Fender vs: Gibson

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Frogfur, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

That's just licensed merchandising; it's not like Fender is actually making that stuff. More like band T-shirts- Metallica doesn't sit behind sewing machines churning them out........

1 person likes this.
  2. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

....though Kiss do.

3 people like this.
  3. Neil(UK)

Neil(UK) Senior Member

I had an idea these chopping boards and bookends may have been made in the Fender factory.

Am I wrong?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AllanDR

AllanDR Senior Member

Fender and Gibson are totally different animals, that's why I have both, My Strat is 1988 model and plays well, I also have Gibson Les Paul and Gibson 339 so I think I have all bases covered, to me you cant compare Fenders and Gibsons I love them both.

1 person likes this.
  5. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories. V.I.P. Member

Lulz. Cutting boards and bookends. I've already seen the Gibson USB and Burst near-field monitors.

I don't know if it's relevant to point out that Fender's lifestyle products remind me of an idle shop crew's side projects, while Gibson's lifestyle products are clearly part of a strategy to become a lifestyle brand.

I don't know what to think about it, really. If folks are buying that crap, and it keeps the employees working, great. I guess.

I looked it up (after posting it), and yes, the Stratocaster was slightly more expensive than the Les Paul back in 1959. Stands to reason, I think. They were comparable in terms of their build quality and utility as professional-grade instruments. The Strat offered more features: 3 pickups instead of 2, and a sleek, built-in tremolo bridge.

The Strat was priced that way on the merit of its features, I imagine...it was the new and improved model. Which leaves me a bit mystified that now, the Les Paul's set-neck, binding and nitrocellulose finish are used as justifications for their higher price.

2 people like this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. cristi tanasescu

cristi tanasescu Senior Member

these days, I like fender more...a lot more.

Nothing really compares, in my humble opinion, to the tone a good stratocaster guitar provides, be it a mim , or a mia. A good fender is a good fender; same goes for all guitars.

Gibsons are good and all, and nothing can exactly reproduce the tone of a great les paul, but fenders are so versatile, that I don't even care for the les paul tone so much .

I have played plenty of both Fenders , and Gibsons, and if I were to draw a conclusion, judging by the guitars I personally played, it would be that the cheaper Fender guitars are , simply put, better instruments regarding build quality than the cheaper, more "entry-level" Gibsons.

The first electric I played on was a cheapo squier affinity hss strat with a rosewood board, so my first love was a strat..

I put some 07 cs 69 abby pickups in my stratocaster...low and behold, what a tone. As vintagey as they get.

I like that tone more than the gibson tone..

8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I think the mythology that arose around The Burst is a big part of that. That and the cost of hardwoods climbing over the years.

In the late 80s Pauls were not that easy to get rid of.

1 person likes this.
  9. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

10. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

no comparison imo
    i think Gibson sound much better and to me this is most important,i also think
    Gibson make a much better looking guitar and overall more bang for your buck
    the only fenders i really really love are Teles
    Gibson on the other hand produce countless models that
    i want to own

11. Robus

Robus Senior Member

At least until recently, you could by an SG Special or the solid mahogany LP for less money than any USA Fender. Before Gibson's price increases, the the SG Standard could be had new for less money than an American Standard Strat or Tele.

I have a late 90s SG Special that I bought new. I paid about $500 iirc. American Standard Fenders back then were going for about $800, again if memory serves. The most recent iteration of the Special line, the Faded and the SGJ and LPJ, can be had used all day long for less money than a used American made Fender.

Whoever said Fender is a poor man's instrument is ignorant of the guitar market.

2 people like this.
  12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I've had 52 years of Fenders And Gibson guitars. I didn't just parachute in yesterday. You?
    time to stop dragg'n this dead dog thru the fourm...

1 person likes this.
  13. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter Premium Member

It smells all right and why its not on the Friday Night Rant is beyond me...

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Horse feathers...

15. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Hey, mud, I have my strat wired for master vol/master tone! and, a blend pot which is very versitile. Works killer!

1 person likes this.
  16. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories. V.I.P. Member

Nice! Does your blend pot combine the pickups in parallel, or series? :hmm:

17. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Senior Member

I've got the same mod. Love it.

18. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

The blend pot-
    1. Neck and bridge.
    2. Neck and middle.
    3 Middle.
    4. Middle and bridge.
    5. Bridge an neck.

In the zero position, everything acts as a normal strat. As you turn the pot up it blends the pickup together.
    But, even on 10, they are not 100% each. What it allows is to be able to find that sweet spot with the pups blended. Works good. Jonesy has the good blend pots. But surely other venders do as well.

1 person likes this.
  19. Neil(UK)

Neil(UK) Senior Member

Thank you for you succinct addition to the conversation. :rolleyes:

Not having heard the phrase "Horse Feathers" used before I checked the meaning and find that it means Impossible.

So without resorting to using meaningless cliches I would be interested if you would point out the "horse feathers" in my post?

20. VicodinDream

VicodinDream Senior Member

Locally for me I see more Schecter, Washburn, ESP, Indiana, Squire and Epiphone than I do Fender or Gibson. I have been called a snob because I own 2 Fenders (strats), 1 Gibson (LP Studio 50's Humbucker), 1 Epi, and a Korean made LP clone that I find in my hands more than anything. I've upgraded the hell out of it and it's my baby. My Gibson is the "Touch it and die" guitar. It has its great moments, but so do the rest.

I play whatever either suits me at the moment, or gets the sound I want or most importantly the feel I need for a given song. I've even switched guitars mid song for this reason. Some days I want nothing to do with a Les Paul. Some days I want that Noiseless Single Coil Clapton sound. Most others I want my HSS strat. I have a lot of days where I want my Gibson and nothing else.

After I bought my Gibson I decided it was too much for too little. I wished I had listened to my guitar teacher when I was a kid. Brands are nice, but its the craftsmanship and player that makes it what it is. It took a year of settling and a few setups before my Gibson sounded what I expect from it. With what I paid for it- there is no way in hell it would play at a gig unless I had police protection or my own security. I can only count the gigs where either would be affordable or a given on one hand. Maybe 2 fingers. The only Gibson I would buy now would have to match something I don't have tonally, or be a collectors item. I am after a Tribal V. If I am this protective over a studio imagine how awful I would be over that.

In the end Fender and Gibson (Gibson being the bigger offender) are lifestyle products. Just like Harley Davidson. If I am going to spend $1,000 for a guitar I will pay either Dan Erlewine or beg one of you fine folks here to build me one. It would be just as good if not better and a much better bargain.