Fender Princeton Fudge Brownie

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Big John, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

A local buddy took delivery yesterday of this amp from AMS. He said this morning on the phone that Fender knocked it out of the park with this one. So we're going to get together tonight and have a little 3-amp shootout. The Princeton along with his Blues Jr and then I'm bringing one of my Mesa Subway Blues combos. I'll probably bring my Zoom Q2 and record the dealyo.

christophervolume likes this.
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Yeah! I can’t wait to hear it. The Blues Jr gets.....”mixed reviews”, to put it nicely. I got the impression that it was to the Princeton what the Hot Rod Deluxe was to the Deluxe. I also get the impression that a better cab design and maybe speaker from the get go might have made it a working man’s classic, like the HRD is.
    (Folks can deny it, but I read somewhere that the HRD is the top-selling amp OF ALL TIME, so obviously there’s something to it. Anyway, don’t mean to digress...:))
    I love that Fender is doing ok the reissues and tweaked reissues. I wish Marshall would do the same at the same price point. I bet they could put the Studio 15 back out there, or do a good quality (thick boards, good components, laid out well) 6v6 2204 and really make some money, by selling en masse.
    Wow.
    I’m not talking about the op at all, anymore. Haha! Sorry.
    I love comparisons of different amps, partly because you get ideas of what amps would work well in an ABY setup.

JohnnyN likes this.
  3. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

All of those amps kill!
    You just need a Vox AC15 or AC30 to round-out the field!

4. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

i just got the fudge brownie princeton a few weeks back. it's fantastic! i have the tweed blues jr model with the upgraded speaker. while a good workhorse amp, i've gigged it many a times, the princeton smokes it. have fun!

here's mine -

[​IMG]

5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

What a great clip!!!!!
    :applause::applause::applause:

6. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

hey, thanks! just a sloppy one-taker. i've been really getting into old school travis picking stuff.

7. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Great sounding amp.

8. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Update...my buddy has decided to swap out the output transformer for a Deluxe Reverb transformer. His goal is to get the same exact tone but with more volume. Personally, I think he's nuts to do such a drastic mod so soon after buying it. Will report back to thread after I play/hear the amp after surgery.