Finish Question...Black Lacquer over sanded Nitro?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by renegade87, May 29, 2017.

1. renegade87

renegade87 Junior Member

Hi, so I'm modding my black 06 Epi Korina Explorer. Double battery box to support the EMG Hetfield Humbuckers and new Afterburner 20dB booster. And, I thought while I was at it, I'd ditch the stopbar and throw on a gold Maestro Vibrato to match all the rest of my new gold hardware. Let's leave the Maestro comments for another day okay.

Anyways, I pulled the stopbar tailpiece bushings without incident or fuss (the Stewmac bushing puller is great and a worthwhile purchase if you can justify it). I filled the holes with glued in 7/16" hardwood dowel pins cut just below the surface. Topped it off with black colortone grain filler, and as that wasn't hard/flat enough, I coated over it with wood putty. Sanded to 1500 grit (incrementally from 400...). Now I've put on 2 coats of the black colortone lacquer with the touchup pens. Sanding in between coats...

My question is, if I wanted to just paint over the sanded Nitro finish (with the black colortone aerosol lacquer) would that cause any problems with the overall finish? IE: blistering, peeling, cracking...

Thanks,
    Dave
    20160723_141459_HDR.jpg IMAG1365.jpg IMAG1388.jpg

caseychan likes this.
  2. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Dave,
    :welcome: to MLP.
    Do you mean you just want to lacquer the repaired area (plugs) or the whole top?
    Epi's are poly finished not lacquer, I don't think you should put lacquer over poly. Also black is one of the hardest colors to match.
    Hopefully some the experts will chime in and sort you out.
    Good luck,
    Alec

renegade87 likes this.
  3. renegade87

renegade87 Junior Member

Thanks Alec,

I have applied a couple of coats of lacquer to the repaired areas. Just wondering if it would be ok to spray the whole top with the black lacquer or stick to blending in the repair and then buffing out the nitro. Thanks.

P.S. I bought an Epi SG Les Paul Custom yesterday. No sideways though...
    My SG Custom.jpg

4. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

If you already tried the lacquer over the poly and it stuck, then try the black. Worst that can happen is it won't take. It's easy enough to take the lacquer back to to poly.
    I'm curious to see how it works.

5. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

By the way I like black. P1010448 (2).JPG IMG_8504.JPG

renegade87 likes this.
  6. PierM

PierM Premium Member

You can Nitro on top of cured Poly without any problem since there are not solvents involved. Just give the Nitro some grip, sanding the poly with 300/400 grit. Should be fine. :)

Freddy G, 61LPSG and renegade87 like this.
  7. renegade87

renegade87 Junior Member

Thanks PierM. Now I just have to build up enough color over the repair to blend in with the balance of the body...

8. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Quote PierM: "You can Nitro on top of cured Poly without any problem since there are not solvents involved. Just give the Nitro some grip, sanding the poly with 300/400 grit. Should be fine. :)"
    Thanks PierM...I never had the nerve to try that.

9. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Doesn't Tokais/Burny/Edwards do that too (not sure which one.. I think they gave me 2nd hand memory when I was born. But pretty sure I saw that in the specs one time) ? Nitro over poly on some models, that is ?

10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It was done on fenders at one point....poly sealer and then nitro topcoats. As Pier said, it's no problem at all as long as the poly is not sanded too smooth.
    To the OP, where you might run into an issue however is feathering off the nitro on the edges of the top...