Fender hot rod deluxe ..180 watts?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by OHIOSTEVE, Aug 29, 2017.

1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

I used yo have a hot rod deluxe amp and kinda miss it.. there is one for sale not too far from here at a decent price but it says 180 watts? Mine was a 40 watt amp, and I never knew they made a 180 watt.. I thought it was a mistake but apparently they did make one... Anyway anyone have any experience with these?

2. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

:eek2:
    I would go and check that out! A regular Hot Rod is 40W, but that sounds more like a very souped-up Twin or something. If it is, buy it anyway and just have it to tell your friends "this is so loud it can't be played" :rofl:

3. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

I am afraid that may be true. The 40 was overkill to be honest.

The_Nuge likes this.
  4. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

the 180 watts is the consumption rating not output
    That amp is indeed 40 watts output...... 40 watts of terror huh? I have one too

CCK and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. gball

gball Senior Member

Haha, yeah the seller is reading the label on the back and misunderstanding what it means...
    [​IMG]

6. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Ugh.... there are others doing the same thing. I saw others advertised.

7. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

I can recall days... in the late 60's and early 70's when companies like Unicord/Univox, the great electronics giant of the day "Lafayette Radio Electronics"... and others.... would prominently display the consumed power as if it was the output power. Especially on "solid state" amps. I can remember a Univox bass amp that advertised as 160watts! Its output was more like 25watts!

This isn't so different than power tool manufacturers, who advertise "powerful 3.5 amp motor" (Sears is notorious for this). But, the motor is inefficient, and puts out the power and torque of a 2 amp motor of better design.

Marketing folks have a name for this, its called "measuring-in quality" where they baffle you with comparative numbers that mean little. Radio Shack stereos come to mind for that too.