Figuring out pickups on 2014 Traditional

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ramaglia375, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

I`m currently working on getting to know a new to me guitar.
    It's a 2014 Traditional w/ factory 59 tribute humbuckers. I am directly comparing it to both a 2016 Traditional (57 & 57+) and 2016 Standard (BB pros).
    In a nutshell, there is a significant difference between the neck and bridge pu`s on it. The neck is very full with the bridge sounding much thinner. Neither the Trad or St have such a tone difference between their pu`s. Yes they vary tonally but not to this degree.
    I am currently working on height adjustments now.

It's not that it sounds bad, it just sounds different and I`m not sure if I like it or not.

Just looking for anyone's experience or thoughts on it

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Different pickups will need a wholly new approach in terms of how you deal with them. Applying the method you use for one set to make them right could be THE worst thing with another.
    Then each guitar is in itself an individual. You might need to employ vastly different methods to get good tone with seemingly identical spec guitars.

CheopisIV and ramaglia375 like this.
  3. ramaglia375

Well put and confirms what I have been thinking. Thank you

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  4. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Ramaglia375, hello again !

The issue you 'may' be having is that the 59 tributes you have in the guitar are the same output (give or take) in each position. ie, its the same pickup in the bridge as in the neck, not wound separately.

If I remember rightly, the slug coil is wound hotter on these, which would result in that which you are hearing.

Anyway, your probably going to end up as I did, with the neck pup quite low near the ring, with the pole pieces raised (I couldn't get mine to move) & the bridge then dialled in to taste.

My top tone tip (which came from the gibson website) was to select the middle position - rhythm vol & tone on 7, treble vol & tone on 9 - this give you the cut of the bridge with the meat of the rhythm.

Hope this helps !

Jer and Angus Blackmore like this.
  5. ramaglia375

Ah hah! Hello again and thanks for replying...again lol
    That makes sense. Because so far the best position of the neck has been almost flush with the pu ring. I have also found it takes varying the volume by 3 between the two for a "comparable" usable tone that I like.

Well alright, alright - it sounds like I've been on the correct track

Thank you both for replying

6. Jer

Jer Member

I hope you have been able to find the sweet spot with your 59 tributes. I also have a 2014 trad. and it took a fair amount of height play to get them zeroed in perfectly. Both the neck and bridge are set perfectly for volume so switching between the two is fine. The tone that this guitar/pups has always brings a smile to my face. Awesome clean tones as well as kick ass hard rock tones. My guitar is stock. Original pots/caps etc... I would like to upgrade the hardware to the Creamtone conversion stuff as well as a new harness/50's wiring but I'm in no rush as it is a great sounding and playing guitar. Compared to my Custom shop Class 5, with historic specs/custom buckers, the Trad is louder and fuller in tone and does hard rock a little better. I thought the custom buckers sounded thin when I first tried them but they are a totally different pickup. I love them now and with the right amp settings they deliver a great vintage tone. But the 59 tributes, IMO, are fantastic. But as was said every guitar is unique and thus sounds different which is so cool. Anyways I hope you are enjoying your guitar and those pups. Take care man. :)