Fender Mustang the most versatile practice amp ever

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by thexmadxtopxhatter, Oct 20, 2012.

1. thexmadxtopxhatter

thexmadxtopxhatter Senior Member

So m favorite youtube metal player, Ola Englund AKA "fearedse", just posted this video. This is really making me want to buy a mustang! Anyone else got clips showing its versatility? :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvtvstFjVuU]Fender Mustang I - Metal - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HC7GkRym3E[/ame]

3 people like this.
  2. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Great little practice amps for the price, you really can't beat'em.

2 people like this.
  3. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

The little Peavey Vyper is pretty cool too! I'm a tube dude, but for its purpose and price, you really can't beat it. Some of them are actually pretty responsive. It was all I had on a ship for 4 months, and it definitely got me by. I'm not familiar with the Fender, but the Peavey could only access one effect at a time, but the delay and reverb had their own controls. Fun little box. Perfect for a kid going to college that isn't in a band. Once the volume gets up there, its limitations become pretty clear, imo.
    Tubes have NOTHING to fear from these things, but for bedroom practicing, they do just fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

The Mustangs are very versatile, awesome amps, especially once you start working on your own presets!

2 people like this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I'm actually going to try and get rid of my vypyr and get a mustang 1 or 2... I think they just sound great.... the mustang floor unit is great too...

6. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

yes the mustangs are good at home

7. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Add a looper Fender and its a home run.

8. Bubbletonic

Bubbletonic Senior Member

Started using Guitar Rig and Amplitube and now I hardly use anything else.

1 person likes this.
  9. thexmadxtopxhatter

thexmadxtopxhatter Senior Member

Really makes me regret buying a line 6 spyder III when i first started guitar!

10. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

I had a Mustang 1 and sold it rather quickly. I know everyone seems to love theirs but it was not my thing. Replaced it with a Fender Greta, the complete opposite of a Mustang, put in some decent tubes and am now happier than a pig in shit with my practice amp.

3 people like this.
  11. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Can you use headphones with the Greta?

I like that I can use headphones with the Mustang I, so you can jam out and have a ball with it cranked and no one in the house will care one way or the other. I also like that I can use some effects to enhance the sound/cover/tone I am looking for, which makes things a lot of fun when jamming to your favorite songs, or your own favorite licks.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

no amp is "one size fits all" other wise we'd all have the same amps :)

everyone has to find their thing... glad you found yours :dude:

13. Mattyboy

Mattyboy Senior Member

I had the Mustang I. Good sounding amp, but I didn't dig having to hook it up to my computer for downloading stuff. Lot's of people like doing that stuff though. I ended up with a Vox VT20+. Sweet amp so far. Lot's of gizmos. About 90% never get used though.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I feel the same way about my vypyr... I like the amp models a lot... but if I really wanted a flanger, delays, phaser, (basically most of the modulation effects) I would have a decent pedal of that ilk already... to me those are the "toys"

I went through every preset and turned off the toys, maybe left a little reverb, or light delay here and there... other than that, made it straight up amp models... even then there are only a few models I use...

at least the vt series and the mustang series there were some presets set to be designed like a particular sound/song/artist...

I probably should play with some of those "toys" on the amp one day... maybe then I'll start seeing them as "tools" instead

1 person likes this.
  15. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Senior Member

I am never one to say bad about anyone's choice of gear. That's not my style. So to that end I am tickled to death that you like your Mustang. And I bought a Mustang II some months back. Kept it a week and sold it to my computer savy bud across the road. To me, and this is just my opinion now, I could not get the hang of the computer hook up and such to an amp. Remember, I'm an oldman and not acustom to computer stuff and it just confused me to no end. I went back to tubes and my SS amps. I like pots (knobs) on my amp and not a whole lot of 'em either.:)

Now my bud that has the Mustang II has the time of his life with it. He's got stuff dialed in that thing that defies logic and gravity! But he can't run pedals with it though...

Now I gotta admit that I have a Fender Vibro Champ XD that I got cheap on a closeout. It has knobs, and tubes in the poweramp. Guess that's why I can use it. Knobs.......Tubes.......Yeah, I can do that....
    Mostly use the Tweed or Blackface voice and the reverb + delay for the FX. If I want it dirty, I up the gain, or drop a pedal in front of it. What can I say? I'm old school...

Wade

16. allbusinessjoe

allbusinessjoe Senior Member

I've got a Mustang1 and am happy with it as far as delivering bang for the buck. Use the existing presets or tweak your own, and the amp does a great job of faithfully creating nice amp tones without raving to lug heavy cabs and a half dozen pedals around. I have some high powered tube amps, but I tend to use my Blackstar HT5 the most,.....especially with the way I have it set up.

i see Mustangs on Craigslist for $65. That is less than 1/2 the cost of most pedals! Considering the cost and what it does, it just might be the best grab and go practice amp.

17. allbusinessjoe

allbusinessjoe Senior Member

I've got a Mustang1 and am happy with it as far as delivering bang for the buck. Use the existing presets or tweak your own, and the amp does a great job of faithfully creating nice amp tones without having to lug heavy cabs and a half dozen pedals around. I have some high powered tube amps, but I tend to use my Blackstar HT5 the most,.....especially with the way I have it set up. But the Mustang is nice to have around.

i see Mustangs on Craigslist for $65. That is less than 1/2 the cost of most pedals! Considering the cost and what it does, it just might be the best grab and go practice amp around.

2 people like this.
  18. rapaul76

rapaul76 Senior Member

I have the Mustang Floor and it's really versatile and a lot of fun.

1 person likes this.
  19. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I was just playing around with mine for a couple of hours, man this little thing is a lot of fun at low volumes while company is upstairs talking and visiting. I downloaded a few presets for Crazy Train and it is fun to hear other people's takes on that famous song and the tone they perceive it has.

Anyway, here are some of the clips I have created over the years I have had the Mustang amp. These are also all recorded using the Ableton Light software that comes with the amp, which just adds to making it a really great purchase.

Strangle Hold
    http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/soundclips/lpplustopstrangle_20111124.mp3

Just some Drop D stuff to show the sustain and killer feedback at bedroom volumes.
    http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/soundclips/dropdmetal_20111001.mp3

Ain't Talking About Love
    http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/soundclips/fatstrataboutlove_20111005.mp3

Tears Don't Fall
    http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/soundclips/tearsdontfall_20120211.mp3

1 person likes this.
  20. Ob Com

Ob Com Senior Member

The mustangs are fantastic for what they set out to be.

As a quiet home practice amp I think they are unbeatable for people in an apartment or a terraced house- the headphone out means you can play for hours without restraint.

The amp modeling is way better than the line 6 stuff, and very convincing on the Fender simulations (the vox is very good too imo).

And as an affordable amp and pedal board in a box, they are priced really well and make a great starter amp for younger people on a budget.

I just can't fault them.