Finish/Sanding Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by notoperational, Mar 6, 2008.

1. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

So, I REALLY want to get a Fender Telecaster 72' Deluxe Re-Issue.

But, the problem is... The finish I would really like to own isn't an option with the Re-Issue. But, the good thing is its just bare wood.

So theoretically, couldn't I just get any color and have it sanded to look like this? Probably get a clear coat too, or would that be a bad idea?

If there isn't a good way to do this, I guess I'll just get a Walnut one.

[​IMG]

2. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

I don't remember, but don't those tele deluxes have a tummy contour like a strat. Any way, with the large roundovers and curves on those guitars, you dont really want to sand the finish off, but strip it. This is compounded by the fact that I think they are MIJ, and have poly about as thick as a dime on them. I stripped by sanding a CIJ strat once and it was pure hell. But once you get down to the wood, you are still going to have to finish the body in clear.

3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Get this little gem to do it.....she LOVES sanding!

[​IMG]

She even dresses up for the task!

4. mrkenny

mrkenny Senior Member

I'm a finisher by trade. The poly finishes are tough to get off. I've discovered that making a tray out of alumimium foil works good. Use the heavy gauge foil. Put two pieces of foil face to face, bend one edge over several times to make a leakless seam. Open the two sections and you have a larger piece. Raise the entire outside edge a couple of inches. Fill this "tray" with finish remover (semi-paste) and make a top for the tray to prevent evaporation. Make sure the body is covered with remover. Once it's sealed let things set over night and in the morning the finish will be soft enough to remove. After the air hits the body it will reharden a bit so you have to work with purpose, it may take several times to get completely stripped. Use lacquer thinner to wash off the soft finish, do not use water as this will raise the grain. Make sure not to scrape to hard, it will mark the wood, be gentle. Let the remover do all the work.

5. notoperational

Man, that sounds like it wouldn't be too terribly hard to do. I am just worried that if I have it refinished it'll somehow mess up the tonal qualities of the guitar. It's probably unlikely, but I want to make sure before I would do it.

BCRGreg, you have a PM. If anybody can hook it up and do it right, I bet you can.

6. notoperational

The real question... Is what is going to money? Building one from a bare body, or getting one and doing the finish?

7. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

If anything it will improve it. Any time I have stripped off a poly finish it opened up in tone and became acousticly louder as well.

8. notoperational

Thats awesome, I forget how think a poly finish probably is.