Fender's new Handwired 1964 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by scooter500, Aug 6, 2017.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

True, not an Amp in sight................& you guys probably can't spell Fender. :p :D

[​IMG]

:cheers2:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I prefer the Fender RI amps because electrons travel faster through PCB traces.

Thumpalumpacus and RAG7890 like this.
  3. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

Aren't the hand wired Marshall reissues (like the 18W Marshall) around that same price? If so' I'm not surprised at where Fender placed this one. If the new HW '64 DR reissue sounds great, it might be a good option for some of us, assuming the price doesn't keep you away.

Personally, if it sounds good to MY ears, that is good enough for me. I don't often sell my amps, so I don't care about vintage value.

In other words, it is wait and see for me...

...oh yeah - I also would need the $2500 and approval from my better half, so I guess I better enjoy my non-hand wired '65 DR reissue! :D

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Doesn't appear to be exactly a Black Face RI. For one it's the Custom line, which means changes to the circuit, like the '68 Custom DR,

"The '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb carries on Fender’s amplifier legacy with incredible vintage-style tones stemming from modified all-tube, hand-wired AB763 circuitry"

"and tremolo on both channels"

That is just from the article linked above.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    mdubya likes this.
  5. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

So, yes, vintage is a very good point with the possible exception of the Death Squad. Death Squad? Yes, you know them. They go by UPS or sometimes FedEx. From my experience they destroy things called amps! I just wish there was a reliable shipping service in this country instead of the Death Squad....

mdubya likes this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Have you tried a regular DRRI?

7. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

Holy smokes Rudi where'd you dig this up from..........can't say I've ever seen that......yikes, yep Fandah is the word in the South.

RAG7890 likes this.
  8. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Yes, tried a brand spanking new one from a really big name US company. At the time of ordering I made it clear the amp would have to be able to play clean... can always add dirt later. When it arrived I noted the usual box bruises. Once on the hiss and helicopter tremolo killed any inspiration. I called and their sales sent me a new tube to try, it helped a little with but I sent it back.

So the other Amp Death Squad delivered a Gibson GA42 from a store in Michigan swore was playing beautifully. The amp was dead on arrival.

That's why I'm interested in trying out a new 64 DRHW in person.

Thumpalumpacus, BlueCajun and mdubya like this.
  9. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Okay, got one on order... wait period is a couple of months... another review was posted on YouTube a few days ago, seemed very good as far as TV sound goes... hey now this is worth noting, at least one of the major online stores has special financing for the next 9 or 10 days... 48 months financing and no interest... at $50 a month it was impossible to say no!

10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

11. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

It seems like there is a desire for amp companies to make them like they used to, but when they try to do that the response is to buy the old one.

Rhust likes this.
  12. Marshall & Moonshine

When they’re priced near the same as the classics, you may as well go vintage. It’s hard to say what these will do in value. We already know, with the old ones.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  13. sonar

sonar Senior Member

The 64' Handwired, with reports that there is some wiggle room to bargain, is about $800 to $1k cheaper than the going rate for a clean original.

Reports also state that the 64's sound excellent. I still need to try one myself, but what I'm reading from people I trust, the 64' brings the goods. One forumite over at LPF that I really respect claimed it to be indistinguishable from his vintage piece when both amps were compared. The usual comment about a new speaker sounding a bit harsher (to be expected) but that's it.

If you can get a 64' home from a retailer for less than advertised... and they compare favorably to the originals... that's a pretty good deal.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Just because they slap the old name on the front doesn't necessarily mean they are made just like the old ones were.

Some materials cannot even be duplicated.

There are some great sounding amps being made, but not many in the mass produced segment, imho.

15. Marshall & Moonshine

I hear they’re using NOS solder....

mdubya likes this.
  16. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Most of the old ones will need a tune-up to some extent. But this is certainly the most versatile of the original Blackface amps.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  17. Marshall & Moonshine

I’ve said before and I mean it...
    It’s my dream fender.
    I’m gonna build one as a head with a 2x10 open cab.

18. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Just by looking at the gut shot you can point out several things that are different from the original. And Fender isn't hiding from the fact that they changed things up with this amp, from the phasing of the channels to the tube vary bias.

That said, the important ingredients, including higher quality components, are there. It's laid out so it's easy to repair or modify. It's designed to be maintained instead of being disposable. There's a reason why 50 to 60 year old Fender amps are still going strong.

Best of all it's made by a big brand. If I'm on a fly-in and want a rental, it's more likely to be available compared to a boutique.

There's a warranty, and service centers can actually diagnose and repair what is wrong instead of replacing entire PCB boards.

If anything this amp will only help the boutiques who build quality amps succeed and thrive. The little guys, at least the successful ones, offer amps that differ enough to offer more options to the consumer.

You offer quality, at a realistic price, and a devoted following will search these amps out. Not everybody is interested in a Chinese Marshall...

this is all assuming that the amp sounds good.

19. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Funny enough, DR's are not even my favorite Blackface Fenders. I adore Blackface/early Silverface amps, so the DR's still an amp I love, but sitting between the Princeton Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb I prefer either of those amps over the DR. The Princeton Reverb is a little more quirky and fun to play while the big glass on the Vibrolux gives more authority compared to a DR.

I guess I'm just excited that Fender has finally done something that I and other players have wanted for so many years. It makes sense that it's a platform that is the most practical and generally revered of the BF line-up.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  20. Marshall & Moonshine

Now we need Marshall to follow suit, even though I don’t buy amps anymore.