Finally broke down....

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pwrmac7600, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

so I was tracking today and my current headphones which I have been using for a couple of years now were pinching the hell out of my head. I have been contemplating picking up some Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. Much different beast than my current headphone being that they are open back as opposed to my current headphones that are closed back. I have been reading up on these phones for more than a year, but wasn't ready to drop the coin, until today. Should have em by the weekend, so I'll report back and let you all know how they sound with the Axe FX. I have very high hopes!

2. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I have Sennheiser HD280s, and noticed a huge difference in sound and comfort from the crappy headphones I was using.

Now every time I wear "normal" headphones, I wish they were my 280s.

Rhust and Pwrmac7600 like this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

the 280s get a lot of love. a lot of people do prefer the sony MDRV7506 but it's just that a preference... I'm still using a pair of Behringer HPS3000, when they break, I'll probably buy a pair of sony's...

4. Pwrmac7600

I have ATM50x and the Sony mdr7506. The AT's are much better phones. Looking forward to hearing how a open back phone sounds, supposed to be much better for mixing on. And since I am unfortunately forced to be on phones the majority of the time, I want something that may work a little better for not only my axe, but also mixing.

Rhust likes this.
  5. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I don't know much about headphones, but have used Yamaha HP-1's forever it seems like, and justt recently picked up some Tascam TH-300X's. I think the Yamaha's sound better even as old as they are. May have to look into Sennheiser eventually.

6. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I tried a few different headphones in the music store and I ended up picking out the KRK KNS-8400's. I haven't got to try them with a Kemper yet, because life hates me and backordered it a month, but they make music sound amazing, and they're super comfortable.

Rhust likes this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

F that! walmart even has those in stock, under $100... looks like a great deal, grats!

8. Pwrmac7600

Well the HD600's came today. I just got home from work so I don't really have the time to try em out, but I did open them up. WOW are they packed nice. A nice tolex covered box with metal hinge and lined with foam cut to fit the headphones. I tried them on and holy hell if these aren't the most comfortable phones I have ever worn. When I get home from work tomorrow I will plug them in and try them out with protools and my axe fx.

saks and AmpedUp like this.
  9. Pwrmac7600

So I tried the Sennheiser HD600's all day sunday through my daw both listening to playback, and running my Axe FX through my DAW and monitoring through the phones. They really are great sounding headphones. They don't feel isolated like closed back phones do. I don't feel like my head is in a ISO booth. Much more pleasant playing experience. The freq response seems pretty true. I thought my ATM50's sounded pretty flat, but now I can see they are slightly hyped in the low end a bit, and these seem to translate much better with my Adam A7x'2 in the lows. The highs are nice and crisp without being spikey or ever bearing.
    Again i can not say enough about how damn comfy these things are. So far, I would highly recommend these phones to anyone looking to drop a little more coin than typical on a set of great quality phones.

AmpedUp, Pop1655 and saks like this.
  10. saks

saks Premium Member

that's awesome! I've been looking at the 600s or 700s. The 800s are a 'little' steep for me.
    From some reading I think they may need a good amplifier? If so have you picked one out?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. Pwrmac7600

Well I have done a little reading up and alot of places I am reading say that the built in phone amp on my Digi003 should work just fine to drive them. I am going to continue using it for a little while and down the road I may get a Schiit Magni 2 headphone amp. Have read alot of great reviews on them, and they seem to be able to power pretty much everything.
    The HD 600's did sound quieter than the AT's through the same headphone amp on the Digi003, which is to be expected just from the impedance difference between the 2 headphones, but there is still a ton of room left on the HP volume that they still get plenty loud. It's ot as though they are starving for volume.

12. saks

saks Premium Member

That's good to hear. Just made the things more affordable. Although the Schiit Magni 2 is pretty inexpensive.

13. Pwrmac7600

Yes it is, which is why I was so surprised to see so many audiophile websites recommending it and praising it so highly.

saks likes this.
  14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Ok I'm playing a lot more now, and a lot of that is through headphones... is there any way that a set of reasonable (under $150) headphones can be used for setting live-level eq? Or at least in the ballpark?

Or is is just a matter of knowing "if it sounds like X through cans, I'll need to do Y to adjust for live volume"

15. saks

saks Premium Member

I have zero experience in a live situation but I started here:
    Explains the "Fletcher Munson" curves ( how our ears perceive sound at different volumes )
    Part 1:

Part 2: has a helix preset in the notes that has eq's you can drop in to show how headphone tone will sound at live volumes. I don't know how accurate it is but it was an interesting listen
    for me.

Hopefully someone with practical experience can jump in.

Edit: Add link to helix preset
    http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2301807/

Rhust likes this.
  16. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

That is awesome info! Thanks! I also ordered a set of hd280pro...hopefully good enough

17. saks

saks Premium Member

I hear nothing but good things about them. I have the HD380s which I like. ( never tried the 280s ).
    I have some DT770M 80ohm which I use the most because the sound is real close to my monitors. The only issue with the DTs is they don't have a replaceable cable.
    but i really like both.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT770M

I was looking at the 600/700 series as they are open back, a step or two up and I spend most of my time in my headphones.

18. Pwrmac7600

This was the main reason I decided to just go ahead and spend the money on the 600's, I spend the majority of my time using headphones, so i wanted to get something that was not only comfortable as hell, but something that would sound great, especially during long periods of use. I find all of the headphones I have ever owned, are very fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time. and I love the open back of the 600's, as I said previously, I don't feel like I am sitting in a ISO booth.

saks and Rhust like this.
  19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I'm using the headphones a lot, but I also have a toddler running around :) I didn't want to drop too much coin on something that he might grab hold of:)

I also seriously considered the akg 240, semi-open. But just wasn't sure