Fender Super Tweed Build

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Cjsinla, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Got it worked out. I guess that 9 pin sockets with shields have that center connector and you just work around them.

IMG_0590.JPG

2. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Yes, it's not connected to anything. You can work around it, cut it off, or use it as an anchor point if you have grid resistors you need to wire in.

3. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

Great build! I hope we get to hear it when it's all wrapped up!

These look pretty good

upload_2017-10-5_10-4-28.png

This one I would touch up a little

upload_2017-10-5_10-5-11.png

4. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

5. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

I realize there are many ways to skin a cat. I am curious why you choose to ground the cathode resistor/bypass cap to the back of the pot and not directly to the brass plate. What's the plan for the filter cap grounds also?

6. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I couldn't get my iron hot enough or needed flux or something and the solder wouldn't stick to the brass as I intended. It was suggested to me that they could be attached to the ground lugs on the input jacks and I did put one there. The two filter cap grounds are attached to a lug on one of the PT bolts.

In the meantime I wired up the heaters and the speakers. Weber didn't provide any green wire so I used the red and blue they sent.

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

Leña_Costoso likes this.
  7. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

Heresy!:dunno:

Looks like your on the home stretch! Won't be long now!

8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I know, need the green. Only thing left to do is hooking up the AC cord, mounting the chassis in the case and plugging that bad boy in. I plan to do that tonight and play with it all weekend.

9. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Its alive! I have a few questions about the amp. It sounds great and has many usable tones. The tone controls seem odd to me. When the presence is all the way down there is an barely audible high pitched whine that goes away as the control passes 2. When the bass control is turned all the way down there is a pronounced volume drop. At present I find that all tone controls must be at 2 or higher for the amp to work correctly I’ve never played any Tweed amps until I started building so I have no idea what’s right or wrong about my build.

63BA175B-B595-4AFD-B423-5E5A605725D3.jpeg

Leña_Costoso and Splattle101 like this.
  10. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

After playing the amp for a few hours the whining noise has all but completely disappeared. There is still a volume drop when all the tone knobs are turned all the way down. Jumping the two channels really works well. Using the guitar’s volume knobs and pickup selector lets you get get everything from sweet chime to roaring power chords. The bright channel sounds a little smoother than the normal channel. Once I got the amp doing what I wanted it to do with a Telecaster the amp began to respond well to my humbucker and P90 guitars as well. This amp is loud but does not seem to have the dreaded ice pick even when very loud. The bottom end can get a little flubby but is capable of having a pretty tight bottom end if needed. I’m glad I went with the 16uf caps (they shipped 20uf’s) and the tube rectifier, it is not too spongy, it has plenty of punch. I did have Weber send 2 10 inch 30 ohm alnico speakers instead of the 20 ohm speakers that the kit was supposed to come with but I’m not sure what difference that made. The whole rig weighs about 50 pounds, the weight of one JCM800 head.

Leña_Costoso and Splattle101 like this.
  11. Splattle101

Congrats on a nice amp! :) My home brewed 5F4 Super is my favourite amp at the moment, and has been since I completed it. To my ear it's the right combination of headroom and great, tweedy grind. It delivers all that without breaking my shoulder or blowing the windows out, but it's got enough loudness to give me good stage sound in most venues. Great amps.

In the last pic you posted, the power lead seems to hang straight from the chassis. I would recommend running the cable through a strain relief mounted on the inside of the cabinet. Like this one on my tweed Champ clone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a small thing, but it can save you the dollars of replacing your PT if something horrible happens and the power cord gets yanked hard. You can buy 'em from Mojo, or you can make them. I made one out of the plastic from an icecream container lid, for example.

12. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

That cord is running straight down without the strain relief, my other kits came with one but this one didn’t. Also, the black plastic thing that clamps the cord is very loose. At this point I have a knot in the power cord and plan to add the strain relief.

@Splattle101 Does your Super experience a volume drop when you turn your tone knobs to zero?

13. Splattle101

Yes, there's a significant volume drop if you turn the bass and treble all the way down. This is not unusual. On the blackface Fenders, the volume drops to ZERO if you do that.

14. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

What you're seeing on the bass control is correct for the 5F4 tone controls. If you look at the signal path, the bass control splits between a capacitor to ground, and straight to ground. If you insert a resistor between the bass control's grounded leg and ground, you'll be "expanding" the range of the pot, and limiting its lowest value "to ground". You can experiment with values of 25k to 100k. A 50k resistor should mitigate things pretty well. As I recall... that's exactly the value I used on the 4x10 5F4 I built some years ago.

Hey! And congrats on getting it done! Mine has been waiting for me to finish the board, and for the copper to arrive for the plate under the pots and jacks. In the meantime, I've got the cabinet hardware all set to go (Mojo missed the boat on the type of screws I specified, but no biggie, screws are cheap).

And, sadly, I'm still dealing with Hurricane Irma cleanup - last weekend I got to improvise my dolly (hand truck) to move the last 800lb piece of oak trunk. Ended up extending the handles to about 8 feet and filling the tires to 90psi... and strapping the trunk to the frame of the dolly and PRAYING as me and the ol' lady got it about 150 feet out to the road. Pains me that the amp parts showed up before the storm but... oh well.

Your amp looks nice. SOUND CLIPS man... SOUND CLIPS!

15. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Thanks for the input about the controls, guys. I’m still getting the hang of this amp but I really like how it sounds. I jumpered the channels and that really works well; bright channel on 4 and the other channel on 2. Guitars really roar when you turn up to 10 but clean up really well when you turn down. I don’t really use pedals lately. The amp is really responsive to pick attack, something that is true for all 3 tweeds that I’ve built. I find I can get a variety of tones without touching the guitar’s controls.

@Leña_Costoso - sorry to hear about your hurricane problems. As far as recording, I only have a cellphone or pad, not sure how it would sound or how to go about setting that up at present. I’ll see what I can do.

16. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

@Leña_Costoso
    Here’s a few clips, you asked for them, bright channel, volume at 4. It sounds great with all three guitars, single coils, P90’s, buckers. No pedals, didn’t touch the amp between takes, recorded on my iPad. I made a few changes to the Weber kit - Mercury Magnetics OT, mojo Dijon caps, 12AY7 in V1. Just a few minutes of noodling around using only the pickup selector and volume and tone knobs. This amp is pretty damn loud and might even keep up with my drummer. I would try using the amp but we haven’t been playing or rehearsing.

@Splattle101 - thanks to both of you guys for your input and support.

Mr Alarm and Splattle101 like this.
  17. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

Great job Cjsinla! Congrats on your new amp! Enjoy, and thanks for the sound clips.

18. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Great tones they are! And yes....Supers are loud. Really only about 1.5 dB behind a 5F6a Bassman.....can easily be louder with the right speakers.

Cjsinla likes this.
  19. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

It was big fun building that amplifier. Now, I still have the bug so I thought I might get a Mojotone vibra-champ amp. I’ve tried the Fender kits from Tube Depot and the cheap ones all have PCB and the Weber one seem to be lacking in some quality. I did buy a board pre-wired from Mojotone for my tweed Deluxe that I liked a lot and their transformers are all made in the USA. I settled on the Champ because it was relatively inexpensive and my house is full of big amplifiers. Also, One of our forum brothers recently bought an original one and I was intrigued. I went with their stock kit to begin with and we will see how that turns out.