Fett threads - merged (Now, I know I'm an old fart. I can't keep up.)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by fett, Feb 20, 2014.

1. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Not a miracle. My 24 year old daughter bought a small house last spring. She got a good contracting job after getting her degree 2 years ago, but continued to live like a college student. Contract ended, groomed dogs while looking for next job. Got new better job than the first, making a bit less than $60 k/yr and still living like a poor college student. That's a good solid income, but we're not talking 6 figure lawyer income. Saved enough for a down payment and additional new home buyer expenses. She was also realistic about what she wanted.

Everyone has their own story, and not everyone has the advantages her mother and I were able to provide, such as paying for college (we played no role in her mortgage qualification). And there are, of course, places that are ridiculously expensive, where I don't know how anyone other than a lottery winner can afford a home. But, the pieces can come together. Working hard in school and not blowing all your money from your first big-boy job on expensive toys goes a long way.

At this rate she'll retire before I do.

She's also willing to work on her own place. I told her up front, I'm not taking on the maintenance of her home. But I said I'd show her how to do things when needed. I also explained how most of us don't know what we're doing. We go to Home Depot, stare at the shelves and pick out what we think will work, and apply some common sense.

Her first solo project, she had a major feeder in her drip system spewing a lot of water. She dug it up, made the required three trips to HD required for any project, but she fixed it on her own.

She's also starting to learn you must pay tribute to the home improvement gods when you go to the store. Always buy those extra screws. If you do, you won't need them, if you don't buy them, you'll need them for sure.

2. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

I was supposed to close on a house today. Apprised below contract value, shocker. Everything is on hold unless the seller will come down to the appraised value. I'm super bummed. Not my call, mortgage company won't underwrite it.

3. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Single??
    Pfft.
    Doesn't even count.
    I'd have retired long ago, if I stayed single.

Caleb likes this.
  4. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I bought my first house in 2000. Only lost about 60k on it.

Caleb likes this.
  5. fett

fett Premium Member

This morning, I backed out of my driveway. I always do this very slowly. I have to look for cars. I backed out onto the street and put my van in Drive. Perfect. I didn't get 30 feet when a toddler walked right in front of me. I saw the kid and stopped. No harm. The child didn't get loose. Her father was preparing his vehicle to get the kid in the car seat. He took his eye off the kid for a few seconds . The child took off into the street. It could have been tragic. A better idea. Put the kid in the car while preparing the car seat.

rockstar232007 and mtgguitar like this.
  6. danohat

danohat Senior Member

One of my worst fears.

bungle likes this.
  7. bungle

bungle Senior Member

:shock: I'm with you on that Dano.. kitteh's seem to like to run out as well.

danohat likes this.
  8. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

pop the hood . and check the engine , for parts of the dog that he was playing with

9. Chester Drawers

Chester Drawers Senior Member

Very glad there was a happy ending.

Many years ago, just after I passed my test, I was driving home form work, I was passing a estate with large blocks of flats (apartments, y'all). Over the boundary wall came a football (soccer, Jeez) and it bounced in front of the van. I clearly remember thinking, "someones going to want that back". and started to brake.

Sure enough, from an alley came a kid of about 10 who ran straight out in front of me.

Mercifully, I stopped just in time.

Kid picked up the ball and ran back, oblivious to the 3 ton van that almost hit him

I don't drive that way very often these days, but when I do pass that spot, it's like it just happened, even after 30 years, still chills me.

10. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I usually think about this after I guzzle a 5th of Guckenheimer and go for a joy ride. Stupid kids better watch where they're walking.

11. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

This reads like the child did get loose.

12. fett

fett Premium Member

Something like this happened to me years ago. I was driving a Company pickup truck. I was at the stage of crossing the sidewalk to get on a very busy road. I forgot how many young kids were riding their bikes on the sidewalk. I saw them. The smart kids got off their bikes and walked them around the back of my truck. One kid was no so bright. He decided to go in front of my truck. I smacked him going less than 1MPH. He wasn't hurt.

13. fett

fett Premium Member

My "Oil" gig. Yikes!!!. I have told you guys about that. I am a person that takes nothing for granted. I low-ball any expectation. That way, anything higher is unexpected. However, I may have gotten Way Lucky. The Oil Guys are producing and selling the oil. There is a Glut of oil worldwide. I know the price of oil can rise to great heights and crash and burn in a heartbeat. The Game has changed. Apparently, in West Texas they can make money with oil at $48. I own a very small fraction of mineral rights. No land. Anyway, I was expecting a Royalty check for production in July. It should have been mailed in late Aug. I called the Oil Guys about not receiving a check. My account was "Suspended". It turned out to an address issue. I got that cleared up. I asked the person what the amount was. I expected to hear around 2 or 3 hundred bucks. The check will be over $1000. That's not a one time payment. Each month, I get a check as long as they produce and sell the oil with two wells. Here's where it gets into the Mind Blowing Stage. They will drill more wells as long as it pays them to do that. It is just Dumb Luck. Nothing more.