Fender Super Tweed Build

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Cjsinla, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Oatie

Oatie Junior Member

Cool on your Super build, I have an original 1959 and I want to remind you the original Fender tweed Twins, Bassman, Pro, Super and Bandmaster all had 1 Meg LIN Vol Pots from the factory. All the PDF schematics show Audio Log 1 Meg Vol pots but they are all wrong. From 1956 to my 1960 tweed Twin, all the above amps (5881) have the LIN Vol pots. All the other tweeds have Audio Log pots, if you want to try some in your new build.

[​IMG]

The 1Meg LIN Vol pots above are from my April 1960 Tweed Twin 5F8/A . the taper is different on the LIN pots, but Fender used them in all the (5881) tube amps. The volume adjustment is good from Vol setting 1 all the way up. The sweep is smooth. Anyone with an original ampcheck your pots, Stackpole on the 1956 to about late 1958, then CTS pots after that for mist of the amps.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Good information. The Fender drawings dont show either way.

Other than the rotational position of the dial, the range is the same, so unless you're doing pinkie swells with the amp's knobs... does it matter?

3. Leña_Costoso

Hey I just noticed, but your Sperry SP-10A needs to have its movement's zero adjust set. The needle's not on "0", which throws all the readings off.[​IMG]

4. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I will check it out.

5. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

:)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Leña_Costoso

No offense intended, D'tar. There are two adjustments. One is ONLY for ohms, and is as you describe. The other is for the ENTIRE MOVEMENT AND ALL RANGES. The mechanical setting of zero is necessary regardless of ohm zero. Ohm zero is only to adjust for the battery condition required ONLY for ohms readings.

7. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

No offense taken. If I measure ohms I will zero ohms. If I measure voltage I will zero to the other end of the scale. Simply meant to bring attention to the adjustment of the meter due to the discrepancy of measurements. I shall attempt to be more clear in the future.

So do you have a final voltage chart? How is this thing biased? Are you happy with the change. And will you be looking to upgrade to a MM O/T as well?

@Leña_Costoso Thanks for the construction paper tip. I now have a sheet in my tool box :thumb:

8. Leña_Costoso

Thanks....I'm just a grumpy ol curmudgeon.

9. Leña_Costoso

I'm going to be replacing the bias pot in my amp next week. Finally... they shipped the audio taper one. And its a CTS not Alpha!

So, what I'll do is get out my Fluke 83 and see what it reads for B+ at various points, filaments, and for the bias voltage at 40-42milliamps at idle.

Went nuts today with a strange warbling buzz in my Super. An hour later I brought the amp into a larger room. No warble. WTFF? Into my office... no warble. Den... no warble. Back in the bedroom. Warble. The !@#$#@$ CEILING FAN!!!!!

Splattle101 likes this.
  10. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

Apologies in advance for any hijaking. . .
    Probably a stupid question but how would i begin a project like this witbout any electrical experience? ive been thinking abkut this for quit a while but never knew quite where to start.

11. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

12. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I didn’t have any experience either. I read up on some theory, how tubes and circuits worked. I also watched the amp building videos on the Tube Depot website. Then I started small, a Tweed Champ is an easy one. It helps if you have a good soldering iron and a multi-tester as well. I got one of those soldering setups that heat up very fast and have adjustable temperature control. If you get stuck the guys here are very helpful.

Oh, yeah, I also got a free-standing magnifier with a light so I could see what I was doing clearly. My eyes are a little weak and it was much easier wiring the tube sockets with magnification.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 9:58 PM
    brewsnale likes this.
  13. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I had that happen with my AC30, it was a fan on a table that caused my problem. It’s especially noticeable with the high notes.

14. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I'll see your ceiling fan, and raise you a Thermomix. :mad:

brewsnale likes this.
  15. Oatie

Oatie Junior Member

Here is my 1959 Fender Pro Tweed with a new 1x12 baffle for the Gold ALniCo sound.

I remove the original baffle w/ Jensen P15N and install either the 2x10 baffle or the 1x12 baffle.
    The tweed Pro is it has the exact same circuit as the 5F4A Super.
    The Pro has the 8 ohm OT, so I use two 16 ohm Celestion Gold 10" speakers to turn the Pro into a Super.

In this pic I have a 3mica 5751 blackplate gold label Sylvania tube in V1, it raises the gain from 12AY7 ( 44 ) to 5751 ( 70 ) on that tube. Going to a 7025 RCA raises the gain to ( 100 ) and makes super gain.

I need to install new filter caps in this amp to be safe and a new IN4007 diode from the PT.

TO sum it up, if you want a 5F4 Super but cannot afford the price, buy a Pro and make a new 2x10 baffle for less than 1/2 the cost. The old stock Tung Sol 5881 tubes will last years. See how clean the repo 1x12 baffle looks painted black?
    Looks stock, vs. An unpainted natural Baltic baffle. My Super-Pro has the 3 baffles, 1x12. - 1x15 - 2x10 .

You are really going to enjoy your build and speaker & tube rolling.

[​IMG]

16. Leña_Costoso

The guy gets a lot of flack, but Dan Torres book Inside Tube Amps has a lot of simple basic easy math kind of stuff in it. And there's nothing glaringly inaccurate in it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    brewsnale likes this.