figuring stuff out by ear

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Mr Insane, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I wanted to learn Money by Pink Floyd, really didn't listen to them much until lately.

Instead of tabs or youtube videos, I figured I'd try to learn it on my own. Using YouTube's slow down feature at 3/4ths speed, I'm slowly learning it. I'm discovering that learning it this way, is making everything so much more accurate.

It has taken me 12 years of playing, but I'm finally learning to trust my ears.

JonR likes this.
  2. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

Playing along with L.P. 's and 8-Tracks is the way we learned back in the day... lol
    Most of the stuff I learned is by ear.

3. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Member

My dad always used to say The Beatles taught him to play. In just this way. I still find it the best way to learn, but then again I never go note-for-note - just enough to get the 'feel' and then fudge it :)

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Way back, I tried to learn "Slow Ride" by listening to the record. Just couldn't make it sound right. It wasn't until much later that I realized that Rod Price was using a SLIDE. Anyway, progress is sometimes a good thing...

5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Difficult at first. In the beginning, I was unaware of how different techniques created the nuances that are so much more the signature than just the note. It definitely helps develop those skills better than anything else IME.

I would recommend that every student of guitar be a slave to learning as much as possible by ear. TABs are usually horrendous anyway.

parts likes this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

You'll definitely learn intervals.

parts likes this.
  7. JonR

JonR Senior Member

All music is learned by ear.

Tab, like notation, is just some information that may (or may not) help.

8. meatball

meatball Senior Member

Heck , Back in the 70’s , all we had was our ear , others showing us stuff or putting the needle on the vinyl record and tuning your guitar to the record to learn tunes ,, It made me a better Musial actually ,,,,

parts likes this.
  9. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Harder, but definitely worth the effort to use your ears. Fortunately today we have also sorts of technology to help. While some see the slow down software etc as a crutch, it's a way to more easily develop your ear. As you get better at it, it gets easier and easier.

A tool I really like is Transcribe!. It allows you to slow down audio and video and very importantly, easily loop over sections. If needed you can work on just a single note. If you get stuck, it has a note guess feature which can be useful.

There are web sites you can copy a youtube link to to download the video. This is handy to then use with Transcribe! This of course isn't so useful for instructional videos, but is for performance videos.

I'm also a fan of making use of tabs after I've done my all with my ears. Usually I can tell something is wrong, but just can't figure out what. This is where a quality tab can help.

Use your ears as much as possible, use other tools, tabs and sheet music as needed. Then keep doing that and you will get better.

10. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I've seen Transcribe! in action. Looked really impressive, but I get by with Audacity - for free. No note guess feature, but it can do an awful lot. Records and edits audio very well.

I can no longer rely on my ear as tinnitus has ruined much of that. I was one who learned an awful lot by ear in the 70s as some have noted.

11. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I use tab and YouTube videos for reference. In the end, it’s up to my hands and ears..

Thumpalumpacus likes this.