Fender Limited Edition '65 Princeton RI vs Marshall DSL40c for home use only

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by SoCal Flood, Sep 13, 2017.

Fender Princeton '65 RI Limited Edition vs. Marshall DSL40c for home use

1. Fender Princeton '65 RI Limited Edition

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Marshall DSL40c

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

New to playing guitar. Got myself a new '17 LP standard and a Fender Champion 600 right now that my buddy gave me for light home practice. The Champion does an admirable job and sounds great for fairly low volume, but obviously has it's limitations. I'm looking to upgrade to something bigger with a 12" speaker. I won't be doing any gigs, so it's strictly for home use, but I want it to get loud and dirty and I'm not worried about neighbors. I've considered Blackstar and Vox as well, but while they both no doubt sound great and I appreciate them, they just didn't move me like Marshall and Fender. I've played the Princeton and DSL40 extensively at my local GC and it was no help, I really enjoy them both for different reasons and i'm completely torn. If i had the money i'd own them both. I'm trying to do this without a ton of pedals. I know you guys can't tell me what's right for ME, but i'd appreciate any wisdom you can pass along to help me make this decision. I'm spending a lot of money (well it is for me anyways) early on in the game before I am experienced, and I don't want to regret my early decisions.

I listen to and will venture to learn how to play jazz, blues, classic rock and occasionally hard rock. I need an amp setup that's versatile, but simple (small footprint) if possible because I don't have a lot of room at home for gear.

I know these are two completely different beasts. I absolutely can't get over the cleans and reverb of the Princeton. The Marshall cleans aren't terrible by any means, but every time i plugged back into the Princeton I was just seduced by the rich, organic tones, they're just beautiful and I never wanted to stop plucking those LP strings! However I can only get to about 5 on the volume knob before my ears bleed and that's not enough for the distortion i'm after. Therefore I feel the Princeton by itself is a bit limited for me here. I can see jazz and blues out of this amp all day, but I'm worried i won't be able to rock out without a bunch of additions to the amp (pedals, attenuation, etc).

On the other hand, the Marshall has swiss army knife ability and gets dirty really easily. I had a lot of fun playing it because there are so many adjustments and different sounds that can be had. I can see myself playing across all genres with this thing really easily. I love how i can go clean or get crunch and distortion so easily and at really low volumes when needed using the triode mode. The main drawbacks are that overall it sounds a touch tinny to me, lacking the rich, sophisticated tones of the Fender, and the reverb is practically non-existent by comparison (the reverb not as big a deal as the cleans to me).

I've considered the Princeton paired with a pedal like the Friedman BE-OD, which i heard at GC and it sounded great... but then i'm looking at a $1,300 investment whereas the DSL40c is $700. I can swing $1,300 if I must, but saving $600 sounds awesome too and wouldn't require the extra pedal/wires. But damn i would miss the cleans of the Princeton.

So you see my dilemma. Sorry for the crazy long post. :hippie:

2. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

get the marshall :dude: the fender only kicks its A$$ in cleans as stated above the marshall clean is doable

3. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

I guess it all depends on what you like more... Fender cleans & reverb or Marshall flavored dirt.

Have you considered a DDRI? Same price (iirc) as the limited 1x12 PR but with tube reverb, tube vibrato and a tube rectifier...

Also, if you go Marshall DSL40C, you might consider getting the Sweetwater version of the Marshall DSL40CST (same $699.99 price) which comes stock with a Creamback speaker which is pretty cool...

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I have a "Vintage" Silverface (blackface circuitry though) Princeton amp (12 watts... ) and it sounds really nice.
    With a Boss SD-1 or Rat, it really rocks.

But any of the two is a good choice.
    You know better than anyone what kind of tone you're after.
    If you don't, pay the price of possibly making an error.
    We all have, one way or another.
    :D

SoCal Flood likes this.
  5. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

I actually started with the DDRI then fell in love with the Princeton. I actually like it's tone better and it breaks up a bit earlier which in my case for home use is better. Also the DDRI is a bit loud for my use.

Great call, I just learned about the Sweetwater version. No brainer if I go Marshall here.

6. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I don't want to recommend either, but I want to clear up a misconception.

The Fender is NOT only good for cleans. If you crank it, that Princeton will deliver fantastic distortion. Similarly, if you turn it up just to the point that the cleans start to sing, a pedal on top of that sound will be excellent.

7. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

My PRRI has all of that too

8. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Cool! Thanks for the clarification.:jam:

9. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

You have to get both then your good for a long time.Their is nothing better than getting intimate for hours with those Fender cleans,oh so beautiful!!!.The pedal I recomend for the Fender would be a Fultone OCD.The DSL40c is a beast with that nice solid cab,el34 tubes and all those channels.Consider putting a WGS Veteran 30 in it(90$ plus shipping).Vastly superior speaker.Buy either one then look forward to the next.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  10. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

I agree that I need both in my life. Looks like I'm going to start with the Marshall then just dream about the Princeton for a while until I save up the funds. Since I'm a beginner the Marshall is going to give me great tonal variety so I can explore all of the genres I seek out to play. But there's no doubt those Fender cleans will be mine one day! Thanks for everyone's input!

11. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Ah yes, choices.... :D
    Have you checked out the Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb? Has more dirt than the 65, and goes really well with a Lester IMOP!

12. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

You say the amp is tinny.Try a WGS Veteran 30.It has a bigger magnet(50 oz.Vs.31 oz.)) and is a improvement of the Celestion Vintage 30.The stock speaker is a cheapie.Some people like it but it is a lower end Celestion.Bad side is you will be adding weight to the amp due to the much beefier speaker.But the tone is night and day.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    SoCal Flood likes this.
  13. sonar

sonar Senior Member

A Marshall giving you great variety?

I guess you are a beginner.:naughty:

14. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

I'll take that as a vote for Fender :laugh2:

15. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Picked the Marshall up last night. No doubt a speaker upgrade is in my future. For now I've got no major beef with the stock celestian. As my skills improve I'm sure I'll get more demanding and curiosity will get the best of me. Thanks for the speaker recommendation, good alternative to the Celestian Creamback everyone seems to love. Man this is fun.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  16. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Well, just a tease. Marshall's, even the best of them, are not known for variety, but if you play rock, who cares?

Congrats and HNAD!

17. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

10 years ago, I would have said DSL.

Now, I would go for the Princeton without hesitation. The vintage tones of the Princeton, paired with the flexibility of a couple of great pedals. Done.

My M&M moment: or you could buy a used JMP/JCM800 2104/4104. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Splattle101 and Cjsinla like this.
  18. syrinx

syrinx Member

The princton will always make you think what a wonderful guitar a les paul is-it expresses all of its qualities perfectly except one-and thats really the only one the marshall beats it on-IMO

19. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

I usually recommend a DSL40, but based on what you're after, I'd get the Fender with a really good OD pedal. I have a Princeton Reverb 68 RI that's 12 watts and is very quiet for a 12 watt amp. It will begin to break up around 5 and I can use it in my small apartment with no complaints from my neighbors. If I want quiet OD, I'll use a pedal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=b&network=g&gclid=CO7Qjt_frdYCFRcHhgodcrMCNA

20. Dr Cornelius

Dr Cornelius Junior Member

I've had both and kept the marshall. Shoot me if you must but I prefer Marshall cleans to Fender - a slightly edgy clean over the bell like chime of a fender. (Think Graham Coxon)

The Marshall has loads of tonal options too - using the clean channel and then the tone shift button can get you in Jazz territory too imho.