around for several years at least... fingers crossed.

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  7. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Nice!

AmpedUp likes this.
  8. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Congrats. What a way to jump right in!