Firebird pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 74JMP, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:48 AM.

1. 74JMP

74JMP Senior Member

I have some 90's Gibson FB pups that are missing the U Clips that latch on to the legs of the bas plate, that the height screw screws into. Called Gibson they were useless, told me to call stewmac who were helpful but had none. any ideas

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

74JMP likes this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

4. 74JMP

74JMP Senior Member

Seriously, that's all you got to do is police message boards. FYI I'm trying to sell the pups and the fewer "issues" they easier they are to sell. Not everyone goes to the same boards, one never knows what a person has in their experience. Besides the nuts are .06 each from stewmac so I just can't order them alone. PS I will be making a post on my 74 LP here and the TGP ...so if you wish to complain again keep your eyes open for that cross post.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:40 PM
  5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

You're not likely to find a factory part. I believe Gibson briefly used those clips as a way to continue using the otherwise obsolete baseplates with the large holes in the feet (if I'm thinking of the same part you are describing).

What you want to do is get some thin sheet steel, cut/bend it into place, sand/polish the edges so you don't slice your fingers open, and drill/tap it for standard mounting screws (3-48 threads).

It's a cheap project that doesn't require much skill and few tools. Soldering on nuts can work, but it's a little tricky for a novice and doesn't preserve originality.

6. 74JMP

74JMP Senior Member

That's a pretty cool idea, got me thinking if I can find one of a close size, just tap it for the 3-48

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

The best solution would simply be to change baseplates. Those are currently available, don't cost much, and won't affect the p'up's aftermarket value.