Finally NAD: Ceriatone King Kong 50! Gut Shots Added

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Pwrmac7600, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

So after having no power tubes for a few days to try out my new amp I finally picked some up. I am sure you all know the story by now from my other threads.
    So at long last here she is, My new Ceriatone King Kong 50 Hot Rodded Plexi style head!
    I haven't really dug in to start tweaking all the settings and find my tone yet, but from the quick playing around that I did, HOLY HELL this thing is a tonal MONSTER!!!
    Nik is sending me out a new Ceriatone logo to add back to the amp. Apparently this was ordered as a fully working chassis by Bob from Sourmash, and then installed into one of his head cabinets. I also ordered up some Marshall Style knobs as well, but now that I actually have the amp, I think I ordered the wrong ones. I ordered push on knobs, which I am not sure will work on solid shaft pots. I could be wrong though?.?.?

Preparing for a quick bias.
    [​IMG]

Bias complete and reassembled. and yes, if you can read it, it actually has a "pvssy trimmer" knob! Nick says if you're to much of a girl and can't handle that amount of gain this puts out, you can always dial it back with the "pvssy trimmer"!:laugh2: Haven't really had a chance to trim any pvssy yet though.
    [​IMG]

Added to the ever growing stack of amps.
    [​IMG]

Controls layout
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gut Shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I finally realized my wife played with the white balance setting on the camera....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And before someone says something, NO it is not resting on the tubes! It is resting on the transformer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Killer, killer!!

1 person likes this.
  3. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Van Nuys! Van Nuys, indeed :)

1 person likes this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Nice job brother.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shredfever

Shredfever Senior Member

Congrats man glad you dig it.....now, clips or it didn't happen! :dude:

1 person likes this.
  6. Pwrmac7600

Once I get it all dialed in I'll do some clips. I need to get used to the different modes so I can find the Ines that work best for the tone I am after.

2 people like this.
  7. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

We definitely need to hear a clip of this bad boy. HNGD! :dude:

1 person likes this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

King Kong,Indeed!! Happy New Amp Day,man! Cant wait to hear the clips.....

1 person likes this.
  9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Very nice! I have a CeriaTone 18 watt and it sounds better than any Marshall.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jupa

Jupa Senior Member

Isn't this based more on the Cameron CCV than a Marshall style amp? Don't me wrong, I'm sure it sounds killer and I'd love to own one. Have any clips?!

1 person likes this.
  11. Pwrmac7600

I've heard that yes. I just know it sounds killer! The second channel is supposed to be the Cameron inspired channel. And channel 1 is plexi based. Each channel having fully Independent preamp sections.

12. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Hnad! It must of taken a pretty good ponk along the way to bend the tranny like that !? No other visible damage ?

2 people like this.
  13. Pwrmac7600

No thank god! No other damage at all. The transformer does weigh a ton though. This thing is by far the heaviest head I own. Even my 100watt boogie is lighter.

14. Pwrmac7600

Updated photos

15. Pwrmac7600

Well it's been a few weeks now with the new amp, and I have to admit, I haven't had any recording time on it. I haven't had a ton of play time on it either due to work. But the time I have had on it, including again this morning, I have to say I LOVE this amp.

I think I have pretty much dialed in my high gain tone, Although I have a lot of trouble deciding between the modern setting, and the 80's setting. Obviously the 80's setting is much more hot rodded 800 style, and the modern is more compressed high gain. each have their flavors that I love.

I am still working on the clean channel. I don't play clean much, so I am trying to decide if I want to dial it as a lower gain 800 type break up, or a plexi style break up.
    Changed out the knobs to Marshall style, which I like alot better.
    Now I just can't wait until next weekend when I get delivery of my Mesa Boogie/Celestion Vintage 30's and rewire my 4X12. Then I will do some recording.

16. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It looks great on the inside... Good luck with that..