Fender Amps, Why Are They So Loved

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by yamariv, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

I had started typing, then deleted, then started typing... I am with the last few folks, actually. I love, love, love my two reissue Fender amps. My '63 Vibroverb Ri is one of the prettiest sounding amps I've ever heard. My Bassman Ri is just all out awesome sounding.

I've loved every one of the Silverface amps I've owned. They've sounded incredible! I didn't have to do anything to them while I owned them (well, replace the non original speakers in my Vibrolux, because they got toasted). I never needed to fiddle with the circuits, change any values of any components. They just sounded great.

The only thing that has changed was my taste and the style of music I play. My skills have refined in a certain direction which leads me towards the older Fender circuits. But, I am not hung up on my amps having to be vintage. I hope that my original post did not come across as dismissing any of the later amps or reissues, etc. Some days, I am quite jealous of the tone my fellow musicians get with those post-CBS amps!

2. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Nope, nothing you said came over snobby.

Axis39 likes this.
  3. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

Not the best for tight rhythm playing....too soft and spongy. IMHO.

4. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

I had two pre-cbs Fenders. A 64 Tremolux that had been put into a 1X12 combo cab and a blonde 64 Bandmaster.

Sold them both and kept my 66 Bassman and my 67 Bandmaster because they sound better. IMO

The values of components drift differently thru the years. That's why all the old amps tend to sound a little different.

But then again it's all a bit subjective.

Pappy58 likes this.
  5. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

I think Tweeds generally sound best as a whole class. Many of the reissues are great as well. But back when I first started playing in the late 60s and early 70s , no one wanted to be caught dead with a tweed. Everyone wanted blackface or silverface. Funny how tastes and impressions change.

6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

A freind of mine has a 65 bassman and 2x12, that thing is pretty amazing! man it is loud though... I remember playing at our local convention center with him and when his guitar part hit it was filling the whole place with glorious tone! instant ear gasm :laugh2:

Shelbyblues likes this.
  7. Shelbyblues

I started playing in the late 60's also, and nobody around here wanted a tweed or a blackface when the silverfaces came out.

I like tweeds also but I'm more of a clean player, just the dirty side of clean for lack of a better term, so I prefer a higher watt tweed with some headroom.

I have a 5E7 circuit 57 Bandmaster clone rated at 28 watts that is sometimes borderline when it comes to having enough headroom at the volume I need sometimes with a drummer at our jam sessions, but we don't have any volume restrictions either.

Pappy58 and Axis39 like this.
  8. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

5E7s are the chit! :applause:

Shelbyblues likes this.
  9. Shelbyblues

I like mine.

It's very 3 dimensional sounding to my ears.

Tweed 1.jpg Tweed 2.jpg Tweed 3.jpg

Pappy58 and Splattle101 like this.
  10. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Shelbyblues likes this.
  11. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Started out with Fenders and will end it with Fenders.

Head_Cab_1.jpg

Pappy58 and Shelbyblues like this.
  12. Shelbyblues

That's my 66 Bassman. The cab still has the original C12N Jensens. They sound pretty good to me. B1.jpg

Pappy58 likes this.
  13. Shelbyblues

I started out with them also. I have had numerous Marshall's and various other brands and always end up back on a Fender.

Not that others aren't as good, they just don't work as well for my style of playing as Fenders and Fender voiced amps.

Pappy58 likes this.
  14. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I've owed at least 14 vintage Fender amps '65 - '77.
    Pretty much loved them all, the best being three BF amps ('65 VR, a '66 PR, and a '66 TR).

Wish that I still owned all three BF amps, but my SF Fender amps are still worthy of some Fender love.

I now own an early model ('93) hand-wired Fender Custom Shop, "Vibro King" and it rates right up there with my BF amps in great tone.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Shelbyblues and Pappy58 like this.
  15. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Iv'e played Fenders most of my life... had numerous Blackface amps, many that I bought broke, fixed and flipped. 10 years ago I built the 5E7. I'm currently working on a 5E3 build to compliment it. I have a Dr Z Rte 66 which I play out sometimes to get a plexiglass tone on a big stage. But the 5E7 Bandmaster or the 65 Bassman are the go to's most of the time. :cheers:

Shelbyblues likes this.
  16. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

I always wanted one of those Vibro-Kings they are killer... It's like a roided up 5E7! :naughty:

Gridlock and Shelbyblues like this.
  17. Shelbyblues

I've owned more Blackface's, along with a few Silverface's, in the last 45 years than I can remember.

Other than normal servicing I've only had one that had a "ghost" that took some time to pinpoint.

It ended up being a semi-broke wire between the eyelet/turret board and the chassis.

18. Shelbyblues

@Pappy58

I still have a 67 Bandmaster also. Had it a fairly long time maybe 10 or 12 years.

In stock configuration when I bought it. Original head cab the previous owner had recovered by Mojotone.
    The speaker cab is a Mojotone repro that came with it. I pulled the Jensen RI's out and sold them and loaded it with two 64 Jensen C12N's out of a blonde 64 Bandmaster cab I had.
    134_2227.jpg

It's currently in a JD Newell combo cab with a 4 ohm Weber 12A150.

I like the way it sound in the open back with the alnico speaker. It changes the character of the amp for the better IMO.... but I'm not a big fan of closed back cabs.
    Combo 1.jpg Combo 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Pappy58 and Gridlock like this.
  19. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. mikey19504

mikey19504 Junior Member

Look at how dropped in that neck pup is!

Pappy58 likes this.