Fender vs: Gibson

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Frogfur, Apr 23, 2015.

1. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I can't imagine not having both.

4 people like this.
  2. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Looks like Fender wants to concentrate on amps and electric guitars (both Fender and Gretsch) and not lose focus.

Hear that, Henry?

3. Neil(UK)

Neil(UK) Senior Member

You are English so I don't know why you keep quoting dollars?

I've had a quick look at our prices.

Prices here from the big boys:

Fender Esquire is £609 over here versus £599 for the Junior.

Esquire comes with gigbag, Junior comes with hardcase.

Esquire is imported (Mexico, cheaper labour) Junior is made in USA.

How is the Fender cheaper?

Of course binding is not the only difference but you probably don't really know.

Differences between the Studio and Standard that I have noted, there may be others:

The Studio is thinner than the Standard.

It has far less "carve" (hand shaping that takes more time.)

Different pickups.

Multi piece backs on the Studio.

Plus of course more time has to be spent on the bound models which have to be scraped back by hand after spraying.

I am not saying how much money this adds to the price but to state that binding is the only difference between the Studios and Standards is rather disingenuous.

4. Bill Hicklin

I'm not English, just happened to do a year at Cambridge. And grew up with Brits in Germany (NATO father)

------------------------

I'm going by MSRP; retailers adjust their prices for any number of reasons. It is also entirely possible - I don't actually know, just speculating - that the UK tariff on Mexican-made goods is higher than that on those from the US.

Also- are you comparing 2015 models?

-------------------------
    Studio vs Standard- in other words, the Standard is pretty similar to the manufacture of the original 50s LPs, whereas the Studio is the cost-cutting stripper version. Yet back when they were making those original Bursts, they cost almost exactly the same as a Strat, whereas now the price of a US-made Strat won't buy a half-interest in a Standard, just the cost-cutting stripper version.

5. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

I thought the Strat was more expensive than an LP in 1959...

6. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

See what happens when you miss a staff meeting?

2 people like this.
  7. Bill Hicklin

It was but not by a whole lot, therefore "comparable." IIRC, something like $280 vs $265.

8. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Thank you for your kind words ye rat bastid.... :D

1 person likes this.
  9. mudfinger

I really get along with the SSS configuration; I use the switch all the time between sections and even phrases, and that bridge pickup, during the climax of a wailing lead, is just the thing. I did wire mine up for master volume and tone, so I have a leftover knob at the moment, not sure what I'll do with that...

3 people like this.
  10. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

To the OP's question, if you look at all the inexpensive, matte finish, "tribute" guitars Gibson has offered in the last few years, it could be argued that there are plenty of affordable Gibsons out there these days. Yes, as a whole Gibsons cost more, but I see plenty of working musicians playing them.

I don't know why people feel the need to argue about which is better/cheaper/nicer/etc. Fender and Gibson are apples and oranges, always will be. I think it would behoove and working musician to have both. A Les Paul or SG combined with a Strat or a Tele makes a combination that can cover almost any style. A serious working musician should be able to come up with a pair of these for an affordable price on the used market.

3 people like this.
  11. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

Love the Les Paul in the second photo. Is that a cherry burst? If I ever get another (ahaha..."if") Les Paul, I want a burst similar to that.

Without really reading a ton of the thread, I like both Fender and Gibson. I think the Les Paul is my favorite, my go to, but I still like Fender a lot. The Les Paul just has the best feel and tone for me, there is just something about plugging in a Les Paul, turning the gain up, and just letting out one hard power chord. It's like playing Black Sabbath backwards on the turntable and seeing God.

But I tell ya, the strats I've played, I felt like they played themselves. Such a smooth guitar to play, very enjoyable, and versatile as hell. Fender also has the super cool Mustangs, Jaguars, Jazzmasters for your grunge, surf, punk, and indy rock needs (plus the lovely colors).

I'm not even sure what I'm on about right now. I just really like both companies.

2 people like this.
  12. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

Except it is. The fact that in the context of this argument you have a different definition of 'proper LP' to the company who make them, the overwhelming majority of people who buy them and the Patent Office, doesn't actually mean that they aren't proper LPs.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to the opinion, and I understand that you specifically said 'to me', but if your subjective view isn't broadly shared, then any argument based on that view won't come over as objectively convincing.

In this case, you argue that an LP is a luxury item, and in support of that idea you adopt a definition of 'proper LP' that excludes those LPs that aren't priced as luxury items.

Which is a sort of semantic sleight of hand, really. If your definition of an LP is that it's a luxury item, and anything that isn't a luxury item isn't an LP, then your argument that an LP is an luxury item is self-fulfilling, because if anyone suggests an LP that isn't a luxury item you can say that its not an LP so your argument still stands.

2 people like this.
  13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Premium Member

Fender generally gives you more bang for your buck, but sometimes bang isn't the only consideration.

[​IMG]

If you include Epiphone with Gibson, the comparison is much more level, but in my experience, Fenders are still more durable.

I've never seen a Tele or a Strat with a broken headstock. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I've seen a dozen or so Gibsons with broken headstocks.

I love both Gibson and Fender... Their guitars, and their brand identities. I've got both kinds of guitars, and I've got both kinds of T-shirts too! :naughty:

Last time I was at Guitar Center, I saw a Fender branded hamburger flipper shaped like a Strat body. They also had Fender branded hockey pucks, Fender mouse pads, and Gibson branded whiskey glasses.

I love both Fender and Gibson guitars, but Fender's been doing the "Lifestyle Brand" thing just as long as Gibson, perhaps longer.

3 people like this.
  14. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

That's not a new thought -- that's specifically what Leo was going for.

Thing is, Fender's become a premium brand as well, compared to the onslaught of Korean/Chinese/Indonesian guitars for under $1000.

15. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

Musical mastermind Andy Partridge was once asked the age-old Fender vs. Gibson question and replied: "Well, it's a silly question, really, because it's like, if you need red paint, you need red paint. If you need blue paint, you need blue paint. Gibsons sound red, Fenders sound blue."

Hit the nail on the head.

7 people like this.
  16. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a11mwm0rXX4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a11mwm0rXX4[/ame]

17. colchar

colchar Banned

[​IMG]

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  18. colchar

colchar Banned

I had my last Strat wired like Jimmie Vaughan has his - the neck and bridge pickups wired to tone controls with the middle pickup not wired to any tone control. I really liked it like that.

1 person likes this.
  19. colchar

colchar Banned

Yeah I have long wondered why Fender cannot make a decent acoustic. I guess they just don't care much for that segment of the market.

20. mudfinger

I like the master volume/master tone placement way too much to change it, now. It quickly became integral, as did palming the cutoff tremolo arm. So many colors!

The original plan was an EC style boost, but lately I've been inclined towards the notion of something that changes the resonant peak. We'll see, no rush.

2 people like this.