Finished drum mic collection this weekend

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kfowler8, Oct 9, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

For about a year and a half, I've slowly been collecting different mics to mic my home drum kit. I was shooting for 7-8 mics total. This weekend I picked up the last mic I needed, a CAD M179. Most of the mics I picked up used on either eBay or local Craigslist.

Here's the setup:

Snare Top: SM57
    Snare Bottom: Modified MXL 990
    High Tom: CAD M179
    Medium Tom: CAD M179
    Low Tom: CAD M179
    Kick: Audix D6
    Overheads: (2) AKG c414 XLS matched pair

For the toms, I originally was shooting for three Sennheiser MD421s. But at $380 a pop new, It was going to take a while to get them. Then I saw this video on the CAD M179, as a possible replacement. I was really impressed. These are really great value mics. Really versatile since the have different polar patters, high pass filter, and a 20 db pad. I paid between $80 and $130 used depending on the condition and accessories that came with it.

I'm running all of these mics, except the SM57, into a Scarlett 18i20. The SM57 is running into a Warm Audio Tone Beast.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Very nice!!!! It's always a good feeling when you reach a point where you "complete" in collecting what need for a task.

kfowler8 likes this.
  3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Sure is. This drum kit has been a work in progress. The shells are a Yamaha Stage Custom from the 90s. It’s a decent kit that I picked up from a friend after he got a new kit. I bought some really cheap hardware to get started and have been steadily replacing it over the last couple of years. I still need a new ride and crashes.

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool. I never realized how expensive drum gear is until I started playing. I am about 20 years in now and FINALLY have everything the way I want it. Of course, guitar stuff ALWAYS comes first since drumming is a hobby and demoing activity.

I finally have my dream rig:

Gretsch Broadkaster shells - 14x22, 8x12, 14x14
    Gretsch Broadkaster snare - maple, die-cast hoops, 5x14
    Gibraltar "flat" stands
    Various Zildjian cymbals ranging from the 50's to the 70's (14"HH - 15"HH 14, 16, 17, 18, 19" Crashes, 20, 22" Rides)
    Paiste Formula 602 cymbal set from the late 50's (13"HH, 16, 18" Crashes, 20" Ride)
    Sabian splashes (10"-12")
    Wuhan Chinas (14"-16"-18")

It sits in the back room of our rehearsal space since my new house is too small for me to keep it set up. The kick had become a "cat condo", lol.

5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I had a drummer in an old band that had a 50s Gretsch drum set. It was awesome. Such a great sound.

I recently replaced my hi-hats with 14" Zildjian A Mastersounds. Huge difference. Replacing the hi-hat stand with a more robust one helped too.

mmd likes this.
  6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

My drummer and I argue about kits and gear, lol. He's a SERIOUS progressive player and is a total beast. He studied under Mark Zonder for a while, and still occasionally does Skype lessons with him. He is ALL about modern gear. He likes my Gretsch but says it's not METAL\m/ - it's a country or jazz kit. He's a HUGE Pearl fan....he's got several kits, but his number one is a Pearl Masters MCX. He also has a reference series, but it only gets set up for serious recording.

I like OLD cymbals, he likes NEW cymbals and has all Sabian HH and AAX. He's also big into "effect" cymbals, like stax and stuff with holes in it. He still uses steel or aluminum snare drums. I like brass and wood. He is all about heavy duty double braced hardware, and uses all DW 9000 series hardware. I like the old school flat-base stands.

I use a nylon strap bass pedal, he uses double pedals with heavy chains....

It's funny that there is such a difference. I never really knew how in depth drum stuff got. The ONLY thing we agree on is heads and die-cast hoops. We both use the Evans 360 heads. Shoot, I even use a coated G2 on the BOTTOM of my snare. he thinks I am nuts, but I LOVE the drier sound it gives.

We did a shoot out one day and his gear was a lot crisper than mine and cut REALLY well. My gear was a little more laid back and "vibey" - it blends into a mix, whereas his SLICES through the mix. We took turns on each others kits, and I was SOOOOOO loud playing his, lol. I was actually "scared" when hitting the aluminum snare. It cracks like gun!!! He couldn't get comfortable on my kit, he kept saying is was too muffled, lol.

We both play a 4-piece, so that was equal. I tend to use fewer cymbals, even though I do keep a 10" splash and a china. He's got three tiers of cymbals, lol.

At the end of the day it all works - it's just flavors!

Drumming also helped my guitar playing astronomically. My timing got better, my phrasing became more interesting. I learned to play off of accents better. I found my skills of being able to play "between the beats" improve.....