FGN-Guitars (FujiGen)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by paruwi, Sep 5, 2014.

1. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

:lol: I can still hear that noise too. It was so horrible. You are right... let's try to forget it :thumb:

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I recently put the Pegasus/Sentient set in the LC20 and ripped the gold covers out of the JB/59's. I was considering changing the screws from the black chrome that's already there to the faded gold ones in the JB/59's, but when I put the pickups in the covers, the black chrome screws look so badass with the gold that I'm keeping them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really loving these pickups. They did pretty much exactly what I was expecting them to do. The Pegasus has less upper mids than the JB and it has a more articulate low end that can be heard best when muting. The JB was more prone to sag in the low end by comparison which sometimes caused the notes to mush together a bit when tremolo picking. We're talking very minor nuances here and the results depend heavily on the way you tend to pick, due to it's touch sensitive nature. Part of what's causing the tightness is the slightly lower output. The JB is in the mid 16k's while the Pegasus is in the high 12k's. I know wire resistance only tells part of the story on a pickup's output, but the JB and Pegasus both use the same Alnico 5 bar magnet as one another, so the difference in output I'm hearing is definitely in the coils and the way they're wound.

Seriously, the note separation is crazy on these, and way better than the JB's in that respect. Notes bloom out on fat, open chords and the yummy harmonic artifacts are so clear and defined. Awesome pickup for modern metal that's really intricate and it heavily rewards great playing which I lack. [​IMG]

The Sentient is superb. Very articulate and bright like a Jazz which I love, but very marginally hotter and more modern. It's the perfect goldilocks zone between a Jazz and a 59 tonally, but slightly more Jazz leaning. Cleans up wonderfully and the attack really pops with alternate picking runs. Coil split tone is anemic though, but to be fair so's the Jazz's. In regular humbucker mode it's so warm, yet glassy and bright. The touch sensitivity makes it highly expressive and dynamic. It's got to be one of my new favorite neck pickups ever. And I can recommend it to almost anyone if they want something highly versatile.

God this is a killer guitar. It plays so fluidly and fast with no fret buzz whatsoever and the fret ends are like butter. The finish is absolutely immaculate. The ebony board is like silk. Picture in your mind PRS making a Gibson Les Paul. Boom. That's the quality of this guitar.

I'd love to buy another FGN, but I recently bought a new car so my guitar and pedal acquisition tirade is on hiatus.

Hector Arcadius, endial and paruwi like this.
  3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

T00DEEPBLUE likes this.
  4. T00DEEPBLUE

I do like the Nazgul, but I really love the JB sound with an LP, it has a certain 80's roar that's reminiscent of power metal bands like Helloween. But the midrange bump can be a little overbearing in certain guitars, and the low end a bit saggy. It's an awesome pickup for your harder rock and 80's shred stuff but it doesn't fare so well when you require something that carries the low end when you're doing tight, rapid palm muting.

So basically I was looking for something in the wheelhouse of a JB that has the tightness of some of the more modern pickups like the Black Winter or the Nazgul. And that's where the Pegasus comes into its own. It's a JB that's more modern.

paruwi likes this.
  5. paruwi

FGN-Talk @ 8:10 :thumb:

currypowder likes this.
  6. paruwi

7. T00DEEPBLUE

It seems like they heeded to my review of the LC20 on UG. I criticized that it would've been nice if their LP's came with coil splitting on each pickup as an optional extra, and it looks like they added that extra feature in. That's pretty cool.:thumb:

Now all they need to do is add an OHSC to sweeten the deal instead of a gig bag. :)

paruwi likes this.
  8. paruwi

The ones made for the JDM had it already - the ones for export (like yours) still don't have it

9. T00DEEPBLUE

I wonder why that feature would be omitted on the export models.

It isn't a big deal as anybody can add their own. but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

paruwi likes this.