FGN-Guitars (FujiGen)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by paruwi, Sep 5, 2014.

1. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

:lol: I can still hear that noise too. It was so horrible. You are right... let's try to forget it :thumb:

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I recently put the Pegasus/Sentient set in the LC20 and ripped the gold covers out of the JB/59's. I was considering changing the screws from the black chrome that's already there to the faded gold ones in the JB/59's, but when I put the pickups in the covers, the black chrome screws look so badass with the gold that I'm keeping them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really loving these pickups. They did pretty much exactly what I was expecting them to do. The Pegasus has less upper mids than the JB and it has a more articulate low end that can be heard best when muting. The JB was more prone to sag in the low end by comparison which sometimes caused the notes to mush together a bit when tremolo picking. We're talking very minor nuances here and the results depend heavily on the way you tend to pick, due to it's touch sensitive nature. Part of what's causing the tightness is the slightly lower output. The JB is in the mid 16k's while the Pegasus is in the high 12k's. I know wire resistance only tells part of the story on a pickup's output, but the JB and Pegasus both use the same Alnico 5 bar magnet as one another, so the difference in output I'm hearing is definitely in the coils and the way they're wound.

Seriously, the note separation is crazy on these, and way better than the JB's in that respect. Notes bloom out on fat, open chords and the yummy harmonic artifacts are so clear and defined. Awesome pickup for modern metal that's really intricate and it heavily rewards great playing which I lack. [​IMG]

The Sentient is superb. Very articulate and bright like a Jazz which I love, but very marginally hotter and more modern. It's the perfect goldilocks zone between a Jazz and a 59 tonally, but slightly more Jazz leaning. Cleans up wonderfully and the attack really pops with alternate picking runs. Coil split tone is anemic though, but to be fair so's the Jazz's. In regular humbucker mode it's so warm, yet glassy and bright. The touch sensitivity makes it highly expressive and dynamic. It's got to be one of my new favorite neck pickups ever. And I can recommend it to almost anyone if they want something highly versatile.

God this is a killer guitar. It plays so fluidly and fast with no fret buzz whatsoever and the fret ends are like butter. The finish is absolutely immaculate. The ebony board is like silk. Picture in your mind PRS making a Gibson Les Paul. Boom. That's the quality of this guitar.

I'd love to buy another FGN, but I recently bought a new car so my guitar and pedal acquisition tirade is on hiatus.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

lakeburst and T00DEEPBLUE like this.
  4. T00DEEPBLUE

I do like the Nazgul, but I really love the JB sound with an LP, it has a certain 80's roar that's reminiscent of power metal bands like Helloween. But the midrange bump can be a little overbearing in certain guitars, and the low end a bit saggy. It's an awesome pickup for your harder rock and 80's shred stuff but it doesn't fare so well when you require something that carries the low end when you're doing tight, rapid palm muting.

So basically I was looking for something in the wheelhouse of a JB that has the tightness of some of the more modern pickups like the Black Winter or the Nazgul. And that's where the Pegasus comes into its own. It's a JB that's more modern.

paruwi likes this.
  5. paruwi

FGN-Talk @ 8:10 :thumb:

lakeburst and currypowder like this.
  6. paruwi

7. T00DEEPBLUE

It seems like they heeded to my review of the LC20 on UG. I criticized that it would've been nice if their LP's came with coil splitting on each pickup as an optional extra, and it looks like they added that extra feature in. That's pretty cool.:thumb:

Now all they need to do is add an OHSC to sweeten the deal instead of a gig bag. :)

paruwi likes this.
  8. paruwi

The ones made for the JDM had it already - the ones for export (like yours) still don't have it

rednefceleb likes this.
  9. T00DEEPBLUE

I wonder why that feature would be omitted on the export models.

It isn't a big deal as anybody can add their own. but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

rednefceleb and paruwi like this.
  10. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

Seriously, being introduced to FGN, Edwards, and all the others MIJ builders has made my world. These are fine units. Wow.

paruwi likes this.
  11. rednefceleb

What's the cost of customs, how is it determined? I live in California, U.S.A. For instance I purchase an FGN costing me $1200.00 USD. Is it a percentage of purchase price? Also, I assume that I would pay tax to Japan. Then delivery consideration. This would be my first overseas purchase of a new guitar. Lastly, are there any differences if I bought a used unit from Digimart for instance? I have noticed that they do include delivery with some of their sales. Thanks.

12. rednefceleb

I can assume that buying a used FGN on my side of the pond has to be less cost. Joe Bonamassa has the greatest guitar collection. "Live At The Greek". Including Albert King's "Lucy" Gibson V lefty.

13. paruwi

endial, lakeburst and rednefceleb like this.
  14. rednefceleb

You will be forgiven in guitar heaven. Nice HSS model. If that is FGN #9, which is FGN #8? It's nice to be able to buy something you want when you want it. I was in that position once. Also funny that you say "I don't have to lie.......etc". I never thought of it before, but I suppose it is logical to assume that maybe some folks do stretch the truth a little about their guitars. I admit abject poverty, but do manage to have lots of fun stretching OLP's and Squier CV's into what seem to be pretty damn comfortable friends. Using lots of love can transcend a guitar into a dream. I AM going to get one of those Tak Motsumoto Epis though, after my goal of buying my life's final Les Paul MIJ. I used to have a Gibson Studio Standard DC in cherry s'brst w/24 frets and 490/498 pups. It was first year for that model. Chambered body, super long tenon. It was really fun to play that. Just a stop tail/bridge. Looked like a JR. w/humbuckings. Really good playing Gibsons and Fenders are just too much money anymore. MIJ all the way for my budget. Congrats..... (until #10! Later.)

paruwi likes this.
  15. rednefceleb

By the way, I just did my reading and see that a Flame is #8.

16. paruwi

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Pukiman and rednefceleb like this.
  17. rednefceleb

Of course, a black flame. I have seen so many s'brst singlcuts today that I lost my head. There are SO many great MIJ brands. It mostly comes back to FGN at the bottom line. To me that is highest quality @ best final price. I believe that FGN, in America, like that black one on Reverb right now for under a thousand, has to be best qual for the dollar...or Euro.

paruwi likes this.
  18. rednefceleb

Just out of curiosity: What amp do you play thru most?

19. paruwi

I'm mostly 'Blackhearted'....
    with a touch of Tech21, Vox and an older Roland Cube60

[​IMG]

20. paruwi

The Expert Odyssey (FGN #9) arrived today
    needless to say I am impressed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and with her sister, the Standard Odyssey