Fender Princeton reverb reissues

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Zepp76, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

Do any of you fine people have any experience with the Fender Princeton reverb reissues? What are your thoughts on it? I believe the speaker can be the weakest link unless it's a limited edition with upgraded speaker, what speakers would be recommended as an upgrade? I really like the look and sound of the Knotted pine ltd edition with the creamback speaker, really warm sounding. So, your thoughts are much appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time and help.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

They are one of the warmest sounding amps (at lower volumes) that I ever owned. When turned up the speaker flubs and farts. I loved mine for playing clean late at night. The clean sound will fill a room and even keep up with a tame drummer. The tremolo and reverb are fantastic.

When I owned mine I had a Deluxe Reverb, the Princeton, a Blues Junior a Pro Junior and an old Champ. I sold the Princeton because the Deluxe Reverb covered most of the same basses but I could gig the Deluxe. The Blues Junior and Pro Junior are both 15 watts but they could keep up with a drummer. The Princeton became an expensive luxury. I sold it when I bought my Firebird.

If you want clean and beautiful at reasonable volumes and if you love warm trem and reverb the Princeton is a perfect amp.

3. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

@studio1087 Thank you for your input. That's the problem I'd like to crank it to get a nice driven tone but as you say it gets flubby and farty. I'm sure with the correct speaker upgrade it'll do a good job but then it's a case of possibly sacrificing good low volume tone.

4. sonar

sonar Senior Member

My favorite of the BF reissues hand's down. I don't find them overly flubby or farty, but I grew up around old Fender amps and am used to some of the idiosyncrasies of these amps. Of the reissues the PR comes closest to sounding like the old amps.

PR's have a somewhat "inefficient" or "unbalanced" cathodyne phase inverter, undersized transformers and a few watts choked out of the power rail. These limitations are actually what makes PR's so cool and unique in the BF era of amps. Cranked up they get hot and jumpy, with a sonic Napoleon complex and a FU attitude. You're not going to get a smooth OD like a Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux, etc. Some people describe it as an "ack" or "blat" attack. I like to think of it as a jagged, bouncy overdrive, which in my opinion makes PR's much more interesting and fun amps to play compared to a Deluxe Reverb. It's definitely a love or hate thing, and I'm very much in the love camp. If that doesn't do it for you, get a Deluxe Reverb.

I did do some things with my clone build to make my amp more band friendly. I have a 12" alnico red fang in my clone that sounds pretty glorious, and loud. There are also some other things you can do to tighten up the bass and give the amp a few more useable watts, such as moving up to a 12" speaker (mentioned above) replacing the OT with a Deluxe style transformer and the "Trinity" of PR mods (PaulC/Ampeg, Stokes and Rick E.) but all of these can be trade-offs which can subtract some of the uniqueness of the amp.

Which leads back to the speaker. An easy enough fix with a lot of alternatives. I personally like Brit style alnico speakers as Fender replacements.

5. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Love the princetons!!! Ultimate soundtrack amp...a good player can make beautiful music alone in a room with nothing else!
    If low-end and volume is a concern, I know Sweetwater and GC have a limited edition version with 12" speaker.

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

7. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

8. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm going to do a bit more research into some of the limited editions that are/were available. Not sure what was released over here in the U.K but I'll look anyway, I have seen the Knotted pine ltd edition which is very nice but a bit pricey. Does anyone have more of a clue on the ltd editions?

9. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

@Zepp76 did you end up getting it and are you happy with it?

10. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I love the '68 Custom Princeton Reverbs.

Big beautiful sound from a little amp.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't taken the plunge yet as I'm rekindling my love affair with my JTM45! But I can see myself owning the knotty pine ltd edition Princeton at some point but at £1550 it won't be in the near future.

12. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

pretty much blown away with the p10q in mine.

[​IMG]

13. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

There are 3 main amp sounds. Fender, Vox and Marshall. Pick a version you like and enjoy!!!! Love the Princeton but I like a lot of Fenders

14. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Which Fender?
    Which Marshall?
    (We usually know which Vox...:))

15. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

I have a 68 non custom PR. (actually made in 1968)
    I plug it into a 1x12, or 2x12 cab if I want to move more air.
    With the controlled stage volume levels these days.. Perfect amp!

16. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

I played one of the knotty pine FSR PRRI when I was on my Princeton Safari several months ago.
    I ended up preferring an FSR PRRI tweed with a P10Q. I ended up swapping the speaker for an Alnico Gold 10 and the amp is just about perfect for my small gig needs
    [​IMG]

BlueCajun likes this.
  17. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I couldn’t figure out how to respond to the conversation, so I’ll just say that all I meant was that each brand has different “golden eras” that are quite different from each other, like Tweed, (Brownface is great, but not quite as iconic as the other two—the tragic middle child) and Blackface or JTM, JMP and JCM.
    That’s all.
    No bait.