Finally..........Allman Brothers in a box!!?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Bluesky, Jan 21, 2018.

1. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Nothing compares to standing on the sides of the stage in 1970/71. Listening to Duane crank his 2-50 watters into cabs loaded with Celestions & Cerwin-Vega's. Dickey had the JBL's loaded when the Celestion's blew. It was near impossible to get Celestion's over here back in the day. Those Marshall's took a beating back then. Duane would have Joe Dan load his heads with Sylvannia 6CA7's as they lasted longer and he loved the tone.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. thehtm

thehtm Senior Member

Has anyone actually played one of these? Clips sound great and I love the idea... I have not seen any actual reviews from anyone who has actually used one. Thanks!

bulletproof and Bluesky like this.
  3. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

I'm hoping to get shipping info this week so I will certainly update this thread when it gets here with feedback on it!

bulletproof, thehtm and Bluesky like this.
  4. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

I'm still waiting for mine.........shouldn't be long .

bulletproof, Brewdude and thehtm like this.
  5. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Anxiously awaiting the reviews,y’all!!!

Bluesky likes this.
  6. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

Anxiously awaiting for something to review! :fingersx:

Brewdude, thehtm and bulletproof like this.
  7. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Same here! If @Bluesky is still waiting that means I'm even further behindo_O

bulletproof likes this.
  8. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

I got this response from the seller:

"Shipping this week. Today being a holiday did not help. We got in the oil filled caps we were waiting for from Europe last week and that delayed production. But all is good now."

Shouldn't be long.......:dude:

bulletproof, thehtm and Brewdude like this.
  9. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Mine is supposed to come this week.

bulletproof and Brewdude like this.
  10. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Demos Fellas, DEMOS!

And please cover the GAMUT!

I'll be watching and listening!

bulletproof and Brewdude like this.
  11. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

Hmmmmmm. I post some vids on FB. Don't think image shack supports videos. Any ideas?

bulletproof and KP11520 like this.
  12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

YouTube?

bulletproof likes this.
  13. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

I guess I can hijack my son's You Tube.....:dunno: in not really into social media

14. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Here another decent clip

bulletproof likes this.
  15. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Supposed to be here Thur.
    I'm not trying to copy Duane's tone exactly. But I prefer FAT tone.
    It will go against my Barber Direct Drive and MI Super Crunch Box through a
    Marshall JTM45 RI.
    I've tried every MIAB made and those 2 were keepers.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Where do you order these pedals? How long is the wait time and what's the cost?

17. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

I'm a massive late 60's/early 70s fan, to me the Music made in those years is not only good, or even the best, it's simply "the benchmark", everybody else is automatically compared to those bands, being The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie, The Who, Jethro Tull, Yes, The Allman Brothers Band, etc etc
    You get my drift; they wrote history and the more the smoke clears, the more it's clear that those cats are the ones left standing. Period.
    First of all please allow me to say that I'm in Luv with this pedal(!) and I think that Gear Mann Dude gave it justice, however all those 60s & 70s guys did was plug a guitar (Les Paul, SG, Strat, Tele,...) into an amp (Marshall, Hiwatt, Vox,...) crank it up and go, and I find it intriguing that now we go to extreme lengths (and amount of money) in order to capture sounds, or more appropriately Tones, that were gotten in very simple ways in the first place.
    Honestly, my 2 main guitars are extremely good and high quality (a Gibson Custom Shop '58 Reissue and a beautiful hand made Les Paul) I'm a professional musician so they have to be, and I also have a Mexican Strat which is surprisingly very good, and when I plug any of my tools into a great amp, standard off the shelf stuff not top of the line or boutique but just a good, solid Marshall or a Vox, all those tones are there!
    Of course, I might fine tune it with a pedal, I step on a OD for solos, occasional wah wah etc etc, but my gear is pretty simple and basic, same as those guys's...
    It's the same old story, Jimi cut his recordings with whatever guitar was available, generally CBS era Fender's, and now we have pickups and gear that "will give you that elusive Hendrix sound!".
    Again, I love this pedal and I think that the guy who designed it did an awesome job and more power & success to him as he obviously deserves it, but I find this whole thing quite intriguing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  18. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Got my shipping info! Lets hope it makes it here this weekend:dude:

bulletproof and Bluesky like this.
  19. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

EBay and Reverb. He said he also makes other quality "Tone" devices. Pickups, etc. He's got my attention for sure.

bulletproof likes this.
  20. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Mine came in today and I have a few minutes of playing time and really like it so far...

Initial impression is that it seems like a really quality piece of kit, knobs have some great weight/resistance/whatever to them so it feels nice and precise when turning. The powder coating and graphics also look really classy and seem like they will hold up very well with age. I haven't cracked it open yet to see the guts though Im sure I will soon.

Anyway, the sound is pretty much as advertised, this is probably the most 'creamy' sounding distortion pedal I've ever had. Not going to have crazy high amounts of distortion, in fact I found aside from the way other knobs interact I found the gain knob doesn't change much above the midway point, but it nails the 'clean distortion' I think of with the Allman Brothers. All the controls seem to really interact with each other so the tone and voice controls took me a bit to get used to and dial in how I would prefer. The thing that stood out the most is it has an amazing squeal to it when the gain is up and you dig in hard with the pick, very cool sound and probably my favorite part.

So far I don't love the other sounds from the mini toggle switch, or I should say I prefer the standard middle position, they both seem a little dark even when playing with the tone and voice controls at full tilt, but I'm positive its just a matter of getting used to it a bit. I'm using some clean Fenders and Dumble profiles on my Kemper so I think it will just be finding what works best with it as they sound great in the demos.

Other than that with a Strat it nails Hendrix's BBC version of Hey Joe, that gnarly distorted Marshall sound. I've tried a few other humbucker sets in various guitars and they all work a little differently, but I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.